Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 02-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (-1)

How about them brakes?
Everything good there?
Brake booster is rusted, But personally tells me nothing, How do the brakes work? Im sure they'll take some fluid and bleeding,?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

I don't need brakes. The back bumpers of Hondas will do just fine for slowing me down..

The brakes are fine, they work.. but it's still 4 wheel drums, and it ain't the best. The near future I'll convert it to front disks. As far as the rust on the booster, it's just surface rust.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 02-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

Pssh, non power drums all the way around is the way to go!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Thats about as good as putting my feet out to stop And with the speed of rust, in a few years, that might not be so hard! haha

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 02-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (1)

i just wanna say awesome find
i was gonna buy a 72 one ton c/20 4x4 chevy from my uncle with a 283 3 speed
GM TILL I DIE!!!
'specially the old pre-strict emissions bullcrap!

by the way the truck i was gonna buy from my uncle was also the bright orange color

Last edited by tripnips; 02-25-2008 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

One ton was the C/K 30, and don't think the 283 inline 6 was in them. They were mostly big block and SB350 trucks.

C= 2wd
K= 4wd

10= half ton
20= 3/4 ton
30= 1 ton

CST is the top trim level in 69 & 70. Cheyenne in the 71 & 72

But, get pics of it, I'd love to see the thang.

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 02-26-2008 at 12:18 AM..
Old 03-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Did this last weekend:
The only thing left ugly and unpainted on the engine I got... Was the dirty old air cleaner. So, I decided to paint the sucker up!

Before: (taken last october when the motor was 1st dropped in)

Now:

Awhile back, when my aunt ordered front marker lights for my b-day, they cam in mixed accidently. And, due to the collective procastination of my dad and I, their still here.

Curious to what ya'll thing about the amber vs. clear (stock) on the left side:

ClearAmber

ClearAmber

ClearAmber

Clear (more yellow at night)
Amber (more orange at night)

Old 03-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289

Lookin good !!
When you gonna put in new headlights ??
Old 03-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Gen 1 junkie !

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to dontspamme Send a message via MSN to dontspamme

I would say Amber since the bulb is orange anyways, might aswell have it show it better. The air cleaner looks so much better now! When do you plan on having this thing done?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Went with amber. Original is the clear. But, why not be different? Plus it looks good with the truck. And gives me an excuse to go get a new set of side markers sooner or later too And if I ever feel any different, I can toss the old ones back on.

dontspamme-Aiming to have it test driving soon, realistically, just need to finish the fuel system and check the tank for rust. Hope to have it on the road by the summer.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Picked up some cool old vintage stuff from my great-grandmothers:

Going to clean both up, and where the good one on the right has green, paint in orange with both. My Great-grandma thinks they came with her Coronet when it was new back in the day. Not sure, but they look cool!

Hopefully will have this thing finished in the summer. The Firebird is giving me high-mileage hell at the moment. The semi-plan is to keep it long enough to save enough in the bank, and then when I sell it, have enough to bust-*** on the truck for a few weeks and get it done... That's if another 2 car purchases don't interfere

It's a sad addiction, but I found an early-mid 70s GMC C2500 for possibly under 50 bucks at a used car lot... calling them tomorrow... and also looking into doing the 24 hours of LeMons with some friends and racing in october.

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 05-12-2008 at 12:30 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to fordman239

lookin good, you may wanna get some head lights before you drive, lol. motor looks cleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean, i love the orange. and the air cleaner looks excellent with the new paint.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:26 AM
washed-up, retired, cool.

Trader Rating: (1)

You need to paint the rest of the truck to match the engine now.

I really like it so far, those license plate surrounds will look great on it!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Crazy part is, these frames are way older then I thought... They don't fit normal license plates:

Old 05-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Got a good bit of work done on it today. Custom made a fan-shroud support and filler panel. Ghetto-bent the angle into it... By sandwhiching it between 2x4s, and using the wieght of the truck to hold them down (lifted the rear tire, put the stack under it, lowered the truck onto the stack), then using pry-bars at 1st, and then onto other 2x4s, bent the angle into the aluminum.

Viola:

^Also worked it into a brushed-aluminum finish.

How we're sittin' at the moment. Still some mystery alternator issues, and then to pull the gas tank out and give it a good cleaning to get the varnished gas out, and it aught to be up for a test drive.

Need a job...

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 05-24-2008 at 06:52 PM..
Old 05-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to fordman239

how about head lights? it seems like you saved um 4 last.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Is the truck driving?

Is the truck near finish?

Have I answered the question before?

Are you this ignorant?

Seriously Eric, seriously, read the thread.

I would have to say engine, drivetrain, cooling, suspension, braking and fuel systems are a lot more important then headlights when the truck is not ready for the road. Priorities Eric, priorities.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

****, the radiator cover came out pretty good imo...he aint putting the headlights in because that's where his ram-air duct is going to suck from lmfao...i wanna see some cragars photoshopped on that beast. (btw, it sounds mean as all hell too, cant wait to actually see it move)
Old 05-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_star View Post
****, the radiator cover came out pretty good imo...he aint putting the headlights in because that's where his ram-air duct is going to suck from lmfao...i wanna see some cragars photoshopped on that beast. (btw, it sounds mean as all hell too, cant wait to actually see it move)
Thanks man. Thankfully the fan shroud (out of an unknown year Chevy truck) fits in with some trimming to the area around the fan, and that cover seals up the top and provides the mounting.

Your actually dead on with the ram-air The headlight mounts have a large 4-5 inch hole to clear the head light buckets, and the Radiator Core Support also has the same sized hole for clearence as well. So we're going to run intake tubing from the air cleaner, to just behind those holes. The headlight and bezel will keep rain out when driving.

Despite common thinking, the OE style air cleaners with the intake tubes out the side are better for performance then the typical open element, doesn't pull air for directly over a hot engine. And flow can be fixed with a bit of persuasion.

AGH, you should hear it in person dude. My god mother came in town this weekend (showing off the Porsche picked up... Totally makes up for buying a Nissan SUV a few years back), and her daughter was with her. So we started up the Chevy, and ahhhhhhhahahahaha, I still can't get over how lovely the thing sounds.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

So last week I pulled the gas tank out, and the sending unit, and oh boy...

RUST: My enemy:

Behind my car so that it could be out in the sun for pics...

Talking to a fellow hotrodder today, he mentioned a good steam cleaning has a **** fine chance of cleaning all that out. Looking into it.

But, thank god for Chevy love... I've been offered to pick up a tank from another member of 67-72chevy trucks from his wrecked truck. So, I might be scoring a tank and new sending unit out of this deal for cheap!

Once that's done, start it up, test the newly rebuilt (for the 3rd time) alternator, and may get a test drive in!

And, also...

THIS IS WHY WHEN YOU STORE A CAR, YOU STORE THE CAR WITH A GOD**** FULL TAKE OF GAS AND STABILIZER!

Thank you

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 08-11-2008 at 11:49 PM..