Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)
Default XXX Project: 69' GTO Judge

Thanks to XMS I have an excuse for yet another awsome build that I can't wait to start. (The Ford Lightning is waiting on the shelf, and the crawler is awaiting parts ... and of course the dragster is coming to an end)

So, anyway, I decided on my January COTM entry and here she is The 1969 GTO Judge. That's right going with the GOAT. First a little history:

The 1969 model did not have the vent windows, had a slight grille and taillight revision, moved the ignition key from the dashboard to the steering column (which locked the steering wheel when the key was removed, a Federal requirement installed one year ahead of schedule), and the gauge faces changed from steel blue to black. In addition, the rear quarter-panel mounted side marker lamps changed from a red lens shaped like the Pontiac "V" crest to one shaped like the broad GTO badge. Front outboard headrests were made standard equipment on all GTOs built after January 1, 1969.

The previous economy engine and standard 350 hp 400 CID V8 remained, while the 360 hp (270 kW) 400HO was upgraded to the Ram Air III, rated at 366 hp (273 kW) at 5,100 rpm. The top option was the 370 hp (280 kW) Ram Air IV, which featured special header-like high-flow exhaust manifolds, high-flow cylinder heads, a specific high-rise aluminum intake manifold, larger Rochester QuadraJet four-barrel carburetor, high-lift/long-duration camshaft, plus various internal components capable of withstanding higher engine speeds and power output. Unlike the big-block Chevy and Hemi motors, the Ram Air IV utilized hydraulic lifters. As a result, it did not overheat in traffic, nor did it foul spark plugs, which set it apart from the large-displacement performance engines seen in other muscle cars.

By this time, the gross power ratings of both Ram Air engines were highly suspect, bearing less relationship to developed power and more to an internal GM policy limiting all cars except the Corvette to no more than one advertised horsepower per 10 lb (4.5 kg) of curb weight. The higher-revving Ram Air IV's advertised power peak was actually listed at 5,000 rpm—100 rpm lower than the less-powerful Ram Air III.

The Ram Air V was introduced in 1969. It was a special 400 block with newly designed high compression tunnel port heads and a special high rise intake manifold. A prototype GTO so equipped could go 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds, and the quarter-mile time was 11.5 seconds at 123 mph (198 km/h). Ram Air Vs were not installed in GTOs at the factory; it was available only as an "over-the-counter" product, and most went to Pontiac racers of the time.

The significant event of 1969 was the launch of a new model called 'The Judge'. The Judge name came from a comedy routine, "Here Comes the Judge", used repeatedly on the "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In TV" show. Advertisements used slogans like "All rise for The Judge" and "The Judge can be bought." As originally conceived, the Judge was to be a low-cost GTO, stripped of some gimmicks to make it competitive with the Plymouth Road Runner. During its development, however, it was decided to make it the ultimate in street performance and image. The resulting package ended up being US$337.02 more expensive than a standard GTO, and included the Ram Air III engine, Rally II wheels without trim rings, Hurst shifter (with a unique T-shaped handle), wider tires, various decals, and a rear spoiler. Pontiac claimed that the spoiler had some functional effect at higher speeds, producing a small but measurable down force, but it was of little value at legal speeds except for style. The Judge was initially offered only in "Carousel Red," but late in the model year a variety of other colors became available.

Some eye candy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hU8Q...eature=related

And here's what I got to get started:

Of course I will be going with my XXX Black & Red style and will be building the motor and working hood as well as interior on this one.

So stay tuned for the build progress. Let's get this party started. XXX

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901

Last edited by TripleXmodder(akaXXX); 01-11-2009 at 04:31 AM..
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 AM
SPR

where in the hell do you get all your freaking money geez! i dont think i have half wraped up into xmods as you, and i know how much that hurt my pocket book lol.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
where in the hell do you get all your freaking money geez! i dont think i have half wraped up into xmods as you, and i know how much that hurt my pocket book lol.
I make sure to stash a percent of every paycheck to my hobby fund. I also work my a$$ off. I'll go half the year without really buying anything with it. Right now i'm in the other half of the year.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (19)

Looks like it will be a good project. I have two but am undecided on which one to do: Hemi Cuda or a Chavelle ss. But good luck with this one and can't wait to see it done.
I need alloy rims but not the rs alloy rims. If you have some you are willing to part with let me know. Paying top dollar for them and even better if they are top cad alloy rims as I will pay full price and a half for them.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:18 AM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdragon View Post
Looks like it will be a good project. I have two but am undecided on which one to do: Hemi Cuda or a Chavelle ss. But good luck with this one and can't wait to see it done.
Both very nice, I would go with the SS. But what year.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to NETC_redd

very nice. I saw a judge out in s dakota once...thing was beautiful.

