Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Crazy dude! Just plain crazy but also totally sick!!

What motor you gonna put in? Servo? Or something fast and upgrade the board?

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 PM
washed-up, retired, cool.

Trader Rating: (1)

I'm still not 100% sure, I'm going to kinda put this on the side for a bit, but it'll still be the main thing on my workbench.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)

Those dogbones are going to be tricky...

I think the main problem you're gonna face with the dogbones is that you will have trouble getting dogbones that are the perfect length to allow the full suspension bound and rebound.

As the spring is uncompressed (car is at its highest height) the dogbone is a certain length. However when the springs are compressed, the dogbone length does not to be as long. The small angle difference in the regular truck chassis means that the length doesn't differ much. Notice that the cups have some length to them, so the dogbones can slide in and out to accommodate for the changes in dogbone length.

If you want a visual representation, take a piece of paper, draw a dot on the left side. Draw a dot exactly 2 inches to the right of the first dot. Then, draw a dot 1 inch down from the second dot.

Then draw a 2 inch line from the first dot aiming to the second dot. You will see that 2 inches isn't enough to reach.

Dots should look like this:

. .

Imagine how much it will be off if you extend the first dot to 4 inches (widening your car).

Suggestion: keep the compression length as far as a normal shock would go, maybe a little more. You can still use the same cups, just have to find the right dogbone...

I just got an idea: You can get carbon fiber shafts for pretty cheap by the foot from some websites, or hobby shops. Get some 1.5mm-2.5mm carbon fiber shaft, get some small metal rod (you might be able to use a small section of paper clip) and cut it to make the actual noogie that fits into, and is turned by the cup. if you can drill a TINY hole, or make a gap or cut into the end of the shaft and stick the metal pin in, and glue it, then that would work.

You will have to make precise measurements though...

Good luck with this. I'll be around once in a while and will definitely keep an eye on the project
Old 07-13-2008, 12:07 PM

CF rod... Great idea, I didn't think of it! (Visually) there doesn't seem to be much difference in the distances you were talking about. I guess I could measure the two distances and find the median of them and make the dogbones approximately that length?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:31 PM
late model, xmods, microt

Trader Rating: (5)

Try using a micro t/dt dogbone. they are a lot longer than the off road upgrade ones and are aluminum stock/upgraded whatever. lol. they should be the same size(width, and the ball at the ends) just longer and stronger. Good luck tho.
H-Crawler
Old 07-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)

Fieldfairy's suggestion would be the easiest, however this would require you to widen the truck to fit the dogbone, instead of making the dogbone fit the truck.

That might be a better idea though, seeing that you'll have a reliable dogbone as opposed to one that you might make. I think going with the known dogbone distance will be better.

Hehe, with the carbon fiber... I think once you get all the extra parts you've cut out, you could get some carbon fiber sheeting 1/16th of an inch in thickness, and re-make those parts. Though... if you can make CAD drawings and send it to a factory it might be easier. I dunno how easy it is to cut carbon fiber, and if you can do it with a jig saw or something like that.

How strong are your lower arms and upper braces?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via AIM to xmodificationer Send a message via Yahoo to xmodificationer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldfairy2 View Post
Try using a micro t/dt dogbone. they are a lot longer than the off road upgrade ones and are aluminum stock/upgraded whatever. lol. they should be the same size(width, and the ball at the ends) just longer and stronger. Good luck tho.
not sure if that would work.

1. Might not be long enough
2. The ball ends might be too small.

Its worth a try though!
Old 07-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Bored...

Trader Rating: (7)

you could also try an RC18MT dogbone.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:22 PM

@ Mooshu- The stuff is pretty sturdy. My next year's CAD teacher said we can make anything on the computer and cut it out, so I'm going to try to remake all of the stuff on there in to aluminum. I may try to do dogbones as well if I don't go with trying to make CF ones.