Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 08:20 PM
製作者

Trader Rating: (0)

But it runs off the charge and dump method that sweed said.It doesnt run directly off the solar panel.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
I call shenanigans.

The video does not show the same car that had no batteries being placed on the ground. Those cells from a calculator, even in the sunlight they would not have enough out put for an xmod, much less in a room with fluorescent bulbs. Several guys on XMS even went threw the calculations of using much higher quality solar cells to power them and found that the size panel needed to produced the power and current for the xmod would have exceeded the size of the car.

Unless your using the solar cell to charge some battery, which is another story. But then it's not being solar power, just charged.
Agreed, this is what I was indicating with my earlier post. The voltage from the solar panel must meet a higher voltage than the batteries nominal charge to efficiently charge the battery to any reasonably usable amount. for a li-ion thats 3.7 volts. As in my above post it would take around SEVEN 3X6 solar panels to acheive that nominal voltage, since each one of that size can output a maximum voltage of .5V

.5x7= 3.5, which would provide maybe a half charge, because 3.7 li-ions charge to around 4.1-4.3V. 3.5 is more like a halfway charge.

Even at that, what is regulating the voltage? You need specialized chargers for lithium batteries, you can't just hook them up to a power source. They have a special charging requirement. They cannot take a linear voltage. Please inform me as to what your using to regulate the charging from the solar cell to the battery.

Last edited by Action B; 04-24-2009 at 09:11 PM..
Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 PM
製作者

Unless your using the solar cell to charge some battery, which is another story. But then it's not being solar power, just charged.
-----------
Ok now that i can sort of agree with.I am using the solar cell to charge a battery.I have an amp from a disposable camera to increase the power.

Last edited by Gearhead14; 04-24-2009 at 09:17 PM..
Old 04-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Elite member

**** it.
I was just skimming over the front page, and I mistakenly click on this thread, thinking it said "Salad Power!!!"
But, instead it came to this thread...
Old 04-25-2009, 02:15 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead14 View Post
-----------
Ok now that i can sort of agree with.I am using the solar cell to charge a battery.I have an amp from a disposable camera to increase the power.
Still wanting to know how you are charging a lithiuim battery from a constant voltage power source. Lithiums cannot take a linear charge.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Banned

ok guys, why would you crack on some guy's ideas like that? i mean, he came up with a creative way to run (or charge) his xmod and then you guys call it bs because why? he didnt get the terms right? its one thing to take constructive critisism, its another thing to watch and call a guys ideas BS. to me, thats a bucnh of BS. gearhead, i would keep working on that idea and make it perfect, becuz its more creative than building a model xmod or painting an xmod body, like everyone says they are so good at, which really isnt that hard. gearhead, i congrat you and praise your idea, becuz it is a very creative idea that has to do with modifiying an xmod. keep it up man, ill be watching this thread.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:03 AM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

even if it doesn't work, it was in spirit of Earth day, so it doesn't matter anyways
Old 04-25-2009, 09:16 AM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcxmoddagger View Post
ok guys, why would you crack on some guy's ideas like that? i mean, he came up with a creative way to run (or charge) his xmod and then you guys call it bs because why? he didnt get the terms right? its one thing to take constructive critisism, its another thing to watch and call a guys ideas BS. to me, thats a bucnh of BS. gearhead, i would keep working on that idea and make it perfect, becuz its more creative than building a model xmod or painting an xmod body, like everyone says they are so good at, which really isnt that hard. gearhead, i congrat you and praise your idea, becuz it is a very creative idea that has to do with modifiying an xmod. keep it up man, ill be watching this thread.
the reason people are cracking on him is because its not feasible. run the numbers.. what kind of voltage is that solar cell putting out, even with the amp? the mah that the solar cell is putting out is going to be so low (considering it was made to power a calculator) that its going to take days oof being in the sunlight to charge it. cool idea? yes. creative? yes. pratical? no. and
Quote:
becuz its more creative than building a model xmod or painting an xmod body, like everyone says they are so good at, which really isnt that hard
if there not that hard to do, then why doesnt everyone do it? why doesnt everyones paint jobs turn out flawless. this is a pretty wild claim from someone who only owns stock xmods, and doesnt even have them posted up anywhere..............................

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 04-25-2009, 10:53 AM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

I'm as well watching this thread, but for all the wrong reasons. Everyone needs to start choosing their words wisely and plan what they're going to respond with before hitting the submit button. I would rather not have to see this thread closed.

