Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:42 PM
SPR

its jsut skid plates, they are going to get beat to crap and damaged, its only there to keep the chassis from getting trashed.

Do you have a better idea?

Whoops i forgot to keep this tally. Heres the cost as of the parts installed today. Keep in mind this doesnt include the cost of materials such as hot glue, super glue, masking tape, electrical tape, and other materials i have been using that i just concidered average house hold items. And these totals do not include the parts i have in the mail that havnt arrived yet.

SPR Rally Team Valued At: $242
SPR Rally Team My Cost: $57

Last edited by SPR; 11-19-2008 at 11:56 PM..
Old 11-20-2008, 03:59 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
its jsut skid plates, they are going to get beat to crap and damaged, its only there to keep the chassis from getting trashed.

Do you have a better idea?

Whoops i forgot to keep this tally. Heres the cost as of the parts installed today. Keep in mind this doesnt include the cost of materials such as hot glue, super glue, masking tape, electrical tape, and other materials i have been using that i just concidered average house hold items. And these totals do not include the parts i have in the mail that havnt arrived yet.

as a matter of fact, i do, my brother in law works at a metal shop, and he made me an all alluminum skid plate, from bumper to bumper, with only the wheels sticking out, had to be screwed onto the bumper, anyways, i basically did what u did by making the blueprints, and he cut out aluminum sheet metal and made a skid plate, very very strong, light, and looks bad ***, my chasie is still in perfect condition. thought i would share with ya, maybe give u some ideas
Old 11-20-2008, 04:45 AM
SPR

Id really like to see pictures, because i just gotta call BS on that. This is why.

First off aluminum is not very very strong. aluminum is very very weak.

second xmods dont sit that high off the ground, So to get it thin enough to not be losing ground clearance or scraping, and to get it to fit around all the curves and bends in the chassis it would have to be so thin that its just going to get bent and dinted to crap and actually not work at all because its just going to dent into your chassis and cause damage to it. metal doesnt have a memorie so when it bends it stays. So There goes your strong theory. And as for function, well its heavier than plastic, causes damage to your chassis, and im sorry but i think a dented and bent up piece of aluminum under there will look like crap.

Lexan at this thin of stages is just as strong if not stronger than aluminum. Plus it has a memorie, so it will bend and will absorb the impact and bend back. It will hide the scrapes and blemishes better than aluminum and stay nicer looking longer. Plus its soo thin you dont lose any ground clearance worth speaking of. and its lighter weigh for sure.

So correct me if im wrong please...

Anyways guys, this is going to be the last update for probably a week and a half or so. I did some wiring for the rest of the custom lighting on the Hummer, worked on the tow hitch, and then was bored so i Proped everything up just to see it. Thought id share a few pictures to try and tie ya over for the long wait.

and yes the truck is propped up on tires and a evo CAR chassis haha.

Custom Fog lights, Side Marker Lights, and Day time Running Lights.

Showin the white under glow on the truck and trailer.

No the hummer body work is not finished!

So after these next pictures i better not hear any complaints about it!! The back end has NOT been molded at all! its strickly been glued on from the back side and paint over on the outside. The Paint is a RUFF BASE COAT. and NOT the final Color! it doesnt even have clear coat on it yet! So again, even though its all put together, its not finished, please no complaints!

Here is the new hitch on the trailer with new Stinger and Ball on the truck. Obviously its not finished because when the truck is lifted its going to need to be a major drop hitch. This is just to show ya what they look like.

Anyways So thats that for atleast a week, probably closer to two weeks. Ill be shipping the car off hopefully tomorrow to get it fixed. And then we will go from there.

