Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2009, 05:52 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

actually it will work for alloy chassis as well. you just need to superglue plastic tube to the green bar that goeas all the way across in front of the motor. that way, the clips will still just clip right in as with a stock chassis
lexan windows does sound like an idea, but it would take some work for it to not to look like a hack job
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

well, my club decided not to run xmods with the ma-010 anymore.
the xmods were busting up everyone's nice Z auto-scale bodies so, i can sympathize with them. the xmods will have their own class now so, i'll still get to run it but, no more xmod/miniZ wars.
i'm not sure i want to hack up the body too much since i plan on getting the vette body and this one might go back on my son's car someday.
i might try to get it a little lighter but, 38 grams isn't too bad when compared to some xmod bodies.
i have the 70t motor in now and although it has a lower rpm than the st2, it has plenty of torque.so i'm, gearing it higher and i'm still noticing more speed than the st2. plus, the 70t is staying much cooler than the st2 did after extended running so, i should have an edge on cars running the RS motors towards the end of the heat.
i should be racing this weekend so i'll find out how she works out then.

Last edited by acerpower; 01-22-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Old 01-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

How was the evo busting up there bodies.I thought the zmod was winning races.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerpower View Post
well, my club decided not to run xmods with the ma-010 anymore.
the xmods were busting up everyone's nice Z auto-scale bodies so, i can sympathize with them. the xmods will have their own class now so, i'll still get to run it but, no more xmod/miniZ wars.
i'm not sure i want to hack up the body too much since i plan on getting the vette body and this one might go back on my son's car someday.
i might try to get it a little lighter but, 38 grams isn't too bad when compared to some xmod bodies.
i have the 70t motor in now and although it has a lower rpm than the st2, it has plenty of torque.so i'm, gearing it higher and i'm still noticing more speed than the st2. plus, the 70t is staying much cooler than the st2 did after extended running so, i should have an edge on cars running the RS motors towards the end of the heat.
i should be racing this weekend so i'll find out how she works out then.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Elite member

the xmod is heavier than the Z and the xmod bodies are more durable.
the zmod did win some races but, so did the miniZ. no matter how clean we try to race accidents happen, and the miniZ seems to get the worse of most collisions. if you watch the video i posted a link to in my 1st post you can see
at 9:30 my xmod hits a Z in the middle of the straight and my camaro drives off
and the z had no signs of life.
the Z is a far superior car to the xmod but in crashes, the xmod comes out on top most of the time.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Elite member

Any other scale rc you can use different companies.Only mini z raceing will not let no other company race.The MA-010 chassis is about 135 gram the xmod evo is 120 gram stock.But i still think the evo with AWD is still under 135 gram.I hope iwavers AWD is good so it could take kyosho off there high horse.Because the MA-010 has it's problems.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco72 View Post
Any other scale rc you can use different companies.Only mini z raceing will not let no other company race.The MA-010 chassis is about 135 gram the xmod evo is 120 gram stock.But i still think the evo with AWD is still under 135 gram.I hope iwavers AWD is good so it could take kyosho off there high horse.Because the MA-010 has it's problems.
if it was up to me, "i say run what you brung" i think if the car is about the same size and close in scale(1/27-1/28) they should be able to run together,
no matter what brand it is. i also think you should be able to run 2wd with awd in the same class. if the ma-010 is so great why not run it with the mr-02.
the ma-010 definitely has it's problems and is also more of a p.i.t.a. to tune than the mr-02, that's the main reason why i don't have one yet, besides cost.
i also hope the iwaver awd is good, if they ever release it. hopefully it will be better than the ma-010...............................i'm positive it will be much cheaper.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Elite member

i heard the iwaver AWD was at a rc car show in another country.I talk to a guy that works at iwaver on minizracer.He says why it's taking so long is that they got rid of the FM and going to 2.4.I seen a pic on minizracer and it looks like it has the same front and rear.But the motor and battery set up is like the GEN 1 with a real servo .so no motor over heating.This is what the xmod evo should have been.

