Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
is here

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid
Default Project Bumblebee Makeover

Well I've gotten bored lately with all of this snow and don't have money to build another Losi Micro Scaler(still doing the updates as I try to improve the design each time) so here's my newest project. Decided to revive this body from the dead, a few years ago when I got it brand new, after a few months I thought it would be cool to put a temporary tattoo on it (I was probably 12 I think) and it basically became a beater from then on. So the other day I got some ideas in my head, wanted to do a full convertible but as I removed the roof, I liked the look of what some of the 'Vette's have. So original plan was just a removed roof and windows but a trip to the LHS, walked out with Styrene and modeling putty and well..you'll see. I also made a little spoiler out of styrene, did a quick mock up(not in pics) and its a bit too tall, will have to cut it down. For now, enjoy my current progress
Started like this

To this, before sanding with the sanding wheel

After some minor sanding

And onto today, I think you'll see what the idea is

Because T-Tops are much more original than a convertible! Sure, I could have just cut it into a T-Top but originally I thought I was doing a convertible. I may have to cut down the sides of the T-Tops but did you expect this? I sure didn't I covered the rear with some styrene so its not visible, and looks better. Later or Tomorrow, the board will be covered also, with styrene, It is V-Groove styrene(closest thing they had to flat) and .040 but its nice because its very easy to break it apart after scoring, but is very durable. The chassis is of my G35 but the wheels will be painted either glossy white or metallic black. The paint job is going to be a metallic black and glossy white two tone. Sanding will be done tomorrow, this will mainly be a shelf queen as most of my XMODs sit in boxes, they're out done by the hobby grades but hopefully this one turns out good, for a side project
Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (5)

looks like its going to turn out nicely.

alternitive to water slide decals, temp tattoo ftw!

The Monster Mustang - Link

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air - Link

Old 03-05-2010, 06:46 PM
is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckerz View Post
looks like its going to turn out nicely.

alternitive to water slide decals, temp tattoo ftw!
More like FTL I've got extra decals left over from the scaler build so it will be a Camaro LS ...wait, scratch that, they're M.I.A. Oh well. Some sanding to come later(didn't start yet, have been making stuff out of styrene for the scaler), I do like the looks of the spoiler but its just a tad bit too big, may completely remove it and just do a "drag style" spoiler, I'm wanting something more than the little lip Now for the pics of the spoiler mock ups. Like I said it is too tall, will cut it down OR just do the "drag spoiler" idea

Just mock ups for now, still like the idea of a drag spoiler though
Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
XMS ADMINISTRATOR

Trader Rating: (17)

Interesting concept so far. I think you should work with the stock spoiler and use it to make a drag-type spoiler. If not, then I would sand down the stock spoiler and trim the height of the aftermarket spoiler if you go with it.
My XMODS
Proud member of Team NCXR

WANTED: Gen. 1 cf Chassis Upgrade (just parts from the upgrade will do fine)
Old 03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFTKO View Post
Interesting concept so far. I think you should work with the stock spoiler and use it to make a drag-type spoiler. If not, then I would sand down the stock spoiler and trim the height of the aftermarket spoiler if you go with it.
Well I was thinking of using some styrene to make the drag spoiler, if not I'll do what you're last line said. And thanks for the input
Old 03-06-2010, 01:12 AM
XMS ADMINISTRATOR

Trader Rating: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampedekid View Post
Well I was thinking of using some styrene to make the drag spoiler, if not I'll do what you're last line said. And thanks for the input
Your welcome! I don't recall a t-top 2010 Camaro on here, so I am anxious to see the outcome! Good luck!
My XMODS
Proud member of Team NCXR

WANTED: Gen. 1 cf Chassis Upgrade (just parts from the upgrade will do fine)
Old 03-06-2010, 09:25 AM
is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFTKO View Post
Your welcome! I don't recall a t-top 2010 Camaro on here, so I am anxious to see the outcome! Good luck!
Why thank you I myself am looking forward to the outcome too as its my first real XMOD project. Hopefully will get some sanding done later and get working on that spoiler. Probably not going to do any body work to it(body kit etc) as I don't want it to be too different..
Old 03-06-2010, 04:05 PM
xMod Freak

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to xModer69

Really nice car, How did you cut the roof off the car and what did you use to put the new one on? putty?
Old 03-07-2010, 12:36 PM
is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by xModer69 View Post
Really nice car, How did you cut the roof off the car and what did you use to put the new one on? putty?
Cut the roof off with a cutting wheel from my dremel(the diamond coated one) The roof was done with .040 styrene and puttied on with Testors modeling putty that I picked up from my LHS while grabbing parts for my Slash and MERV
Old 03-15-2010, 09:30 PM
is here

Well it's been a while since the last update, just haven't had any time to work on it really due to many school projects. Spring break is next week so hopefully, will finish this project within the next week. The updates since the last time include:
Rear windows puttied(I didn't like how they stuck out so much)
sanded down
Well what happened when I sanded the putty on the roof and back part of the cover thing is that it would break off, so I eventually just put a dab of CA on the cover part, still need to finish sanding, I CA'd from the back and it bonded instantly to the body so that was good. So far I'm yet to have trouble with the roof though(cross your fingers!) Hopefully if I have time I can do a little test paint scheme in photoshop, to see what I like. May pick up some paint from the LHS or just use the Black Metallic and whatever kind of white I used, for when I built the Micro Scaler..oh and the clearcoat!
EDIT:Ooops forgot the pics!