Cost wise, still sittin at:

Old 11-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Stage 1 member

awesome job. I enjoyed reading the thread. I thought about doing the same to my "soon to have" Hummer last night.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:21 AM
SPR

its pretty simple to do. just need a good clean cut, and a little puddy, not much to it. for the "bed" i just used a piece of cardboard out of a upgrade package. but you can also use part of a truck bed too. works quite well.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Stage 1 member

That’s what I was thinking. Using a one of the bed covers they sell and cutting it down to size and then using a little putty to make it all "flow". After it dries I could go back with a small, sharp knife and edge the panel lines to make it look like a bed cover and not a solid piece. But who knows I might dice up the body and make an exo-cage like a rock crawler.

O I like the Scooby as well, maybe I will get into the car side of this too later.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:45 PM
washed-up, retired, cool.

Trader Rating: (1)

How did you do the ball and receiver?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:33 PM
SPR

servo connecting parts from hobby grade 1/10th scale items.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 PM
...still here!

Trader Rating: (3)

Is the hummer body work done? LOL!!! j/k bro looks great! Glad that lift kit is goin to good use!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:17 PM
SPR

haha hey thanks a bunch for it! really appreciate the deal you cut me! specially with the tires, i love them! i cant wait till i get my truck chassis so i can install them for real!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:38 PM
SPR

Well this will be the last post for atleast a couple weeks guys.

I recieved my offroad fender flairs today. they sorta fit... ill have to make some custom modifications to them to get them to fit how i want. But they will look good when im done.

and the projects are going to be on hold for atleast 2 weeks. i just launched my new xmod business so i need to be putting all that money into it to get it going and making me money back. Then ill start back in on these projects. So im guessing they wont be done untill christmas time. But thanks for the continued support and comments, and feel free to keep posting! ill still be here to BS
Old 11-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Bored...

Trader Rating: (7)

great to hear you got 'em! and again, srry 'bout the shipping. (theater was eating up all my time)
Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 PM
SPR

no worries! cant wait to get em mounted!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Banned

Location: White padded room. Looking down on you. And your every move....

Wow that mock up looks insane, cannot wait till its done!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:23 AM
SPR

Well since my fender flairs finally came in, and i had to do enough work to them worth noting, ill go ahead and post this small update.
Cost $3

Upon installing, i did not like how they fit. I guess you must have to use the body kit front and rear bumpers for the fender flairs to fit right. So i was left with these gaps.

Thats just not tollerable.

Then next i decided i really didnt like the side skirts. They were just to fake looking to me, reminded me of transformers or something which i cant stand. I liked the black ones i had on there better. So They just had to go.

I did some more cutting on what was left of the flairs, trimmed, sanded, smoothed, and then painted black.

I also took this time to paint the inside of the grill of the hummer black. (That big glob of hot glue, led's, wire, and solder)

This will keep the body from glowing so much when the lights are on. it wont allow the light to travel backwards.

Then a little hot glue and bolting on the stock side skirts later, and i had this.

Much better to my taste and standards

SPR Rally Team Valued At: $245
SPR Rally Team My Cost: $60
Old 11-22-2008, 06:12 PM
RC CRAWLING ADDICT!

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to amorton94 Send a message via Skype™ to amorton94

wow that thing is sexy with those flairs!!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:56 PM
SPR

Thank you im pretty fond of them and how they turned out. I cant wait to get my chassis and get it lifted and everything together. its going to be killer!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 PM
auto body tech

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via Yahoo to spitfire

****! that hummer has change alot. but i like it.
it realy looks good.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:36 AM
SPR

i just wish i had the money to finish it right now. this freaking business has soaked me dry at the moment haha.

with in the next 2 weeks though i plan to be able to afford a quart of bondo. So i will finish the back end the correct way. i will mask everything off again, sand it down again. and repaint the base coat.... Again... and then hopefully ill lay out the snow camo graphics. not to sure how thats going to work yet though.... time will tell.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 PM
SPR

Heres some more mock up pics. I got a roller chassis in today. So i put on the lift and tires.

I will be widening the stance of the tires a little bit so it doesnt look so tall and narrow. and i will be doing a small body lift. But hey, heres a start

Closed Thread