Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Hakosuka Love

Trader Rating: (5)
Default Original work in art or design? HALP

Hey guys, I was considering applying at an art school to head into industrial design.
but I saw the very first sentence of the portfolio requirements:

Select approximately 15 pieces of your original work in art or design

my question is, Would this be considered 'original', considering the time and
labor i put into making this? I'll need educated answers, as this is for an art
UNIVERSITY. I can't take chances haha.

as you guys may or may not know, I'm building the HKS altezza.

and my rendition is:
Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

If I remember correctly you have to change 75% of the composition for it to be an original piece of work. In that case, it would not count.

Also most portfolios are broken into 3 bracketts. Sculpture, Drawing, and 2-d. Sculpture is obvious. Drawing encompossess drawing painting and sculpture, and 2-d is drawing ,painting, printing, digital and photography. This could possibly be submitted into a "breadth" category, which is a supplimentary works category used to express an artist's diversity.

My suggestion would be to look for local portfolio reviews, and take the photos and or originals with you. Keep in mind photographic composition as well as detail to the source.

edit: Which school is it? You might also request a brochure which will showcase their top students work and/or teaching style. This will help you get into the school that is right for what you want to do.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Hakosuka Love

Trader Rating: (5)

The art univ. is the Ontario College of Art and Design, or simply, OCAD. As far as I know, this school has the reputation in my area/province as one of the best. Other universities offer art and/or design programs as well, however some don't have industrial design as a specific major.

75% sounds right haha. I was asking because a mutual friend of one of my friends got into OCAD, and one of her pieces consist of a diorama, but with mostly pre-made dollar store figures. Maybe I could 'cheat' the system by not showing them my direct inspiration (HKS image), but rather something relative to it (Super GT cars, for example)?

Thanks though, really appreciate it surgeon!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:16 PM
XMS ADMINISTRATOR

Trader Rating: (17)

I know little to nothing about this subject, but I recall someone here submitting a custom XMOD as part of a portfolio to get into some sort of college. I can't remember who it was or where the thread is, but hopefully someone will remember who it is if I posted.
My XMODS
Proud member of Team NCXR

WANTED: Gen. 1 cf Chassis Upgrade (just parts from the upgrade will do fine)
Old 09-16-2010, 07:37 PM
dirtlover/moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

wasnt it c1v1c with the blue honda project that went on forever?...for my school, URI, i had to submit a portfolio of my current work to get into the landscape architecture program...only 20 per year accepted...i say go for it!

Team X.I.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ya it was c1v1c

EDIT: Correction it was C.I.V.I.C http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10934, sorry

Last edited by theoriganalRiD3R1967; 09-16-2010 at 08:15 PM..
Old 09-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipsoulja View Post
The art univ. is the Ontario College of Art and Design, or simply, OCAD. As far as I know, this school has the reputation in my area/province as one of the best. Other universities offer art and/or design programs as well, however some don't have industrial design as a specific major.

75% sounds right haha. I was asking because a mutual friend of one of my friends got into OCAD, and one of her pieces consist of a diorama, but with mostly pre-made dollar store figures. Maybe I could 'cheat' the system by not showing them my direct inspiration (HKS image), but rather something relative to it (Super GT cars, for example)?

Thanks though, really appreciate it surgeon!
Assemblage is a really cool style of art, but it takes the objects outside of their natural scope, thus recreating the composition of them. Check out the artwork of Khris Kuksi for one of the best examples off the top of my head.

I wouldn't recommend doing that, as it would be plagarism, which would get you kicked out of any art school. It is something that is highly frowned upon.