Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > Misc Nitro
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Homemade 'Shock Socks'

Hey guys, I wanted to show you this mod I did with my GT2 about a month ago... I believe its been done many times before, but here it goes!

Enjoy:

Don't mind the shock on the other side... I ran out of the darker shade of orange and ended up having only loose ones. The 'long' balloons are perfect for this. I used the regular oval shaped ones.

EDIT: Here's an action shot I just made:

Here's the step-by-step how-to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafix Ink. from DurhamRC
Make your own shock covers
This is an old, tried and true modification, but for those of you out there who have not tried it, its well worth the time.
Ripping it up in the dirt with an RC monster is a hoot, no doubt about it. Downside is, well, the DIRT. Crud-covered shocks can be a big problem, as the dirt will start wearing out seals and scratching shafts. Before you know it, you got yourselfs some leaks going on there.
There are some excellent shock covers available from RC shops and sites, but if you want to save a penny or two, you might want to try and make your own covers. Its EASY.
First off, buy a bag of balloons. As in party-balloons. The ones you want are those long thin ones. Got em? OK then, lets get to work.

> Step 1:
Remove the spring & spring retainers from the shocks.

> Step 2:
Inflate the balloon

> Step 3:
Cut the "nozzle section" off the balloon (don't cut too much at this point)

> Step 4:
While widening the balloon opening with your fingers, drop the shock spring into the balloon (REDisFASTER: A neat trick is you stick the spring inside a 2L soda bottle, place the balloon on the opening, then squeeze the bottle! The air in the bottle helps to inflate the balloon, and while its being inflated, the spring slides in nice and smoothly!)

> Step 5:
Allow the spring to fully extend inside the balloon.

> Step 6:
With the spring fully extended inside the balloon, trim end of balloon, leaving about 2-3 cm beyond the end of the spring.

> Step 7:
Roll remainder of ballon "lip" inside the sping, then install the upper spring retainer.

> Step 8:
Cut small hole in end of balloon, big enough to poke the shock shaft though.

> Step 9:
Slide covered spring on to shock, install lower shock retainer.

> Step 10:
Git out there and get em dirty!
And a couple of small tips I'd like to add:
For those who can't afford (?) or can't seem to locate Du-Bro's body clip retainers, a good tip would be to just slide it onto a hole on your car's body!
In this case, I slid my body clips onto the tank fill-up/opening hole!

Another tip, especially for nitro vehicles with bodies that slide over top of your exhaust stinger, is to take a piece of fuel tubing, cut it in half (lengthwise) and roll it into the hole on your body for the exhaust. This way, your body doesn't slowly cut up your stinger from all the vibration (its true, there have been cases where stingers have been damaged by vibration from bodies!).

Last edited by REDisFASTER; 01-03-2008 at 01:21 AM..
Old 01-03-2008, 05:22 AM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289

Now this is a good mod,im going to try it today.. THANKS ALOT !!!

how did you get a video to be something like a moving picture ??

Last edited by snowboi1289; 01-03-2008 at 05:26 AM..
Old 01-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via AIM to xmodificationer Send a message via Yahoo to xmodificationer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboi1289 View Post
Now this is a good mod,im going to try it today.. THANKS ALOT !!!

how did you get a video to be something like a moving picture ??
its a .gif file. I might try this with my propulse.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:21 AM
US Air Force

Trader Rating: (9)

looks interesting. i will try this out on my mini-t
Old 01-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Ha, that is tricky. Going to do it on the Propulse when I get motivated to mess with it.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 01-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Proud Supra owner!

Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via AIM to WhiteMKIV Send a message via MSN to WhiteMKIV Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteMKIV

Does it add any performance to it? Or is it more of a spring dress up? it looks good. especially if you have oil filled shocks it would keep them clean or more cleaner i guess?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
that wasnt exactly a good first post....

but im flattered my tool box turns you on
Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Read it

Quote:
Downside is, well, the DIRT. Crud-covered shocks can be a big problem, as the dirt will start wearing out seals and scratching shafts. Before you know it, you got yourselfs some leaks going on there.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 01-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Xmod Expert

That's right! The words aren't there just to take up space between the pictures!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Ha, that is tricky. Going to do it on the Propulse when I get motivated to mess with it.
Motivated? Know that feeling..
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

I haven't messed with it in awhile. I lost the dremel cutoff-wheel's screw, so I can't cut the metal disks in the driff to allow a pin to go though, perma locking the SOB.

That, and it's kinda cold and windy today, so screw that.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Stage 2 member

i gotta get some ballons for my 3.3 jato... thats a pretty ingenious homemade mod right there...

