Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Project Not Red 370z

Since I now have an extra body and chassis to mess with, it's time for a project or two.

Work on disassembly of the red 370 body last night.

Here she sits sanded and ready to start the paint process.

Going to go with a flat-ish black paint scheme. Gloss black trim. Wheels will be either white or school bus yellow.

Last edited by maxinflixion; 02-26-2010 at 09:09 AM..
Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 AM
lets rocknrolla

It's looking very good; the sanding seems to be very smooth.

I Absolutely dig the flat black scheme concept on it man; elegant; the wheels would look sick either way (white/ yellow), but I'd go for the school bus yellow.

Keep it up man!! post any upgrades please.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Advance member

I am in the midst of testing the wheel colors. I boneheadedly didn't prime the yellow wheels, so they may not come out as good. May have to strip the paint off and start over.

I used vinyl dye on the white ones, so they may come out better.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 PM
lets rocknrolla

It's happened to me before too ha! I'm sure they'll come out good but will peel eventually, almost right away.

Vinyl dying is a much better method; actually; the plastic the wheels are made of is clear and it has a top coat of whatever color right.. sand that color off or remove it with nail polish (be careful and do not apply too much at once; instead; apply several thin *rubbing coats to get that top coat off and then get to the clear plastic. By using nail polish you also get that "wet" look or finish on your wheels, not the faded out finish from sanding.

Clear plastic can be dyed any color, either using vynil or vegetable dyes (vinyl is way better). I do this A LOT to tint my helmet visors and the windshield of my bike.

What you do is heat up some water with whatever dye of your liking mixed with it; when the water is few degrees below boiling point drop the clear plastic parts into the water *make sure they're suspended with something; wrap a thin wire coil around or through the wheel and let it sit suspended in water while the water is boiling; this will start dying your wheels/clear plastic parts.

You can control how "dark/clear" your parts come out by timing how long they stay submerged in water.

*the more time they remain in the boiling dye, the more darker/full color (saturation) you'll get.

On my visors I use this method to go from light tints to almost smoked out effects. It also works great on headlights, taillights, anythings that's clear plastic actually.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Advance member

Thanks for the input/ideas. Due to the small details on these wheels, I think I'll probably end up picking up some more aluminum wheels.

Painting the fine details on these stock plastic ones (brake discs), will get ugly I am sure . My fine motor skills are non-existent when it comes to that stuff.

These will do for now though.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Advance member

Working from home today allows me to make some progress.

Two coats of Krylon Fusion Flat Black. I just did a small amount of wetsanding on the hood of the car (right after this pic) because there is a small amount of shininess (from uneven sanding before paint) visible.

Another coat after it dries (and I get some actual work done).

Here's an example of the wheels as they stand now.

And the wheels after a once over w/ a super fine sharpie. (and I stress a ONCE OVER )

Last edited by maxinflixion; 02-26-2010 at 01:55 PM..
Old 02-26-2010, 01:59 PM
lets rocknrolla

duude..who are you?..ha! seriously man it looks mighty fine SEXY period.

The flat is very even and smooth after that light sanding; that next coat should do it, and I see what you mean by the "shininess", you can tell by how it glares out compared to the wheel hub.

Oh ok I see what you mean by "ugly" they yellow seems a bit too THICK but the white one came out pretty good tho; yet aluminum wheels definitely would look killer.

Are you planning on having the reflectors a different color than how they were silver? I like how they look flat black but that's me and I don't really know what you're aiming for with this project.

By the way; yea man; what's the plan for this lady? I mean like "the guts"you know ha; color patterns; the whole nine.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Advance member

I am keeping heads and tails stock. All the little bits like door handles and logos will get a touch of gloss black.

As far as internals, I am unsure. I am WAY new to RC in general, but have always modded pretty much anything I touch .

I've got a lot of GPM parts on the way right now.

My plan is to keep one car stock and another modded. Not sure which body gets which chassis though. I've got this one and a stock Audi R8 that will stay stock.

Yeah, I tend to blow through projects at a breakneck pace. I do this on my work from home days (I work in finance), and I sit in front of a PC all day long. It's easy to run out to the garage for another coat of paint or a quick sanding.

