Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which is better? Xmods Or Mini-Z's
XMODS 4 19.05%
MINI-Z's 12 57.14%
Equal 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)
Question Mini Z Or Xmods....help

Hey everyone. I came to this site as a die hard xmods addict. After being here and getting LOTs of expierence with xmods and there level of electronics I have noticed that some people here are strictly xmods and others strictly mini-z's and some who like both. Thats why I made this Poll.

Now after voting Please tell me why you chose that specific one and then give me the pros and cons.

Thanks- XMU
Old 05-24-2010, 04:36 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

What exactly is the point of this?

Mini-Z's better track cars no doubt about it.
XMOD's are a cheap alternative with limited upgrade ability.

It's all about what you want to do, if you want to race competitively you wouldn't use an XMOD.

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

I voted both even though I don't own a Mini-z, I do know that you can do more with an xmod than with a mini-z. But mini-z is better right out of the box, unlike a xmod which you have to dump alot of money into it to make it as good or better than a mini-z. But an xmod is cheaper and more durable, a mini-z is more expensive but is more likely to break and the parts to replace it are expensive.

Thats my opinon on it.

TEAM XI
Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Advance member

The point is whether or not i'll ditch xmods for mini-z's or not.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Advance member

its like bigdude said if your going to race get a mini-z if its for running in the house a xmod would be better as your not going to ruin it just like you would a mini-z so if you want to spend a shedload of money get a z if you want to save money stick with xmods
Old 05-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Light Modder

Trader Rating: (5)

To me it really depends, moneywise here the layout:
HARDCORE modder- Xmods hands down
Racer- The Mini Z
Light Driver- Mini Z

So basically if your doing enything exept hardcore, extreme chassis modding With uber electronics the mini Z will usually come out on top with pricing. IF your int eh hobby because you think its cool, just get xmods. Because if your going Z be ready to go all in
Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (19)

You know it comes down to what you want to do with the car and how much you are willing to spend. I always look at the fact that a mini z costs a chunk of change out the box vs the moderate price for a xmod but then the ability to upgrade a xmod vs a mini z is way more flexible: I can buy 1 xmod chassis and go rear drive, front drive, or awd on that same chassis but the mini z you have to buy 2 different chassis each over 140.00. To me, I would rather buy the xmods because even though they are cheaper they leave a lot more room for error than the mini z. Bottom line, you want track ability out the box buy the mini z, or if you want to mod and have fun with your car and still race for fun, stick with the xmods.
I need alloy rims but not the rs alloy rims. If you have some you are willing to part with let me know. Paying top dollar for them and even better if they are top cad alloy rims as I will pay full price and a half for them.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Elite member

Everyone here has brought up good points for both Xmods and Mini Z's. Xmods were my introduction into the 1/28th hobby back in 2004 and have compiled a collection of Gen 1, Evo, and Street cars that number close to 250 total complete cars, not counting the verious chassis's, body kits & parts, and upgrade kits (my wife says our garage looks like a hobby shop, what a gal).
In 2006, I was introduced to Mini Z's by a local hobby shop. Man, was I hooked. I now have 4 MR-01's, 7 MR-02's, and 3 MA-010 AWD's. Yes, the Mini Z's are better out of the box (craftsmenship & performance) and offer a better selection of bodies. The majority of my Mini Z's (11 to be exact) are Lamborghinis. Having said all that, there are times when money is tight and I cant afford to bling out or modify the Mini Z's like I would like, so my xmods are my alternative "fix" during those times due to their versatility and adaptability for modding. There is alot that can be done with a Xmod on the cheap.

Excuse the rant, but just my hubble opinion.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:01 PM
retired xmodder

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to mycrors4

IMO:
Money is the key here..
if you can afford it, go ahead and get one, i would if i could

But yes, mini-z are more race capable
i wouldnt call xmods non-capable of racing, cause it can be amde to keep up with mini-z's on the track (ie: Saget-X conversion from trixxx customs)

but to me, its a money call

Check out my B/S/T Thread

Want remixes of some songs... PM me.. I has DJ programing software

Inventor of the idea of using Bob Saget to name R/C parts

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 PM
dirtlover/moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike17 View Post
Everyone here has brought up good points for both Xmods and Mini Z's. Xmods were my introduction into the 1/28th hobby back in 2004 and have compiled a collection of Gen 1, Evo, and Street cars that number close to 250 total complete cars, not counting the verious chassis's, body kits & parts, and upgrade kits (my wife says our garage looks like a hobby shop, what a gal).
In 2006, I was introduced to Mini Z's by a local hobby shop. Man, was I hooked. I now have 4 MR-01's, 7 MR-02's, and 3 MA-010 AWD's. Yes, the Mini Z's are better out of the box (craftsmenship & performance) and offer a better selection of bodies. The majority of my Mini Z's (11 to be exact) are Lamborghinis. Having said all that, there are times when money is tight and I cant afford to bling out or modify the Mini Z's like I would like, so my xmods are my alternative "fix" during those times due to their versatility and adaptability for modding. There is alot that can be done with a Xmod on the cheap.

Excuse the rant, but just my hubble opinion.
can you post pics of your cars and hobby shop...not to be a jerk but more to get my wife off my back LOL...wish my garage was heated so i could turn it into my hobby shop...ah pipe dreams......sounds like you got a good woman, maybe your wife could call my wife and yadyada blahblah......

Team X.I.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

I prefer Mini-Z because I like to race.

That being said there is a lot of aftermarket support for them. I mean a ton. Say you want a rear bulkhead for an MA-010. There is one offered from atomic, two offered from PN (in three colors) and 2 offered from 3racing(one carbon) right off the top of my head.

They are so tunable as well, and accept a ton of different bodies and wheels. If you purchase used, they can be had at about half price. They are sold pretty regularly now since the new release of the MR-03. I plan on listing one or two in the marketplace in the near future myself.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydfanYodaman View Post
can you post pics of your cars and hobby shop...not to be a jerk but more to get my wife off my back LOL...wish my garage was heated so i could turn it into my hobby shop...ah pipe dreams......sounds like you got a good woman, maybe your wife could call my wife and yadyada blahblah......
Yeah, by hobby shop she means like a retail Local Hobby Shop. Believe me, between my wifes antiques and the daughters barbies stacked up like cord wood in Rubbermaid containers I'm lucky to be able to store my cars in there. The majority of my xmod collection is also in rubbermaid containers, except for maybe 15 or so of them and my Mini Z collection. I'll see if I can get the whole collection together for a photo shoot. I had been spending the last three years working out of state until recently so I'm trying to find out where my stuff ended up at in the garage (20' x 30' metal building). Yeah, I also wish my garage was heated, but also aircondition would be nice here when it gets humid. Believe me, I've carried my wifes weight on my my back on occasion. Lol.