Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (3)
Default Acura NSX....Hovercraft?!

Okay, so I got bored and decided to start a new project. And after reading XXX's 'modders convention' thread, I couldn't do something normal! So I did a little research, and the Acura Hovercraft was born. The central propeller is ran off of a 8 tooth gen 1 motor upgrade. It has been tested, and provides more than enough lift to get the car off the ground. I have it ran straight off the battery, since there is no need for throttle on the lift motor.

I still have a lot of work before she is done, but I felt like it was to the point where I could upload some photos. The cowling and rudder for the rear fan will be redone in balsa wood to reduce weight. I also need to install the steering servo and attach it to the rudder, as well as wire in the power supply ( 7.2v 2c). The 'Skirt' is not pictured, as I only used a cheap garbage bag for the test run, and will be replacing it with nylon fabric this weekend. I will also be doing a lot of body work, especially removing the wheel wells as they don't look right. All in all though, its been a fun project, and I hope you enjoy the photos. Once I have it running again I will remember to shoot some video

Old 01-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (5)

looks like a good idea but i dont think it will work.

the bottom fan needs to spin much faster all the time plus each fan would need to run off individual power supplies, it looks nose heavvy too, you need to counter balance it.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (3)

actually its been tested with everything but the steering servo in. As for balance, that will take some time to work out, but the battery does a good job of countering the weight of the motor mounted in back. It will take a lot of fine tuning after its fully assembled of course.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

your going to need some type of hole or something on the top for an air intake

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 01-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Bored...

Trader Rating: (7)

As everything does, it will take some time to work out, but in the end I think this will be awesome! It already looks cool! Are you going to make the cusion, or skirt as its technically called, to help prop it up?
Old 01-23-2010, 02:55 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

he said he's making it out of nylon fabric.
interesting concept. might i suggest thin plastic as a cowl for your thrust fan?
and instead of sealin up the wheel wells, maybe you could link the ruder to some thin lexan fins that protrude from the wheel weels to enable more controlled turning and less side-side drift?
maybe an independent fan battery could be useful. possibly have 2 2s1p lipo packs and run the fan off one and the board off the other? that might enable longer runtime and more power for both fans. another possibility could be customizing an xmod gear to fit a plastic propeller of some sort to lower weight even more. the concept is very interesting i think.

another think i might add is that a 360 degree fan shroud may not be neccesary on the rear. i believe a dual rudder design will be sufficient (keeping weight down

Last edited by XMDrifter; 01-23-2010 at 03:00 PM..