Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Might as well update:

The engine swap for those who missed it: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10839

Santa cashed in, an aluminum radiator, and all the hoses..

Its an after market one, and so it's trial and error with the lower radiator hose, but found a universal bendy hose that works. The biggest ***** about getting it in, is one of the top mounts. Because it's not made EXACTLY to OE specs, but shares all the dimensions, something has to be off. And what is it? The filler neck. So we have to cut a 1/4 inch radius in one mount to clear it... Fun part is the mounts are so strong, it's dulled the hole saw bit, and barely went into the metal.. so my dad is takin' it to work, and using the super tools (Cadillac Technition, been in the biz over 20 years, and Ill have to rant about his cars...)

But it's worth the effort... It sure is a purdy radiator. All aluminum, far better then the old ones. Next up, is going for a electric fan set up, to get rid of the suicidal flex-fan.

Got new tail light lenses for x-mas too, since mine were old, cracked, and barely passed light, or reflected:

Easy to tell which is new

Head light bezels too, will paint them flat black.. their too shiney for my grille, and I like them blacked out more.

And finally remembered to check the axle, I knew it was a dana, but wasn't sure which. Well, ladies and gents, Im rocking the world-destroying Dana 60.

Seemingly, a very rare option for a truck like mine. Its a Semi-Floating axle. And the Full-floating 8-lug 60s were used on the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks. And some of the big block half tons with the TH400 trans had the Dana 60 as a semi-floating 6-lug, like mine. Where it gets odd is because my truck was originally a SB350 and TH350, as it is now.

Gotta love that old built-to-order system these trucks have.

Man, I just need a set of long-tube headers for this beast, and I can get a test drive in.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 01-03-2008, 02:28 PM

Trader Rating: (22)
Send a message via AIM to 123Vette Send a message via Yahoo to 123Vette

wow sweet dana 60 thats never gunna die, i bet you cant wait to drive the beast i sure could if it was mine lol
Old 01-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Vette View Post
wow sweet dana 60 thats never gunna die, i bet you cant wait to drive the beast i sure could if it was mine lol
That dana is burnout proof, and I have 4 tires to burn off, haha.. All of the tires on this truck are bad. Ill just keep them mounted on the rim, and use them for burn out tires.

But yeh, you have no clue how much I want to drive it. It's something else to sit in that truck now. You step on the gas, and carb opens up. You slide the shifter, and the transmission clicks through the gears. Went under and greased up all the suspension and driveshaft joints last weekend. With a set of headers, and a good brake check, it's ready for a test drive.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 PM

and maybe some headlights lol
Old 01-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I don't need headlights, my truck is bright orange. If you hit it, your blind.

Gotta check the wiring on it, since I'm upgrading to a modern bulb-type instead of a sealed beam bulb. But, not needed for test driving, and burn outs.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:44 PM

lol they sure can see you but can you see them anyway none of that stuffs needed for test drives your right. who wants to register there car and pay money for being forced to do somthing anyway?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

The other cars have headlights, so sure, I can see them...

What about registration? It is registered, plates and all. The tags expired last year though. The cops around my neighborhood are relaxed, and my uncle ironically patrols around there too. I can pull the family cop card if the officer wanted to really ticket it for anything...

Old 01-03-2008, 04:59 PM

Trader Rating: (0)

sweet truck id love to get my hands on one of those but none in my area for cheap :/
Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Thanks dude. Keep an eye on craigslist, I've seen some good deals come and go in my area. Thats how I found my engine/transmission for $750 too.

Easy trucks to work on, and there's lots of parts support. You can almost build a whole truck from scratch.. Great looking trucks with lots of value these days. And very modern for their time.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Xmod Expert

To be honest, I'm happy to see this thread back up again! Beautiful truck, man!

PS. Who owns the white Miata?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

A family friend's, my dad was doing a full brake job on the little thing. It dawned the nick-name Man-yata..

But thanks dude. If I ever leave again, here is my truck's thread at 67-72Chevytrucks.com: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223124 Always the most updated

Old 01-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to redrkt Send a message via MSN to redrkt Send a message via Yahoo to redrkt

one other thing too that you have not mentioned is the fact that you don't have to get it smogged anymore EVER, since it is past the 25 year limit now.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

glad to finally see texan back! and an update on orange crush!! nice Xmas presents you got there =) the truck is looking awesome and wtf! that thing has a dana60, that's badass. did you ever get to finish the interior work you were doing?
Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Elite member

Send a message via MSN to stang_racer

hey can u get a frame out of a catalogue yet for those truck cuz i know with the 69 camaro u can u could build a whole car from scratch, lol but u can only get the convertible
Old 01-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrkt View Post
one other thing too that you have not mentioned is the fact that you don't have to get it smogged anymore EVER, since it is past the 25 year limit now.
I mention it alot when I talk about it in person. I can just run open headers even, nothing the police can do about it. Love Texas's rules about old cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_star View Post
glad to finally see texan back! and an update on orange crush!! nice Xmas presents you got there =) the truck is looking awesome and wtf! that thing has a dana60, that's badass. did you ever get to finish the interior work you were doing?
Thanks dude, lol, fun to be back.. Dana 60, uber rare for a truck optioned like this. But it came well equiped, and these suckers were built-to-order back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_racer View Post
hey can u get a frame out of a catalogue yet for those truck cuz i know with the 69 camaro u can u could build a whole car from scratch, lol but u can only get the convertible
You can get rebuilt frames from some companies, that prep for air bags and such. But basically, with starting with just a frame and cab, you can build a truck. Roughly 70-80% of the parts for it are available... And some parts are shared from the later trucks. You can swap the whole front suspension from the later 70s trucks onto this.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Elite member

ya thats cool, good to see that u did alot of sudying on this thing, lol better u do it than me man that thing would be more mickey mouse than disny land its self lol, hell just take one glance at my sled that i finally got running WOOT!!! but now its too hot to run it it over heats and dies lol
Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
ya thats cool, good to see that u did alot of sudying on this thing, lol better u do it than me man that thing would be more mickey mouse than disny land its self lol, hell just take one glance at my sled that i finally got running WOOT!!! but now its too hot to run it it over heats and dies lol
lol, wut?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Elite member

i meant better him restore it or whatever hes doing to it than for me to do it do u not know of the term mickey mouseing??
Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
i meant better him restore it or whatever hes doing to it than for me to do it do u not know of the term mickey mouseing??
Well, I understood this part atleast. Thanks dude.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Elite member

lol sorry i was trying to say my sled is the king of mickey mouse lol