Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a****84 View Post
I'm still with Ford on this one, cafepress is using their name, logos and cars without permission to get a profit. Thats copyright infringement, piracy, whatever you want to call it, it's illegal.

Some companys strictly enforce it, (Ford, Porsche, Disney, etc.), some don't.

They are not attacking their customers, they are attacking cafepress.
Logos maybe...but cafepress isn't using "Ford's Cars" as in pictures Ford has taken. These are pictures and cars taken and owned by photographers and people. Ford has no right to sue people for taking a picture of THEIR mustang and wanting to put it in the calendar.

Now if these were pics taken my Ford themselves of cars Fords OWNS then that's different. But these are cars by private owners and the pictures are taken by photographers who have already given permission to publish their photos.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

I believe Ford should choose their battles.

Cafepress isn't strictly selling the calender for instance strictly for profits off ford. They make the same money no matter what the content, and it's a flat fee for everyone. Ford's logos are not used, nor are Ford's pictures. Pictures taken by the owners, and used by the owners permissions were used.

Should I as a photographer be sued because I have sold pictures with a Ford in it? Or every video that has had a Ford car or truck, that was sold? Should Walgreens be sued because they made profit of developing my film that had a Ford car in a picture?

Thats where I'm getting at. Their going to waste time, and money fighting this and the Ford fans (this situation has warded off some Ford fans already, and current shoppers seeing this). Better off building better vehicles, and investing in the future.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 01-14-2008 at 11:14 PM..
Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (20)

you aren't ****ting there tex. when I worked at my last job Ford worried more about packaging then what was in it. oh well I can't ***** too much they did pull all their products they were having built in china and brought them back state side because quality was better here.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to fordman239

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Do you hear that sound? That is the sound of a ball dropping.

Nice one Ford. 1st you release the new F150 that looks like a retarded inbred cousin of the current GMC Sierra, and now this.

It's like Ford is in a foot race with Chrysler/Cerebus into who will fail 1st.

that does look alot like the gmc, actually. also, when chevy came out with their 2007 silverado, ford copied in 2008.

i know, im a fordman, but this has gone here. old fords are good.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:53 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to redrkt Send a message via MSN to redrkt Send a message via Yahoo to redrkt

Quote:
I'm still with Ford on this one, cafepress is using their name, logos and cars without permission to get a profit. Thats copyright infringement, piracy, whatever you want to call it, it's illegal.

Some companys strictly enforce it, (Ford, Porsche, Disney, etc.), some don't.

They are not attacking their customers, they are attacking cafepress.
Sorry but I have to disagree with you here on this one.

The ONLY thing that ford can control when it comes to copyright is the use of the FORD LOGO, they cannot claim copyright infringement on something that they sold to the general public for public consumption.

If you want to use that argument then you are in violation of copyright by using your computer to post anything to the internet or buy building a website and posting links to other sites/companies, because you have not obtained permission IN WRITING..... If you have read the TOS of ANY message board that you have joined or any website that you post anything to you will find that they have terms in the TOS to cover that and you agree to them without even reading them I bet.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Stage 2 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrkt View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree with you here on this one.

The ONLY thing that ford can control when it comes to copyright is the use of the FORD LOGO, they cannot claim copyright infringement on something that they sold to the general public for public consumption.

If you want to use that argument then you are in violation of copyright by using your computer to post anything to the internet or buy building a website and posting links to other sites/companies, because you have not obtained permission IN WRITING..... If you have read the TOS of ANY message board that you have joined or any website that you post anything to you will find that they have terms in the TOS to cover that and you agree to them without even reading them I bet.
I'm not posting on here or other forums for personal profit, I'm not violating anything. If I ever cite anyone or any work on here I'll give citations to credit the creator.

Ford, the Ford logo, Mustang, and Mustang logo and other associated nameplates are trademarks of the Ford Motor Co.

I'll repeat, Ford is not attacking the owners of the cars, they are attacking cafepress for profitting from their work, and other companys for using Ford trademarks in their company names.

Current Project:
Ford F-350 Supercab Dually + custom trailer.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
I'm not posting on here or other forums for personal profit, I'm not violating anything. If I ever cite anyone or any work on here I'll give citations to credit the creator.

Ford, the Ford logo, Mustang, and Mustang logo and other associated nameplates are trademarks of the Ford Motor Co.

I'll repeat, Ford is not attacking the owners of the cars, they are attacking cafepress for profitting from their work, and other companys for using Ford trademarks in their company names.
Ford does not have the rights to control what the owners do with their cars.