big cars though...i'd never want to parallel park one

is testors spray enamel the usual spray paint everyone uses? Usually on my models I use auto paint, which means I can match up the colors perfectly.
'77 Chevy Corvette
Old 01-11-2009, 09:13 AM
SPR

im not a fan of testors at all. i will never use it. but i guess over the last couple years they have stepped it up some. so i havnt tried the newer stuff...

the only paint ill ever use is tamiya color. Best paint ever. period.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:37 AM

Black dragon-1970 chevelle ss 454...money in the bank...Nicest sounding car in the world besides a '67 gt500 mustang
Old 01-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETC_redd View Post
very nice. I saw a judge out in s dakota once...thing was beautiful.

big cars though...i'd never want to parallel park one

is testors spray enamel the usual spray paint everyone uses? Usually on my models I use auto paint, which means I can match up the colors perfectly.
Testors is fine, I use whatever. Im not to picky in that dept. They all look good to me. I use Tamiya alot to, but mostly on lexan.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:47 PM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
why he pulls it out of his butt... Great idea!!! this is gonna be amazing!! i can't wait to see it done and kick my butt in the COTM :-P

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 01-11-2009, 04:28 PM
dirtlover/moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

looks like a great project...one of my favorite cars...ever seen the one in Dazed and Confused?.......

Team X.I.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Stage 2 member

Send a message via AIM to NETC_redd

i don't think people watched that movie for the car...
'77 Chevy Corvette
Old 01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
why he pulls it out of his butt... Great idea!!! this is gonna be amazing!! i can't wait to see it done and kick my butt in the COTM :-P
Step the game up, I just love the build process. Let's get it going, driving to out do each other will result in Bada$$ cars all around. What do you have planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydfanYodaman View Post
looks like a great project...one of my favorite cars...ever seen the one in Dazed and Confused?.......
I don't remember I haven't seen that movies in YEARS. Was it at the beginning of the movie.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
washed-up, retired, cool.

I usually use Tamiya or Krylon, both work great. It all really matters on what color you want and the prep on the body before the paint.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
the torqueinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXmodder(akaXXX) View Post
Step the game up, I just love the build process. Let's get it going, driving to out do each other will result in Bada$$ cars all around. What do you have planned.
Read my sig :-P those are my plans if i can collect the money

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Read my sig :-P those are my plans if i can collect the money
Sorry, ..... That will be pretty nice. I love that car. Make sure with the Chilli and Lith, you will need at-least a 2x3 fet stack, but I suggest a V2.2 regulated board. That is top notch. Can't wait, any plans on paint and body work.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:42 PM
the torqueinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXmodder(akaXXX) View Post
Sorry, ..... That will be pretty nice. I love that car. Make sure with the Chilli and Lith, you will need at-least a 2x3 fet stack, but I suggest a V2.2 regulated board. That is top notch. Can't wait, any plans on paint and body work.
lol didn't mean to be snippy no reason to appologize yea i might get the regulator board but i am hoping that XI brings back the chilli.... if not i will be sticking with stock motor for the COTM...but i think the liths will make it run faster anyway... i don't buy from atomic mods because they require you to make a separate account other than just paypal....

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
Old 01-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Elite member

hey our kits are a little different

this should be a good comp

In other words velcro will work just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodkidd33 View Post
Xmods are a universal language.
SMOKE TIRES NOT DRUGS
Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
lol didn't mean to be snippy no reason to appologize yea i might get the regulator board but i am hoping that XI brings back the chilli.... if not i will be sticking with stock motor for the COTM...but i think the liths will make it run faster anyway... i don't buy from atomic mods because they require you to make a separate account other than just paypal....
You can buy the Chilli here: http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-mot...cPath=293_1149

I don't buy anything XI. They are a rip, but I won't get into it.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Working Class Hero

Just a little tease. Keep in mind this is a mockup and not the final chassis. The bottom is CF and the top is Lexan. hehe, I threw in the spikes underneath for fun.

Those tires look so teeny tiny. LOL, those are not the tires I'm using. That pic is just to show that the chassis is centered with the wheel wells of the body.

AM's Mini-Z Lith set, Atomic Stock R motor, XXX chassis ... That's just for starters.