Go Back   XmodSource.com > Mini & Micro > Mini & Micro Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2009, 01:53 AM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Default Bone Stock Supra + New Mounting System

Here's my latest brew- a new lego mounting system that nor adds weight when not in use nor interferes with Kyosho clip slots. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you want; can lead to virtually any point in the upper area of the body; can be used to mount ballasts or act as a reinforcement frame.

Supra itself will be further stripped of stock (beat up) paint to look new and I'll repaint the windows black/dark blue/green/etc and panel line this sucker.

Front clip was made out of styrene and Kyosho cement. Body-side mount point was glued using the same stuff and 2-3 pieces of .5mm styrene to lower the rear end enough to allow fancier body kits later on.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:20 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

nice! good idea with the legos!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:42 AM
SPR

haha that actually is pretty clever using the legos to stick to each other to hold it on. very creative.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:27 AM
Modifier

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

My only concern is whether or not they'd add enough unwanted weight to the top. No way around than to test it on the track. My #2 concern would be to figure out a way to mount some lead to a rear-extended frame t osimulate having both RM and MM configs and glue the rear tires to the ground even more. If this works, this might just become a very promising custom chassis that can easily accomodate mod motors.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to greenday Send a message via Yahoo to greenday

Wow, the next time I use Legos I'll have to talk like that to make them sound technologically superior to all other clip/fastening forms. LOL, you did make it sound pretty crazy, but I liek to use legos, and your frame system looks pretty cool. On a mini-z though? I thought being cheap and using Legos's was something reserved for us poor boy XMODders. lol, j/k.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Modifier

Well, since I don't have spare clips nor want to custom fit scratch-built ones each time, I figured I'll try legos. They may prove to be much more rigid and actually keep the body on unlike quite a bit of kyosho stock bodies using clips. So if I can build something like a racing tank that at the very least won't suffer from losing the body, that already will be a step forward. The body shape would fent off any rolling well, and smooth front bumper will help force its way out of minor wall-crashes.

I make it sound technical because it has huge potential to be and legos are easy to shape and hold together very well.

I may try a whole car frame outta styrene sometime down the road and I have a feeling this technique will prove extremely useful then.