Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > Misc Electric
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 10-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Subaru Nut

Trader Rating: (7)
Default How do I stop my front tires on my 1/16 E-Revo from balloning?

Pretty much as the title says. I have a 1/16 e-revo and I run a 11.1v lipo on it. I have the central differential witch is supposed to stop the wheelies but I want the ballooning to stop. I don't want to put my new tires on(new stock ones) just to have them get torn and destroyed. I got them for the winter but again I don't want them to just ruin all the fun of it loosing control and stuff in the snow.

I have 100k weight in the rear differential and the central differential. In the front I have 10k.

What should I do so the ballooning stops. I have 10k weight and 100k weight. If I need to get another weight please let me know of witch weight.

Thanks for any help guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 10-25-2009, 01:10 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Honestly, fill the center diff with epoxy, I do this to all my cars with a center diff. Or get some heavier diff lube for the center, the problem there is as it heats up it gets thinner and you end up with the same problem. You should be able to control the wheelies with the throttle trigger
Old 10-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Subaru Nut

So what your saying is pretty much make it a spool diff? Or should i switch back to the stock one that its all solid? I never would have thought the heat would effect it. I would run it then when I bring it in and change the weight when I was trying to dial it in it was like thinned and just very liquidy. But then it would slowly become more of a jelly.
Quote:
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 10-25-2009, 02:21 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

if your stock one is solid, yes, change it back to that. what you are doing is basically with the center diff you are applying most of the power to the front wheels as soon as the wheels come off the ground, which isn't a good thing as you can see with the tires ballooning and possibly ripping. if your running 11.1 lipo your asking for it to wheelie. control your wheelies with your throttle finger or drop the lipo back down to a 2s

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 10-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Subaru Nut

Ohh I see thanks zippo. I know throttle control but I really wanted to just make it go fast but I soon realized its not as fun as driving it for a long period.

Kinda off but I don't want to make another thread...The lipos label came off cause it got slightly wet. I wrapped mine in black electric tape and my dads in scotch tape(so you can easily tell. I know off the balancer piece but he doesn't. ) Is that okay or should I take the tape off.

Also if I where to get 2 7.4v 2000mah lipos and put them in parallel with the y harness would that be okay or would it be bad?

Final question...Is there a way to make a lipo water proof or snow proof. I am going to run them in snow but I want to make sure its safe.

Final final question....Where do you guys get your lipos. I know they are different sizes but they might sell the 1/16 ones.

I know that's alot of questions lol, Thanks so much guys
Quote:
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 10-25-2009, 03:26 PM
XMS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadV8 View Post
Ohh I see thanks zippo. I know throttle control but I really wanted to just make it go fast but I soon realized its not as fun as driving it for a long period.
yeah anything really really fast is fun, for about 5 minutes, then the flips, cartwheels, spinouts get old. in the end you want something that is fast, but still controllable

Kinda off but I don't want to make another thread...The lipos label came off cause it got slightly wet. I wrapped mine in black electric tape and my dads in scotch tape(so you can easily tell. I know off the balancer piece but he doesn't. ) Is that okay or should I take the tape off.
i would just wrap them both in electrical tape. if you want to diffrentiate the 2, use 2 diff colored tape. scotch tape isnt going to do much as far as protection, it will soon unstick it self. its best to use what is reccomended, electrical tape.

Also if I where to get 2 7.4v 2000mah lipos and put them in parallel with the y harness would that be okay or would it be bad?
be the same as a single 7.4 lipo, just twice the run time. not sure if that would be too long of running without a break or not.

Final question...Is there a way to make a lipo water proof or snow proof. I am going to run them in snow but I want to make sure its safe.
if your taping them up with electrical tape, that is a start, then the only thing you have to worry about is where the wires come out of the battery and tape are. no matter how tight you get that tape, you wont get a 100 percent seal i know i used to take some automotive grade silicone and put some on the wires where its going to be coming through the tape. definately help seal a little better.
put a little silicone on it, let it start to harden a little then finish taping it off. then all you have to worry about is the battery plug connection and the lipo balancer connection. the balancer you can wrap a small balloon over it and a rubber band. the connection to the esc, its a little messy, but you can smear some dielectric grease over the plug after you connect the 2.

Final final question....Where do you guys get your lipos. I know they are different sizes but they might sell the 1/16 ones.

I know that's alot of questions lol, Thanks so much guys
i get mine at the local hobby shop, no clue about the ones specific for these so i'll let osmeone else answer.

responses in red

TEAM X.I.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Subaru Nut

zippoo that is perfect exactly what I wanted to hear. I did not know if the tape was bad for them so I unwrapped my dads incase it was bad I did not want to be the one to have to replace them. In that case I will rewrap them in the tape. I don't use a balancer cause the charger I have does not balance. I will put balloons over that plug though. I will do like you said with the silicone and let it harden then finish.

Small question now lol. If the wires to the balance plug where to become undone and touch would that short and cause it to inflate and all that?
And does the balance make a huge difference like will I notice it?

Again thank you so much for the help. Alot more help than other places.
Quote:
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 10-25-2009, 09:17 PM
XMS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadV8 View Post
zippoo that is perfect exactly what I wanted to hear. I did not know if the tape was bad for them so I unwrapped my dads incase it was bad I did not want to be the one to have to replace them. In that case I will rewrap them in the tape. I don't use a balancer cause the charger I have does not balance. I will put balloons over that plug though. I will do like you said with the silicone and let it harden then finish.

Small question now lol. If the wires to the balance plug where to become undone and touch would that short and cause it to inflate and all that?
And does the balance make a huge difference like will I notice it?

Again thank you so much for the help. Alot more help than other places.
you need to buy a seperate balancer for those lipos if your charger doesnt balance as well. if you dont balance them you run risks of imbalanced voltage, mah, and a whole bunch of other things. which in itself can cause the lipos to expand and or explode while charging or while running in the car. and as long as you put a balloon over the plug and a rubber band it should come undon while running.

TEAM X.I.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Subaru Nut

Cool thank you for the info zippoo I will definitely look into a balancer.
Quote:
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 10-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

Like zippo said, you really need to get a separate balancer for your Li-Po's.. or get a charger with a built in balancer. I've got the Thunder AC6, it's a great charger and is only $55. The Onyx 230 is $80 and has no balancer..

And, I can't remember where the heck I got my Turnigy's from.. but here's some that are right around the same price:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...00mAh_2S1P_20C

You will need to solder on whichever connector you use, as I doubt you use the style that is on this battery. Or, you can just take those dimensions listed, and go hunting.

As for your ballooning issues, I'm not sure myself. Are you on the Traxxas forums? Do some research over there, lots of guys have done different things. You could also tape the inside of your tires before you glue them together if you haven't already, that will help some.