Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 PM

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Custom Skyline Gen1 Chassis Parts

Hey guys new here and building a custom one off project. Using a Gen1 Xmods chassis as a base ( just the mechanical components ) and need some info on brushless speed controllers.

Purpose of the car is for fun, not legit racing or anything, more so to build it , mostly top speed runs and goofing around on an epoxy floor. Looking to break 60 mph ( I have aero ideas in mind to stop it from taking flight )

Here's the project so far :

Custom carbon fiber pan chassis - still a work in progress
GPM alloy everything that moves or could be stressed
mini z wheels
Losi LOSB9593 Brushless Combo 2.4-GHz Receiver/8750-Kv Motor/ESC
Futaba S3154 servo
Using a 1:24 Skyline GTR model car for body

I have received the Losi kit and am wondering if I'm gunna out grow the micro brushless motor. Wondering if I can wire in an additional brushless ESC to install a larger brushless motor ( along the lines of a 20mm bodied ) . My thought is if I can wire the Losi 3 wire motor wiring to the additional ESC signal wiring will that send the proper signal to drive it ? Or should I look into revamping the whole setup if the Micro Losi brushless finds itself to small for the project ? Will post up pictures once I have something to show , still waiting on my carbon fiber panel to start the build.

Regards,

Will
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

60 mph is going to be tough out of these cars. not saying its impossible, as there have been a few that have reached insane speeds, but with the losi setup you will have cogging issues with the gear ratio you would have to run.
there was a project a loooong time ago that put a 1/18 brushless into a gen 1, was insane, but broke easily from what i remember. and there was an evo chassis that had a losi brushless setup in. was cool and all with the insane speed, but the cogging sucked at times. in my opinion 60 mph needs a LOT of area and it has to be perfectly smooth. just my 2 cents.
will be watching where this project goes.
Cheers

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 01-22-2014, 09:58 AM

picture of what I wanna do

Old 01-22-2014, 03:50 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

You can split the battery leads but can not power the ESC input with the motor output wires. Your ESC would fry immediately.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BART View Post
You can split the battery leads but can not power the ESC input with the motor output wires. Your ESC would fry immediately.
Ok , is there any other way to wire the secondary esc with this losi board ? Or a way to prepare the losi board for more power ? stacking fets ?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:24 PM
micro-creationist

Trader Rating: (1)

do you have a 3 of 4 channel tx/rx?

You could essentially run 2 speed controls with a receiver that can power channel 1(usually throttle) and channel 3(aux) in unison.

Unfortunately at this scale two escs are unlikely to send the info to the different motors at the same rate...even if you're off by a millisecond you will trouble the meshing of the driveline.

I did a Mamba 6800KV setup a long time ago on a Gen1 mounting in a team associated rc18t kind of way and once I got it running it pretty much vibrated apart on each speed run attempt.

If it were me today I don't think I'd use the Losi system due to the small sized BL motor and it's use of the 1.5mm prop shaft. There are 130 sized motors from PNRacing, Atomic and Kyosho meant for mini-z brushless systems that can also run on Castle Creations esc's...even though you probably should only run 2 cell li-po on those motors you'd get going pretty fast with the right gearing.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Why not just use a micro receiver? I know the ones for my spektrum are very small. Then you would just have to wire up the steering.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir03 View Post
do you have a 3 of 4 channel tx/rx?

You could essentially run 2 speed controls with a receiver that can power channel 1(usually throttle) and channel 3(aux) in unison.

Unfortunately at this scale two escs are unlikely to send the info to the different motors at the same rate...even if you're off by a millisecond you will trouble the meshing of the driveline.

I did a Mamba 6800KV setup a long time ago on a Gen1 mounting in a team associated rc18t kind of way and once I got it running it pretty much vibrated apart on each speed run attempt.

If it were me today I don't think I'd use the Losi system due to the small sized BL motor and it's use of the 1.5mm prop shaft. There are 130 sized motors from PNRacing, Atomic and Kyosho meant for mini-z brushless systems that can also run on Castle Creations esc's...even though you probably should only run 2 cell li-po on those motors you'd get going pretty fast with the right gearing.
Ok well thanks for the insight, since I have the losi setup I'll try it but I have looked into the Spektrum micro receiver and that looks pretty good, just that its $80 . In regards to yours vibrating apart , did you still use the xmod plastic chassis for yours ? I'm going to build mine with a flat piece of 2.5mm thick carbon fiber, currently I have dropped off the plastic chassis parts ( main and rear section ) to be digitally scanned and then I'll transfer the hole locations to the carbon fiber board when I have it water jet cut for my pan chassis. I plan on using blue loctite on the screws so this thing should be solid for speed runs.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:40 PM
micro-creationist

Trader Rating: (1)

mine was a custom cf creation and blue loctite all round but the mamba motor was a bit much for xmod alloy.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:22 PM

Also something I thought off and then designed it in CAD. I proper steering system for Gen1 Xmods ( haven't figured out how to compensate for suspension travel yet thou ).

Uses radio shack bearing upgrades and standard available hardware from McMaster Carr. The arms are custom and would have to be milled. This is pretty much a pipe dream but thought I'd share. Dimensions are correct per measuring the distance of the steering posts on a GPM +1 steering arm.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 PM

After looking at it again I think I found I way to do it without so much fabricating. I just need to find really small ball joints. I think I found some.