Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Could this be FET's prob

hi, i was having some problems with one of my gen 1's, it had a great loss in torque , top speed is crap, and it sucks down batt juice in less then 10 mins... iv replaced every part on the car besides the electric board thinking it was hopefully a problem with binding or a bad motor but nope it wasnt....

could it be possible that one or both of the FET's on the board are goin bad or something , could a bad FET hurt performance or would it just not give the motor power?

also i have done 18g wire upgrade, removal of the on/off switch, and tight turns resister mod, it also has a stage 2 high torque motor thinking i would help my torques issue slightly.... it didnt tho....

Thanks for the help
Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3ap3r03 View Post
hi, i was having some problems with one of my gen 1's, it had a great loss in torque , top speed is crap, and it sucks down batt juice in less then 10 mins... iv replaced every part on the car besides the electric board thinking it was hopefully a problem with binding or a bad motor but nope it wasnt....

could it be possible that one or both of the FET's on the board are goin bad or something , could a bad FET hurt performance or would it just not give the motor power?

also i have done 18g wire upgrade, removal of the on/off switch, and tight turns resister mod, it also has a stage 2 high torque motor thinking i would help my torques issue slightly.... it didnt tho....

Thanks for the help
I have a lot of experience with FETs and whatnot so I will give my best guess on your issue.

USUALLY when I see FETs go they pretty well go up in smoke. One time, however, during a race I noticed a car get VERY sluggish for around 15 minutes minutes then the FETs burned up. At the time I thought the motor was the culprit. Since I didn't want to take any chances I just threw the motor away. It is possible that that motor was fine and the FETs were just wearing out or had an issue much like your car. Like I said though this is NOT typical.

Are you sure all your wiring is good and everything?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Stage 1 member

yes i am sure, i did those after the problem happened in hope to fix it or just get enough power to go as fast as it did stock but all threes mods really didnt do anything besides get rid or servo chatter
Old 05-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Elite member

Quote:
yes i am sure, i did those after the problem happened in hope to fix it or just get enough power to go as fast as it did stock but all threes mods really didnt do anything besides get rid or servo chatter
I've researched a little just now and found some evidence that might support having an issue with your FETs. One question though, is it sluggish both forward and reverse?

Also what kind of batteries are you using and how many?

Last edited by Action B; 05-04-2010 at 12:54 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Stage 1 member

yea it is slugish both forward and reverse, im not positive but it seems reverse has slightly better acceleration. I use the Radio shack Xmod batts and energizer 900mAh.

so u think maybe if i replace the FET's it may fix my problem?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Elite member

Quote:
yea it is slugish both forward and reverse, im not positive but it seems reverse has slightly better acceleration. I use the Radio shack Xmod batts and energizer 900mAh.

so u think maybe if i replace the FET's it may fix my problem?
Well, I'm going to be honest I dont think its likely but it is possible that you have something not making a good connection as far as FETs go. It would be more likely a bad connection elsewhere. This could be a battery tab on one of your batteries or perhaps a FET leg or a motor wire. I doubt replacing would be the issue but perhaps if the FETs heated up a solder joint could become faulty. Also you could have an issue with your power switch if you still have one. Check all the other stuff first and if you still have the issue you can try touching up the FETs legs to ensure good connection.

Also I would check the voltage of the batteries to be sure there is not an issue with either or both sets before I did anything else. A bad charger could even be the problem.

Last edited by Action B; 05-04-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 02:03 PM
XMS ADMINISTRATOR

Trader Rating: (17)

Be sure to check those batteries as the green Radio Shack (XMODS) batteries are garbage and generally give nothing but problems. I have several sets and only a few work decently anymore.
My XMODS
Proud member of Team NCXR

WANTED: Gen. 1 cf Chassis Upgrade (just parts from the upgrade will do fine)
Old 05-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFTKO View Post
Be sure to check those batteries as the green Radio Shack (XMODS) batteries are garbage and generally give nothing but problems. I have several sets and only a few work decently anymore.
Precisely my thoughts, along with the possibility of a faulty battery charger. This would definitely be the first step.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Stage 1 member

yea all the Batts and the chargers are fine, i havent had any prob with batts yet.
I think im just gonna get some FETs and see wut happens and hope for the best

i pretty much tried everything to troubleshoot this thing