Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default V-dubbed: Beach Bum Golf MK2

My VW finally arrived Tuesday. I got to work. This is a much less clean project I am trying to give it the looks of age and multiple owners. Don't mind the wheelbase placement, none of the mounts are done and the model itself is crooked, so the left and right don't match up yet.

The car was red at one time and the cheap respray didn't take care of the motor bay.

I chipped the paint using a technique I found on a website on building resin figures. You use salt. Spray the base color (silver) then apply the salt in the parts you want chipped with water, let it dry. It was a little trickier because I needed red and blue. So I applied the salt, masked off the motorbay and sprayed the blue. Clumping the salt together makes larger patches missing. I used a two-part water, one part matt black paint solution to dirty it. I applied it in all of the body lines, and lifted the excess with a paper towel. After it dried I gave it a wetsand.

Tonight I am going to add rust, the hood will be completely rusted and rust in the larger chips and around the under chassis. I still need a roof rack, and details. I have some tricks up my sleeve to make the interior scale, and am working on bumper stickers.

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome.