Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic > Gamers Corner
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2007, 11:39 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Default PSP questions

Is it worth it? I travel during the week and was thinking about picking one up (there is one locally with the aluminum case and some games for like 250). Give me some real reviews and not just "well i head or my friend says"
Old 03-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Well... I dunno. I have one, and also had the DS. The DS has more classic games, but the PSP is a real value.

Two games you will need are "Wipeout: Pure", which is F-Zero on Crack; and "Lumines" which is kinda like playing tetris, while smoking the bong. The later game is so cool, and you can play for hours, just an amazing game. You won't get why it's so good until you play it...

Then there is the music and movie's thing. For under $60 you can find 1gb memory card, and with PSP9/Videora you can easily supress multiple movies to fit a gig, upwards of 5 or so, with good view, and then you can take the files from an ipod, and drop them to the PSP, since it play's Atrac's and MP3's...

ANd you can drop photos of home and family (your wife would like that, so you remember to come home, or possibly, stay away...) and other things to keep you happy...

Plus you have internet, and you can connect at starbucks if you have a membership, and many airports that I have been to all around the world* have Wi-Fi, so you can connect....

*Germany: Francfurt & Berlin; Paris: De Gual Airport; New Yor: JFK; Sweden: Landveter; Nederlands: Amsterdam....

It's kinda nice to have, and online play is good, it's better than an ipod if you don't plan to carry massive amounts of music, but it's also kinda bulky. Oh, and the graphics are easily up to par with Gamecube graphics, take a look at some of the screens...
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 03-17-2007, 11:54 PM
XMS Administrator

Plus you have internet, and you can connect at starbucks if you have a membership, and many airports that I have been to all around the world* have Wi-Fi, so you can connect....

Membership??? It dosent just connect to any wifi? I have to pay for yet another service?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to HellGuard99 Send a message via MSN to HellGuard99 Send a message via Skype™ to HellGuard99

Oh you dont pay, all wifi access points are practically free unless the retailers charge you for wifi access or something. If you have a certain version of the PSP, you can downgrade that version and install hacks allowing the ability to download full games. Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, is a solid awesome game for the PSP
Old 03-18-2007, 12:08 AM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellGuard99 View Post
Oh you dont pay, all wifi access points are practically free unless the retailers charge you for wifi access or something. If you have a certain version of the PSP, you can downgrade that version and install hacks allowing the ability to download full games. Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, is a solid awesome game for the PSP
So what version do i look for and what hacks are available??? Anyone want to sell their PSP?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:00 AM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

i want a PSP, but I have not wanted to cough up the dough for it. however for christmas my wife bought me a Gameboy micro from walmart, and there are some realy fun games for the gameboay advanced, however some of the good titles are becoming hard to find. nBut you can pick on up for about $50 and games for as low as $10 or cheaper if you don't mind used ones. Plus its so small it is about hte same size as my razor folded up, and you will easyler get used to the small screen.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
So what version do i look for and what hacks are available??? Anyone want to sell their PSP?
i use the hacks on my psp, they work great.

when you buy the psp, look on the bottom of it and if the last three numbers on the sticker thing are 1001, then turn it on, go all the way to left of the menu, go into "System Settings", scroll down, and find "System Information"

If the System Software is higher than 3.03 (NOT 3.30!), take it back and say it doesnt work. get one that has one lower than 3.03.

if it is lower than 3.03, upgrade to that (there is a link at the bottom od the post for more info) and then use a downgrader to get to 1.51.5 is the firmware that enables you to use the psp for many other things.

you can use it as a remote for PS2s with the Infra Red recievers, and many other things. you can put "homebrew" games on it too.

the only thing you can't do with 1.5 is internet. if you want that, you can upgrade back to 3.03. everytime you want to use it, but NEVER higher than that.

here is the link for more info:
http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about13524.html
i run homebrew stuff on my psp all the time.

you can also download the iso files or "roms" and run them straight from the psp, but it takes a while to load, depending on the game.

there is also some homebrew thta can run on any firmware, but you have to have a version of GTA Liberty City Stories that isnt patched. i will try to find a link that tells how to tell if it is patched or not.