TwitchyVirus
Old 01-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via AIM to xmodificationer Send a message via Yahoo to xmodificationer

I goota do this yay in on a iPhone
Old 01-04-2008, 06:44 PM
is here

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

I gotta get some balloons to put on my Nitro Stampede's shocks now. Thanks RED! Forget about my crappy, messed up Pro-Pulse. Nitro is better by far! My wheelie bar is still yet to come!

EDIT. My exhaust comes out the rear below the body, I don't have to do that mod which you posted. Dual rear exhaust is great! Lol. Sorry. I am such a show-off.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodracer1 View Post
I gotta get some balloons to put on my Nitro Stampede's shocks now. Thanks RED! Forget about my crappy, messed up Pro-Pulse. Nitro is better by far! My wheelie bar is still yet to come!

EDIT. My exhaust comes out the rear below the body, I don't have to do that mod which you posted. Dual rear exhaust is great! Lol. Sorry. I am such a show-off.
Yeah yeah... Still won't have nothing one me... Saving up for a big block... LRP Z.28R... 3.8 horspower fury in that light little machine! Will be one heck of a truck after I'm done!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:02 PM
is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDisFASTER View Post
Yeah yeah... Still won't have nothing one me... Saving up for a big block... LRP Z.28R... 3.8 horspower fury in that light little machine! Will be one heck of a truck after I'm done!
Lol. Will it be able to scare a Jato 3.3 back into its box? I need new shocks as I posted before this place was hacked. Hmm...what can I do with $35? May just go back to stockers. If it breaks again, I'll go more durable.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Xmod Expert

It'll do MUCH more than that! You know Team Losi's LST? The one with the Mach 427 engine? I was talking with a guy on RCU who has a Mach 427 in his Jato... The LRP Z.28R will certainly put the Jato back in its box and ship it back to Plano, Texas, right back to Traxxas!!!

But yeah, if I were to get the non-pullstart version (would mean I would have to buy a starterbox sooner, I will be 0.1 HP short of 4 horsepower!!! (4 - 0.1 = 3.9 for those with math deficiency )
Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 PM
is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDisFASTER View Post
It'll do MUCH more than that! You know Team Losi's LST? The one with the Mach 427 engine? I was talking with a guy on RCU who has a Mach 427 in his Jato... The LRP Z.28R will certainly put the Jato back in its box and ship it back to Plano, Texas, right back to Traxxas!!!

But yeah, if I were to get the non-pullstart version (would mean I would have to buy a starterbox sooner, I will be 0.1 HP short of 4 horsepower!!! (4 - 0.1 = 3.9 for those with math deficiency )
That Jato must be a rocket! How much are they? I may just have to get one for my Nitro Stampede! Lol, it would be a TRUE monster then. Send REVO's (maybe) and T-Maxx's back into thier boxes right back to Texas along with that Jato your RC10GT2 will scare. Its a GT2 right?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodracer1 View Post
That Jato must be a rocket! How much are they? I may just have to get one for my Nitro Stampede! Lol, it would be a TRUE monster then. Send REVO's (maybe) and T-Maxx's back into thier boxes right back to Texas along with that Jato your RC10GT2 will scare. Its a GT2 right?
A stampede that fast? Why? You're never gonna get anywere, it's just gonna flip or spin tires..

You can't scare the Revo back, maybe the Crap-Maxx. But as soon as you flip, the Revo will pass you... Plus the Revo is bigger and with 40series, I'll just run over you.. That's assuming the 3.3 doesn't overheat by then.

Seriously, save the money and buy a Cat-Back when you get a car.
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 01-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Xmod Expert

lol, yep, mine's a GT2!

As for the engine, his is a non-pullstart. He used a starter box or a drill-start mechanism.

I found a PS (pullstart) one on Horizon Hobby for $150 USD:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN0895

Make sure your axles and transmission are up to the task! The guy with the Jato has gone through so many transmission gears that he went for a bronze gear setup. He recently broke an axle a day ago I believe.

Sweed - the T-MAXX is sick! Its be best selling R/C truck in R/C history! Its got so much potential for modification and performance! You can basically chose where you want to go with the T-Maxx and it'll take you there! If I had extra dough, I'd totally buy one!

Last edited by REDisFASTER; 01-04-2008 at 09:24 PM..
Old 01-04-2008, 09:28 PM
is here

Still, I'll have a wheelie bar by then, but when I make 1 wrong move, you can come up to NY and run my Stampede over with your REVO. Or in 3 years when I move to Florida, you can come to Port St. Lucy and run over it . Lol. The T-Maxx is Traxxas's best selling truck so I don't know what you are talking about. We need Noturday in here to tell us about his T-maxx 3.3 so we can have a good explanation about the Maxx.