I've gotta do a thin layer of putty on this window to cover up those fingernail marks or whatever they are. Also that spoiler I made, that idea is ditched it looked out of place, on the Camaro even chopped
EDIT again:
For some reason my first picture always shows as a link now...wtf? Its an IMG code, and it only does it on this forum to me..

Last edited by Stampedekid; 03-15-2010 at 09:33 PM..
Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 PM
is here

OK: Quick update. Laid down a layer of black metallic(same kind I used on the scaler) last night, then put down another layer when I got home from school(had missed a few spots last night). Finished all of the sanding yesterday etc.. masking(also, the same kind I used on the scaler.) Haven't gotten much of a chance to work on this, the scaler or any of my RC's lately due to a crap load of school work, essays etc.. but spring break is next week, that'll all change(ours goes by the holidays and Passover[Jewish Holiday] especially) So while its going to suck to have Passover, this and the Scaler will be seeing much work done to them(scaler is getting its leafs installed ) From what I saw last night and today, after school I think I did a pretty good job on the minor body work. Couldn't pop out the rear tail lights(the ones where the LED goes to) so masked them off, but I have a feeling it dripped. Was able to get out the other side. And the headlights wouldn't come out either and couldn't get the tape in there, so just painted over them. It's going to sit on the shelf anyway so it's not like it really matters anymore(what, you think I still drive the XMODS?) So yeah pictures soon to come, probably going to bring it in over night to cure then spray the other color on tomorrow. The scheme is different than what I originally wanted, for what it will be, that is a secret Until next time(and pictures)
-Ian
Turns out I was ahead of myself, spring break wasn't this week but next week
Old 03-27-2010, 01:23 PM
is here

Another quick update, here was it last night. Masked off the stripes this morning and sprayed on a light coat of white. Not bad, had some drips so sanded them off to the best of my ability, with 320grit sandpaper. The bodywork turned out better than I expected, not the best, never will be but was a fun project. If it's dry I'm going to spray another coat of white then let it cure into tomorrow, clearcoat and hopefully remove all the masking, hoping nothing bled

Old 03-28-2010, 04:35 PM
is here

EDIT:Why is it that my first picture always comes up as a direct link? I post it as an IMG code link, mods help any ideas?
Whether or not you guys post, I'll keep updating. Got the white paint laid down, these pics are from last night. Barely bled..well except for the back end, going to re-do the back and hopefully not have any bleeding this time. My idea of the metallic black first then bright white worked, gave me a metallic white like I had wanted. Enjoy the pics, re-doing the stripes will come tomorrow, and clearcoat will follow(Spring break woot woot)
Teaser shot

Some of the tape was removed on the rear windshield, which is why it appears as so and all of it was removed off of the front. Had some minor bleeding on the front, but not bad at all. Might go dig up the Bumblebee rims and go paint them, if I can find them...

Major bleeding. Guess I need to do a better job next time

Enjoy!
Ian
Stay tuned for more updates!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:08 AM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

not to be harsh, but ew.
resand that sucker and try again. seal the tape better next time. even my first paintjob didn't bleed like that bled, yes, but not like someone splattered paint onto it.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 AM
is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
not to be harsh, but ew.
resand that sucker and try again. seal the tape better next time. even my first paintjob didn't bleed like that bled, yes, but not like someone splattered paint onto it.
It was hard to get my tape to seal down in certain spots, it wouldn't go into the creases >.< and I'm even using top of the line model/RC painter's tape it was just my flaw in masking. My first PJ was on the Scaler, which turned out decent, using the same tape. It was just me failing at masking.. I'm a lexan person, I find lexan easy to paint..I guess this is why I don't really try to paint XMODs
Old 03-29-2010, 12:26 PM
bringin' da freakness

Send a message via Yahoo to kookieboi

you need to sand and prep the body better and make sure its completely clean. use painter's masking tape (blue or green from an auto store) it works well. use lite coats and that keeps it from bleeding. i use the back end of (non cutting side of the blade) my x-acto knife to lightly push the tape into the creases. hope this helps and good luck
Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Stage 2 member

the stripes are pretty darn shape but yea A ++++ work it looks decent
Old 03-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

I like the concept, but the paint killed it. I would resand and start again. Don't worry though, most of us have done the same thing :P

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM
is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookieboi View Post
you need to sand and prep the body better and make sure its completely clean. use painter's masking tape (blue or green from an auto store) it works well. use lite coats and that keeps it from bleeding. i use the back end of (non cutting side of the blade) my x-acto knife to lightly push the tape into the creases. hope this helps and good luck
Thanks for the Tip. I used modeler's painter's tape because its better than anything I've tried but didn't push it into the creases, thanks for the tips
Quote:
Originally Posted by _rx7™ View Post
the stripes are pretty darn shape but yea A ++++ work it looks decent
Thanks a lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
I like the concept, but the paint killed it. I would resand and start again. Don't worry though, most of us have done the same thing :P
Thanks Tex. I'll most likely re-do the entire paint, first I gotta pick up some more paint first!