Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > Misc Electric
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 12:33 AM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Default What are the advantages of brushless?

Well?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

power, speed, torque, MEGA rpm. Much friendlier to higher voltages.

Pretty much everything.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 06-08-2008, 12:38 AM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
power, speed, torque, MEGA rpm. Much friendlier to higher voltages.

Pretty much everything.
You sound like a door to door salesman. I need more convincing than just open ended statements.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)

With brushless motors there are no brushes(no duhhh) and that reduces friction by a LOT, almost sets the motor near 0% friction.
That translates into more speed.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)

To add to what TI and BLT said, with their being no brushes means virtually maintenance free. Also since the motor can is sealed, you can run it in more situations, sand, dirt, mud, you get the idea. Another benefit is they run efficiently over a much wider range of power.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Most_Wanted View Post
To add to what TI and BLT said, with their being no brushes means virtually maintenance free. Also since the motor can is sealed, you can run it in more situations, sand, dirt, mud, you get the idea. Another benefit is they run efficiently over a much wider range of power.
Pretty much the only thing you got to do is lube the motor's bearings, but that takes little skill(if non).
Old 06-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289

Hey ZX9RBART, I didnt know you signed up at Maxima.org.

And you dont have to change the brushes from time to time.Like if you use one brushed motor alot,you might need to change the brushes.With brushless,you dont have to change the brushes at all. But brushless is way more expensive then brushed motors.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:17 AM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Redundancy for the win!

My main gripe with brushed motors is they will lose power after a while because the armature windings get unseated, the communicator and the brushes get worn down and also because brushed motors do not have as "smooth" of a powerband.

With a brushless motor, your armature windings are stationary. Unlike a brushed motor, they do not spin around in a neverending circle. Due to the constant spining, many winds on your typical brushed motor will become unseated and not provide the same amount of power as it once did. In a brushless motor, you do not have to worry about this happening.

In brushless motors, there are no communicators or brushes. So, the performance loss on a brushless motor is very minimal, if even existant.

Unlike a brushed motor, a brushless motor has three power wires as opposed to the two used for brushed motors. Essentially, a brushless motor is an AC motor because it communicates electronically (three power wires, and in most cases five sensor wires), not mechanically (brushes and a comm.). Because these motors communicate electronically, there is minimal arcing within the motor at higher speeds and more stress related environments.

My main favorite: brushless motors are a lot quiter than brushed motors of the same size.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 06-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Rethink It All

Send a message via AIM to RedSXmodder Send a message via MSN to RedSXmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
In brushless motors, there are no communicators or brushes. So, the performance loss on a brushless motor is very minimal, if even existant.
Commutator, not communicator...

Donzii's brough all the positive points across, but I'm going to share what I think brushless needs improvement on:

1) Since brushless uses sensors to "fire" the magnets inside the can, cogging can become an issue at low end RPM, like maintaining a slow gradual pace (like around corners racing), as the motor will seem like its pulsing.

2) Expense. Brushless isn't nearly as cheap as a brushed ESC/motor combo.

3) It may seem pointless at this scale, but at larger scales, being able to tune the timing of the motor via the motor itself is important. If you are a brushless user, and would like adjustable timing, be prepared to purchase a higher end tx system to be able to adjust motor timing.

However, the brushless motors are capable of extremely long runtimes.

Basically what it comes down to is how well you maintain a brushed motor. Brushed motors are plenty capable, but not nearly as user friendly as brushless.

Later,
RedSXmodder
Old 06-08-2008, 11:18 AM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSXmodder View Post
Commutator, not communicator...
I just rolled out of bed. Bite me.

Quote:
3) It may seem pointless at this scale, but at larger scales, being able to tune the timing of the motor via the motor itself is important. If you are a brushless user, and would like adjustable timing, be prepared to purchase a higher end tx system to be able to adjust motor timing.
True. But, with brushless, you should probably have a higher end TX anyway. This will ensure you'll get the full use from all of the features brushless has to offer. Plus, it's just safer.

But, with the Castle Creations you can purchase a USB cable that will allow you to hook up your ESC to your computer and run their software. With their software you can change a lot on your motor; from timing to drag brake settings and more! Many brushed ESCs will not allow you to do that because they don't have the technology.

Also, on many brushless ESCs from various companies, you're able to change settings with a touch of a button. Novak offers four different settings on it's GOAT ESC.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:

Old 06-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Rethink It All

Quote:
But, with the Castle Creations you can purchase a USB cable that will allow you to hook up your ESC to your computer and run their software. With their software you can change a lot on your motor; from timing to drag brake settings and more! Many brushed ESCs will not allow you to do that because they don't have the technology.
Its not that they don't have the technology. Its mainly a matter of the tx/rx system. Even in this scale, there are kits you can get that lets you program ESC functions, motor trim's, and other assorted adjustments. Castle just includes the ability to be able to program you ESC from the computer as an added luxery. You can still fine tune your brushed ESC's from tx.

In fact, it what it all comes down to is the capabilities/versatility of the ESC. The ability to plug it in the computer is purely luxery, lol...

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...c40cd98d0ac77b
^ basically brushed fine tune esc (and 1:28th for that matter)

Later,
RedSXmodder

Last edited by RedSXmodder; 06-08-2008 at 11:36 AM..
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 AM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Its not that they don't have the technology. Its mainly a matter of the tx/rx system. Even in this scale, there are kits you can get that lets you program ESC functions, motor trim's, and other assorted adjustments. Castle just includes the ability to be able to program you ESC from the computer as an added luxery. You can still fine tune your brushed ESC's from tx.
Of course some do, Red. That's why I said "many." The case can be flipped where in some instances some brushless ESCs do not allow you to make fine adjustments like others do, it just depends on the company manufacturing the ESC and the extent of which you're willing to pay.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:

Old 06-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Rethink It All

Quote:
It just depends on the company manufacturing the ESC and the extent of which you're willing to pay.
The most important point made in this whole "argument"...

Old 06-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)

I don't agree that the Castle Link is completely luxury. Yes i can program my ESC through my TX, minimally. If I want to fine tune it, I have to do it through my PC.

Another thing is cost, depending on the application, brushless isn't always way more expensive like everyone seems to think.

Two examples from experience:

1. On my Mini-T I changed to brushless which required the ESC/motor, new servo, and new RX/TX. I would have still needed those same items if I wanted to run any sort of hot motor that the stock ESC couldn't handle.

2. On my Rustler I had a race ESC (Tekin G11 Pro) which still retails for $130+, and then a new motor on top of that would push it to around $200 which is very much in the vicinity of the brushless set-ups prices.

I have yet to have any "cogging" issues with my 1/18th setup and from what I understand the Novak sensored BL motors are even better as far as smoother low speed throttle control.