Here is the pic of the car not so great pic.I also found a pic of the radio.It's nice 3 channal 10 memory all the goodies that a good radio has.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04mzu9.jpg (62.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg iwaver.jpg (58.4 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by DRFTKO; 01-23-2009 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: double post
Old 01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Elite member

i'm glad they are going 2.4ghz although, the FM system is better than AM still nothing beats a 2.4ghz.
i heard it was out in hong kong as well,i probably heard from the same place(minizracer)
the 2wd iwaver is nice, one of the guys in my club has a few he runs.
it's good that they use a real servo as well because the stock one is a little slow.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Elite member

Hopefully by spring it will be in the states.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

i thought they were already in the states... in fact didn't rc car action magazine do a review on them last year?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccracing View Post
i thought they were already in the states... in fact didn't rc car action magazine do a review on them last year?
not sure on the RCCA article, i haven't bought the mag in about 18 years but,
if the awd iwaver were in the states, i would surely buy one.
i think if they were out, we would see a few of them on the forums.
all i've seen so far are the photos you posted earlier.
i think when they finally reach the states we'll see it first on the minizracer boards.
i can't wait for it to come out, i'm sure it will be a better awd platform than the xmod.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Elite member

only the 02M and the truck are in the states.I don't even see the 02M anymore.Fangle from iwaver told us on minizracer That there changing everything to 2.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccracing View Post
Old 01-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Elite member

well, i ended up racing my xmod saturday, and they still let me run against the miniZ ma-010, plus we ran a separate class for xmods.
i ended up coming in 3rd in the ma-010 awd final. i could have done better but i had some bad luck with some unavoidable accidents, and a bit of sloppy driving on my part, i can not blame the car because it was quite fast.
i came in 2nd in the zmod open final and finished on the lead lap so i'm heading in the right direction.
i tried a few tire combo's that night but i settled on pn 10deg narrow fronts and pn 8deg radials wides in the rear. the front tires were a little stickier than i would have liked but, the car was very responsive.
the pn 70t motor performed nice as expected.i ran a 10t pinion and had plenty of acceleration and speed and the motor stayed cooler in a 10minute heat than the st2.
a little more acceleration wouldn't hurt so i put the body back on a diet and
removed plastic from the rear and glued it in place.i also drilled a few holes in the rear mount to get her a little lighter.

this body is now 1 gram lighter than my miniZ nsx gt body.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:34 PM
drifter and engineer

very nice. 36g
that's some weight worth saving.
try sanding the inside with 220 to make it "look pretty" and it'll also save you about a gram or two.
and the 70t runs cooler because it has a better motor can than an s2 (ball bearings i presume?)
Old 01-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Elite member

no ball bearings in the pn70t but it does have a vented can and open endbell
which keeps it cooler. plus the brushes are better and bigger com so, it's got allot of torque and can be geared accordingly.
i'll clean up the inside of the body like you said and i have to make a bigger hole in the roof for the transponder so, that should make it a little lighter too.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 AM
drifter and engineer

haha, maybe cut a bit more for more transponder "room" and as a bonus lose a few 1:28th scale pounds
Old 01-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
haha, maybe cut a bit more for more transponder "room" and as a bonus lose a few 1:28th scale pounds
that just took it down to 36.00, i wonder what .3 grams is in 1/28 scale weight?
lol
Old 01-31-2009, 12:10 PM
drifter and engineer

what's the total weight of an xmod?
150g?
then 2500/150= 16.7
so each gram (assuming that the xmod represents a 2500lb tuned car)
is 16.7 scale pounds.
but if these are sporty representative, then we have 3000/150= 20
so each gram would be like 20 lbs
but the cars represent normal cars that weight about 4000.
so 1 gram = 26.7 scale lbs
so .3 grams is 5.1-8.1 lbs saved
but also at this scale, we have to take power-weight in consideration
how many g/cm of torque does the motor have?
he'd have a scale 2-4lb/hp power-weight ratio. really really good. and tires are more grippy at this scale as well
Old 02-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Elite member

well it seems you can't scale down weight like that.lol
i had some surgery last monday and i'll be in a cast for up to 8 weeks so, i won't be racing for a while. since i don't have much to do right now i'm working on the xmod.
i was curious on what my top speed is since i know it has enough acceleration to keep up with the pack. i put it on the speed checker with some fresh charged intellect 750s and 10-23 gearing and got this............

29kph or about 18.02mph. not bad for a 70 turn stock motor and 4 ni-mh cells
she's fast enough, now i'm trying to make it a little lighter.
i'm not into drilling allot of holes and making things look like swiss cheese but,
i'm going to try and shave a few grams off the chassis and still keep it's rigidity and stock appearance.
i have a spare chassis to experiment with so, i'm going to weigh everything piece by piece and figure something out.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Elite member

Im glade that your racing with the MA-010's.How do you like the soft springs in the rear.