The majority of the GPM parts I picked up are purple. A couple are silver since purple was out of stock.

I've got a Stage 2 kit as well.

I may lower her slightly as well (once I figure out how )

Last edited by maxinflixion; 02-26-2010 at 03:33 PM..
Old 02-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Advance member

After another coat, added some of the details. Need to go pick up some paint for the logos, door handles, etc... Also need some glue to help hold the glass in place properly.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

ohh hella clean man u shoulda painted the inside of the head lights and tail lights but clean work. great job.

FOR SALE!
SCION TC WITH B/K.
HUMMER BODY AND BK.
ACURA NSX BODY WITH FRONT CLIP.
G35 WITH B/K.
SOME SUSPENTION STUFF.
SWEET CUSTOM TRAILER.
PM ME.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

Looking good.
Just take some silver paint & paint the door handles, gas cap, the headlight housings & your good too go.

TEAM XI
Old 02-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxn3 View Post
ohh hella clean man u shoulda painted the inside of the head lights and tail lights but clean work. great job.
Not too late to paint the insides. How do you think they should be painted? I am not upset about the taillights looking smoked, but not so sure about the headlights. I thought they'd come off smoked, but kind of look like plastic bits snapped on...
Old 02-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Advance member

tail lights look fine front lights, silver with little orange accents where the turn signals go. it should be just fine.

FOR SALE!
SCION TC WITH B/K.
HUMMER BODY AND BK.
G35 WITH B/K.
SOME SUSPENTION STUFF.
SWEET CUSTOM TRAILER.
PM ME.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Advance member

So which wheels do you prefer?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Advance member

white, it looks like you got a little happy on the yellow like its sprayed thick.

FOR SALE!
SCION TC WITH B/K.
HUMMER BODY AND BK.
G35 WITH B/K.
SOME SUSPENTION STUFF.
SWEET CUSTOM TRAILER.
PM ME.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxn3 View Post
white, it looks like you got a little happy on the yellow like its sprayed thick.
Yeah, I didn't prime the yellow. It took a few coats for coverage. White was dyed and came out MUCH better.

I actually have put all four white wheels on. Going to strip the yellow ones and start fresh.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Advance member

yeah it make your work look wayy better.
it would be sweet if you could lower the body though.

FOR SALE!
SCION TC WITH B/K.
HUMMER BODY AND BK.
G35 WITH B/K.
SOME SUSPENTION STUFF.
SWEET CUSTOM TRAILER.
PM ME.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:57 PM
lets rocknrolla

That is just awesome man; eye candy. VERY VERY VERY SEXY.

I agree, adding some silver and t/signals would make a lotta difference to the frot end. I still like all being blacked out but with the lenses on it looks kinda "plastiky".

It's pretty rad to get to work from home all day specially; you get to do more of your own things while still on the clock (you're getting paid ha! that's the sweet thing).

Right oon; so you're gonna GPM the lady man; purple is a good choice, I have a set of purple wheelshafts for GEN-1 and a purple alloy kit for the EVO. that anodized purple looks sexy but I'm a sucker for the plasma blue.

What kind of aluminum wheels are you getting? you got a picture of 'em? I'd like to have an idea of how that body is gonna sit on them man cause seriously you did an amazing job on it.

White wheels definitely look better than the yellow ones but the yellow/black concept is a more contrasting scheme; it would stand out way more.

If you can make 'em look like the white ones, no doubt you should pop those on while your GPM shipment lands.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Advance member

Just found out a couple of my GPM pieces are out of stock in Purple, so I am going to have to go w/ a Purple/Silver setup.

As far as wheels go, I am going to keep these for now. I have Xmods stock aluminum five spokes on my other car, but they are chrome-y.

I'll take a shot at stripping the yellow off and starting over on that set. The issue I had was that I used Enamel paint which built up quick on some areas and since I hadn't primed, it took more coats in other areas.

I've gone overboard $$ this week. Gotta chill for a few
Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Advance member

I like the audi rims better. Unless, like you said, are going to start fresh with'em.