Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale > January 10'-11' Build Off
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (5)

There will be a update later guys but first some bad news

My Dad phoned up the insurance company yesterday and its going to cost £3600 for insurance on my Dads, they said the car is in the lowest group but its just my age and experience. He said he won't pay for it and i can't pay for it so as soon as its done its getting sold on with the money he wants me to get a moped but i don't want one and iv got my reasons, freezing during winter and slipping on ice, get soaked when it rains and they make the most annoying noise ever. My Mum said she would pay for driving lessons but whats the point if i don't have anything to drive.

The Monster Mustang - Link

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air - Link

Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

im not sure about in the UK but over here the price is lower if you take more drivers ed classes, and there is also things like 40 hour teen driving programs you can do. you should defintly check it out and see what you can do, and since your mom offered to pay for it, i'd do as many as possible

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 AM
dirtlover/moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
im not sure about in the UK but over here the price is lower if you take more drivers ed classes, and there is also things like 40 hour teen driving programs you can do. you should defintly check it out and see what you can do, and since your mom offered to pay for it, i'd do as many as possible
EXACTLY...when i got my license...a LONG time ago LOL...drivers ed after school for a month, drivers training classes on the road for a week...and a B-average in school all helped lower your insurance...i know when i bought my first rig...car payment 182 a month...insurance 197 a month...could never quite understand it...good luck!...maybe look into an enduro motorcycle

Team X.I.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 AM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

There are a few things you can do in the UK to try and get it down but unfortunately not as many as in the US, when I bought my first car it was a 1982 Ford Fiesta 1.1L I paid 500 pounds for it and the insurance quotes got crazy!! I went with a company that was recommended by my college and they got the price down to 1000 pounds a year and that was without going on to my parent insurance or being the second driver of the car or any of the stuff you have probably tried to get the price down, it was crazy money but I only had the car for a year and by that time I had gained enough experience and not had any accidents to get the price down for my second car.

Now that I'm in the US with 13+ years of experience of driving various different vehicles in numerous countries I can insure a 4.6L sports car for 500 bucks a year, it's cost more to insure the wife's VW Tiguan which has an engine half the size

All I can say is call around, look online at the specialty companies, the last few pages of Max Power always used to list the companies that would ensure kids with hot hatches so maybe so you can get a better rate from one of those, also look at being the primary driver rather than adding yourself onto your Dad's policy.

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 07-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Elite member

insurance is outrageous over here now, the car was in the lowest insurance group, its just me being a new driver thats the problem, so its going to be somthing else, if i wasen't a car nut i wouldn't care what car i got but i am so i will be picky lol, i was thinking a rover 200 which is the predecessor of the 25 and imo has a nicer face, that wierdly costs just over £1000 to insure for the 1.4, then theres fords but i really hope i don't end up going chav route and get a peugeot.

The Monster Mustang - Link

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air - Link

Old 07-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckerz View Post
insurance is outrageous over here now, the car was in the lowest insurance group, its just me being a new driver thats the problem, so its going to be somthing else, if i wasen't a car nut i wouldn't care what car i got but i am so i will be picky lol, i was thinking a rover 200 which is the predecessor of the 25 and imo has a nicer face, that wierdly costs just over £1000 to insure for the 1.4, then theres fords but i really hope i don't end up going chav route and get a peugeot.
1000 per month/6months/year?

I pay about $160/month for the CST10 & CRX (CRX being more expensive). It's really not that much with a job. And, as far as vehicles go, both are hated by insurance companies. The only "discount" i get is for student and multiple cars. No "safe car" discounts for me... :P

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 07-25-2010 at 07:06 PM..
Old 07-25-2010, 07:38 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

It's probably a year as in the UK they tend to prefer the yearly policy renewals, mines 125$ a month for a 6 month period, then renewal, the Tiguan costs more than the Mustang.

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 07-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

And 83/month is unreasonable.....? I wouldn't sell a car for that.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

It's all about priorities.... what do you want to spend your money on, do you have a job, etc, etc...

My first car cost me 500 GBP, the insurance was 1100 GBP a year, I did some basic repairs but I didn't mod it as it just wasn't worth it.

My second car cost me 3000 GBP, insurance was 800 GBP a year, I was working a basic part time job, going to college, still living at home rent free, so I modified the heck out it.

When I got my third car my insurance was 600 GBP a year, I had finished uni and was working a really job making good money but I also had a place of my own with high London rents so the mods made to it turned out to be very minor.

I think what deckerz is finding is that as you can drive trying to modify a car isn't possible because things like insurance kill you.... 83 pounds may not seem a lot a month but if he isn't working or is working but has to pay rent he obviously wants to find a cheaper price.