To Gearhead14: Kudos to you for having the guts to tear apart both a calculator and an Xmod to try to see if everything would work out. Whether or not it does, it's still an awesome experiment that most people never got past the planning stage with.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 04-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo855 View Post
the reason people are cracking on him is because its not feasible. run the numbers.. what kind of voltage is that solar cell putting out, even with the amp? the mah that the solar cell is putting out is going to be so low (considering it was made to power a calculator) that its going to take days oof being in the sunlight to charge it. cool idea? yes. creative? yes. pratical? no. and

if there not that hard to do, then why doesnt everyone do it? why doesnt everyones paint jobs turn out flawless. this is a pretty wild claim from someone who only owns stock xmods, and doesnt even have them posted up anywhere..............................
I agree.

As I have known it, Amps don't work in the way Gearhead is trying to describe it. Amps amplify an electronic input, but it also requires energy. You'd have to plug the amp into some other power source to amplify the power from the sun. Amps don't create more power, they are devices that USE power to amplify a signal. The power doesn't come directly from the source its amplifying. If this is not correct Gearhead, please let me know how it is being used and why it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid
Kudos to you for having the guts to tear apart both a calculator and an Xmod to try to see if everything would work out. Whether or not it does, it's still an awesome experiment that most people never got past the planning stage with.
There is only shame in posting misinformation and misleading a community into believing fallacies, this is the reason for the uproar. There is significant reason to believe this may be the case here. The site is here to promote knowledge, this knowledge posted is reviewed by a set of other knowledgeable peers. By letting things slide that seem utterly impossible your only hurting the community. All of us here questioning this are only worried about the quality of the content posted on this community's forum.

Also, if this was presented as an idea, we all would have been very supportive. To us so far, it looks like Gearhead didn't get past the planning stage, he skipped it.

On another note, anyone know the minimum voltage required for the xmod circuit board to even power on? Has anyone ran off of one lithium here?

-Gearhead, you've suggested that you can do what seems feasibly impossible, I'm sure we'll all have a lot of questions for you about this topic. I think that perhaps the best way to do give to the community and stop the doubt is to post a full tutorial on how to build this solar powered xmod, with detailed pictures so that we too, can make a solar powered xmod.

Last edited by Action B; 04-25-2009 at 11:27 AM..
Old 04-25-2009, 11:35 AM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

I was not looking for an explanation, Action B. I was looking for a calmer and cooler approach to things. I know perfectly well why things have gotten out of hand in this thead; an explaination to a moderator at this point just points towards sarcasm. Hopefully that is not what you were pointing at in this instance.

By jumping on Gearhead and his idea I'm sure no one is going to get the proper answer they are looking for. Actally, most of you already seem to have found the answer you were looking for: it doesn't work. I have yet to see Gearhead post back to a positive reply. I have also yet to see anyone give him a pat on the back for at least trying. Whether it works or not is a totally different variable and a totally different topic. I'm sure we've all done something in the past that didn't work, but that doesn't mean we should all be beaten with a stick for not being able to accomplish anything. At least we all tried to be creative and tried to accomplish something, just like in this instance where Gearhead tried to make a solar powered Xmod.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Last edited by Donziikid; 04-25-2009 at 11:42 AM..
Old 04-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
I was not looking for an explanation, Action B. I was looking for a calmer and cooler approach to things. I know perfectly well why things have gotten out of hand in this thead; an explaination to a moderator at this point just points towards sarcasm. Hopefully that is not what you were pointing at in this instance.

By jumping on Gearhead and his idea I'm sure no one is going to get the proper answer they are looking for. Actally, most of you already seem to have found the answer you were looking for: it doesn't work. I have yet to see Gearhead post back to a positive reply. I have also yet to see anyone give him a pat on the back for at least trying. Whether it works or not is a totally different variable and a totally different topic. I'm sure we've all done something in the past that didn't work, but that doesn't mean we should all be beaten with a stick for not being able to accomplish anything. At least we all tried to be creative and tried to accomplish something, just like in this instance where Gearhead tried to make a solar powered Xmod.
Everything I said I meant. I'd prefer to continue any personal conversation outside of this thread. I don't want to clutter it up with bickering. I'm sure all moderators and users can agree that is in the best interest of the community. I'll just watch from now and keep my technical on-topic questions to myself.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned

no, im not saying that it will work or even if it did work, im saying that this guy actually has a sense of imagination and creativity and i find it extremly offensive that people are bsing this guy when he tried to do something a little different. so im reluctant to post my ideas and projects that dont make sense.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:13 PM
製作者

Ty for sticking up for me and for all the kudos.I think it would be best if we all tried to make this project better as opposed to bickering on whether or not it works.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

ok at a risk of being beaten to death with my own spleen im going to post on topic

ditch the solar cell you have it wont work end of story

for a cheep option get a couple of the solar lights you see in garden centres , you can pick them up pretty cheep

now tear into them like a mad man and you will find a solar cell that charges 2x aa batterys
so get yourself two of the solar cells and wire each to 2 of your car batterys
a good 6 hours sun should charge them up

there may be a small circuit board in the casing , if there is use it this will be a ballencer for the charger

XMS and XMF february COTM winner