Last edited by Skyline5654; 03-18-2007 at 08:29 PM..
Old 03-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Luk3 Send a message via MSN to Luk3 Send a message via Yahoo to Luk3

1. psp are at least 250 alone
2.the gaems are what 20-50$
3.i bought one for 120 with 4 games
4.if you downgrade to 1.5(i recommend you shouldnt)you can brick your psp which means its got a massive virus...wont work anymore thats a waste of money
5.it is worth it if you use it alot..you just gotta know what games to get
6.heres my recomendations:
use the rss feed to download stuff
get moto gp
get atv offroad fury pro
keep upgrading it,some hacks are good,but you can fack up your psp
EDIT** get the 1 gig or 2 gig stick it helps out alot instead of the crappy 32mb stick..guh
7.if you ever take it apart your screwed
Old 03-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to HellGuard99 Send a message via MSN to HellGuard99 Send a message via Skype™ to HellGuard99

If you manage to successfully downgrade, which is simple if you follow directions and are actually literate and actually does not need a dictionary every 5 minutes: You can upgrade your 1.50 PSP with a custom firmware which enables emulation of versions 3.10 or lower and access to customization of the XMB(Cross Media Bar Interface which is basically the menu when you start up the PSP) and much more features, Currently I'm too lazy to update so I'm emulating only 3.03, I bought a Japanese imported PSP Camera which has 1.3 megapixels; even though its 1.3 megapixels the quality is superb compared to other 1.3 megapixels camera, the quality of the photos and videos is even better than most of the 2.0 megapixel cameras and has a big resolution which shows no sign of quality loss in its photos. PSP is a must buy if you know how to use it, I'm getting a faceplate and set of buttons next week cuz my O button popped off.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Elite member

Send a message via MSN to adam

i may be interested in selling mine
Old 03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luk3 View Post
4.if you downgrade to 1.5(i recommend you shouldnt)you can brick your psp which means its got a massive virus...wont work anymore thats a waste of money
get moto gp
get atv offroad fury pro
EDIT** get the 1 gig or 2 gig stick it helps out alot instead of the crappy 32mb stick..guh
1) psp is only around 120 used (depending on where you go) and 200 new now.

2)If you follow the directions precisely, you won't brick it. Even if you do, if you bought it new, you can take it back within a week or so (the closer to the time you bought it, the safer you are, so they think you like JUST opened it) and say "it didn't work when you opened it" and sometimes they give you a new one. i did that cuz i didnt know what i was doing the first time, so when i saw something i didnt know how to do, i skipped it. just a word of advice, don't skip ANY steps if you downgrade it.

3)Let me refraise your statement.
If you take it apart, without knowing what you are doing, your screwed.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luk3 View Post
get moto gp
get atv offroad fury pro
Please get your facts straightened up before you post as
When you brick your PSP, you do not get a massive virus. To brick a PSP, you must flash corrupted files to your PSP or somehow make a corrupted file in it such as upgrading, if you pull out the charger while upgrading; it will disrupt the flow of data in the upgading and eventually you'll get corrupts and rendering your PSP useless. You dont get a virus..
Old 03-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Forum Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post

Membership??? It dosent just connect to any wifi? I have to pay for yet another service?
Starbucks uses T-Mobile's wireless hub, and they charge you to use it. Paris's De Gual Airport has hotspots, but you have to pay for them as well...

I have wireless at home, and that's the sole purpose of my having a psp, to use the internet when the PC is taken.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (17)

I really enjoy mine. The internet feature is great. The game I would recommend is GTA. Its a great game and if you have friends that have it, you can play against each other. Its pretty cool. You can do elimation and go around the whole entire city and try to kill each other. My brother and I play that a lot. its pretty fun
Tamiya TA-02

Traxxas Hawk 2
Old 03-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Advance member

Not to mention if you're asleep and cant sleep or in the toilet, hit up SOCOM Fire Team Bravo and get some online action while taking a dump or something.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Forum Idiot

Hands down, the most replayable game on PSP has been the same since release (I've had mine since then) is still Lumines. You have to try it. It's so simple. It's like Crack (but it's legal, and doesn't kill braincells, and you don't get cancer...), you just want to play again and again.

Wipeout is good too, and Ridge Racer as well. NSFU is crap, and Midnight Club takes forever to load...

g2g. more later.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Elite member

Send a message via ICQ to superinfinity Send a message via AIM to superinfinity Send a message via MSN to superinfinity Send a message via Yahoo to superinfinity

it does take a while to post though (this took around 4 mins!)
CTC-Founder
Dontspamme, Porsche isnt French you Tard!

http://s1.zetaboards.com/STLRacing_Forums/index/

Visit my Online Store!!! I do EVERYTHING!

Batteries:
http://skysthelimitracing.ecrater.co...php?cid=545233

Board Work:
http://skysthelimitracing.ecrater.co...php?cid=546175

Body Work:
http://skysthelimitracing.ecrater.co...php?cid=546687
Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via AIM to V8lover411

the psp is a great buy i have couple games for sale for it if anyone wants any
Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Elite member

Send a message via MSN to adam

hey waht games do u got
Old 03-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Elite member

Psp is da shiznit.
i got one, and i play music, movies, podcasts, game demos, all without hardley ever using a computer. find yourself a wifi area and you will e occupied for hours. you can play games online too. i have a head set which i use to say "I just pw0n3d that whole team of n00bz!"