Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star
Default Competition Tips and Tricks

I figured I'd start a thread for people to put in their 2 cents to help others bring more to the table in our competitions. As you guys put up your suggestions/opinions, I'll put them in the first post for easy reading.

A few things i suggest
#1...more important than anything at all TAKE GOOD PICTURES, use outdoor lighting if you can, or really good indoor lighting and choose a cool background...the pictures nearly sell the car better than the craftsmanship

#2...Custom Bodies...It's fun to paint Barricade and Bumblebee 35236236 times, but it's getting old. Put forth some effort and run down to the HS or Toystore and pick up a model body! I got 5 from KB Toys for $21 the other day, it isn't that expensive and they're that much more eyecatching in my opinion.

#3...Most of the competitions are going to require Non radioshack parts on your chassis...a good way to do this without going broke is just upgrading the motor to a PN Racing, Atomic motor, or a custom wound motor. GPM looks nice, but it's expensive. Rather than leave that chassis light grey and dark grey, test your painting skills, throw some color on that thing...besides, you cant order Italian Red or Pearl White GPM, be creative...working with what you have is very impressive.
(Noturday's Chevelle's Chassis is a great example)

#4 if you can try to make your own body kit or add something to make it your own using styrene, putty, etc. Chose a unique paint color scheme design. Even if it won't be an everyday color it will still catch your eyes.

#5 Take Your Time. Don't rush things take the time to do it right. Even if you don't make the cotm, don't rush, you will be much happier with the final result. There is always the next/another cotm.

Last edited by suicide_star; 06-29-2008 at 02:34 PM..
Old 06-29-2008, 02:28 PM
late model, xmods, microt

Trader Rating: (5)

#4 if you can try to make your own body kit or add something to make it your own using styrene, putty, etc. Chose a unique paint color scheme design. Even if it won't be an everyday color it will still catch your eyes.

#5 Take Your Time. Don't rush things take the time to do it right. Even if you don't make the cotm, don't rush, you will be much happier with the final result. There is always the next/another cotm.

#6 Make your own upgrades. Suspension setup, motor gears(xi's super charged motor pod for example), make it your own, servo, improvise parts like if they are out of stock online,(radline motor instead of a stock motor) simple things will make a big difference to.

that is my $0.02.
H-Crawler

Last edited by fieldfairy2; 06-29-2008 at 02:36 PM..
Old 06-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Kraizer793

Trader Rating: (2)

#7, unless your car/truck is in a bashed up contest. wipe it down with a lens cloth to make it shine a little in the pictures. however excessive shine will cause nasty reflections of the flash. which can turn the best of work into crap.

#8, stay original! don't do a car that has been done sever BILLIONS of times. I took a ford F1-50 and flipped it to a saleen truck, see their site to check it out.

that makes $0.04
Old 06-30-2008, 12:13 AM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

#9: look at the 25 cent vending machines in supermarkets and family restaurants. necklace chains are almost perfect scale and can be cut easily, and some stickers look pretty sweet on the hood or roof.

#10: don't rush. you may end up with a "flavor of the month" car that you hate later on. instead do what feels right at the time, removing, changing, or adding small details. it may take months or even years, but in the end, your car will never bore you.

#11: make sure your car is perfect before you paint it, and especially make sure you already have the bodykit, don't wanna find it after you paint your car.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:25 AM
[Not-your-day] - Badass

Send a message via AIM to noturday

those are some pretty good tips SS, i think i did all but make my own body kit haha. and thats pretty cool that you used my chassis as an example. this would probably have been more helpful though if it had been posted earlier than the day before the entry deadline haha, its all good though

Team XI
Old 06-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

#12 DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS. I see cars in the current comp with open windows to an ugly chassis (yes my chassis is also ugly, but I put windows in, can't see it), unpainted tail lights, unfitting rims. It's small things that build up. Paint all trim, handles, lights, and details that you comfortable can. Use painters tape to mask off things like side trim to leave a clean line. "Wash" the grille too. Basically, paint in the grille, and use a paper towl to wipe the paint off the raised area of the grille. The paint stays in the low area (open spots in the real car) and give a much more realistic look.

Somethings I did on the Buick,
Window sill on my windows: http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...IMG_5973-1.jpg
By adding side glass, you must also divide it on car's that have the hidden side windows. The entire side-glass is not one piece, can't open a door that way.

Wires: http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t/IMG_5978.jpg Got no head light, got wires hanging out. Little details man.

#13 Wheels and Tires! Seeing a 55 Bel Air with the skinny 5 spoke wheels and xmod tires that don't fill the wheel wells just looks bad! Get the right wheel-tire combo. It makes a huge difference in the end product. And get the right stance too. One of my pet peeves is that, and I did a ton of work to the front suspension to the Buick to lift it up enough to get a proper stance.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 06-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to fordman239

#14) practice makes perfect, if you do choose to do a model body, try a few for the first times you are custom making a body. the first time usually wont always be the best, so get used to it before you enter a comp.

#15) 6 cells are easy to do on gen1. try it, all you do is cut a wire and solder a new batt holder in, easy, simple, and its a fast upgrade done in 15 mins or less. it counts for a non rs upgrade and even if ur car is bone stock, gives you much more speed to a stock motor!
Old 06-30-2008, 01:38 PM
[Not-your-day] - Badass

Send a message via AIM to noturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman239 View Post
#14) practice makes perfect, if you do choose to do a model body, try a few for the first times you are custom making a body. the first time usually wont always be the best, so get used to it before you enter a comp.

#15) 6 cells are easy to do on gen1. try it, all you do is cut a wire and solder a new batt holder in, easy, simple, and its a fast upgrade done in 15 mins or less. it counts for a non rs upgrade and even if ur car is bone stock, gives you much more speed to a stock motor!
#14 doesn't even make sense, try rewording that, i didn't get anything out of the first part. and i don't see why everyone says its hard the first time you do a model body, the chevelle is my first and it turned out pretty good IMO

Team XI
Old 06-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Yeh, my 1st model body job was one of my best projects. Just word it as "practice makes perfect"

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 07-01-2008, 02:23 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (20)

keep those factory decals. I hate it when some guys on here paint over them cuz it was easier to paint the car. use some of the clear sticky vinyl around the decals they supply you with every car and cut it with a hobby knife to preserve them. try to get as close to the decal as possible. then remember to cut around it when removing or you will possibly pull up paint with it.

to keep paint from getting on your windows when painting take a duller pencil and trace your window to seal it a little better from over spray.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to fordman239

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Yeh, my 1st model body job was one of my best projects. Just word it as "practice makes perfect"
Quote:
Originally Posted by noturday View Post
#14 doesn't even make sense, try rewording that, i didn't get anything out of the first part. and i don't see why everyone says its hard the first time you do a model body, the chevelle is my first and it turned out pretty good IMO
i said usually, not always. my first was the lambo diablo and it was pretty good.