This means every photographer that has sold photos with a Ford car is in the wrong... Every artist who has a Ford car depicted in the piece of art is in the wrong... Every DVD movie or video that features a Ford car (EX: street racing, Indi films, etc etc, where cars are not provided by the manufacturer as product placement) is in the wrong... Every T-Shirt maker for a local event (Car shows, drag events) that has a Ford car is in the wrong... Every roll of film or picture developed with a Ford car, that place of business that did the picture printing is in the wrong.

Ford has their rights over the name plate, over the logos, and over their own media. Not the owners cars. Nor the photos the owners took, and sold.
Sure, if someone slapped a Ford logo on a mug, and sold it, thats one thing. Someone selling a mug with a picture of a Ford car that they took, thats totally different.

Otherwise, seems FoMoCo is taking a bigger bite then they can chew, with the fans.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 01-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned

thats really styupid, the guy that owns ford must be out of his freakin mind, i mean, we should be able to take pictutres of what everer we want, and to also have any calender we waNT ON THIS WEB PAGE.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Stage 2 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Ford does not have the rights to control what the owners do with their cars.

This means every photographer that has sold photos with a Ford car is in the wrong... Every artist who has a Ford car depicted in the piece of art is in the wrong... Every DVD movie or video that features a Ford car (EX: street racing, Indi films, etc etc, where cars are not provided by the manufacturer as product placement) is in the wrong... Every T-Shirt maker for a local event (Car shows, drag events) that has a Ford car is in the wrong... Every roll of film or picture developed with a Ford car, that place of business that did the picture printing is in the wrong.

Ford has their rights over the name plate, over the logos, and over their own media. Not the owners cars. Nor the photos the owners took, and sold.
Sure, if someone slapped a Ford logo on a mug, and sold it, thats one thing. Someone selling a mug with a picture of a Ford car that they took, thats totally different.

Otherwise, seems FoMoCo is taking a bigger bite then they can chew, with the fans.
Ford is not attacking the owners.

Ford is attacking cafepress for printing and profitting from a calender with Ford trademarks on it. BMC and its members has done nothing wrong, they are just caught in the crossfire between Ford and Cafepress. Cafepress was using the Ford name without permission from Ford.

This sort of thing happens quite a bit, everyone is quick to hop on the "Ford sucks" bandwagon but many other companys have done the same thing, Harley-Davidson, Disney, Porsche, among others.

Legally Ford is right on this one, however silly it may seem.

Current Project:
Ford F-350 Supercab Dually + custom trailer.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:50 PM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Quote:
Ford is not attacking the owners.

Ford is attacking cafepress for printing and profitting from a calender with Ford trademarks on it. BMC and its members has done nothing wrong, they are just caught in the crossfire between Ford and Cafepress. Cafepress was using the Ford name without permission from Ford.

This sort of thing happens quite a bit, everyone is quick to hop on the "Ford sucks" bandwagon but many other companys have done the same thing, Harley-Davidson, Disney, Porsche, among others.

Legally Ford is right on this one, however silly it may seem.
The problem the calender company is not making the profits from fords logos, they are making the profit from what they supply the paper and the ink.

Also if you a celebrate your likeliness is public property if you expose your self to the public your images are public. That's how the paparazzi make a living, I feel this is the same thing just cars not people.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (20)

I know I watch some commercials on TV alot and see things removed on cars like decals and logos so they dont have to pay royalties to the repective trademark holders. here is a couple of examples for you.
Mustang logo removed from the grill on a adult diaper commercial.
Chpis ahoy commercial another mustang grill area with no logo also.

Keep your eye out next time and watch some of these commercials believe me they should just pay for the trademark rights and move on like every one else does. taking pictures of your own car then sending it to friends is one thing, publishing it for profit and not paying royalties is just what it is stealing.
every one of the xmods had a royalty paid to their trademark holders before you got it also if not RS and HPI would be in some deep **** if they didn't.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Surgeon

It's not necassarily that they want to get sued for royalties, but also so they don't give the other company free advertising. The same goes for music videos, if you see an addidas logo, for example, it is either blurred out or addidas paid to keep it in the music video. Neil Young's song "This notes for you" wasn't played on air at one time because it mentioned name brands.

Depending on the company they may or may not leave the logos visible, that is all about not giving free promotion to another company.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Teh 1337 Azn

Send a message via AIM to vietazndude Send a message via MSN to vietazndude

its been resolved,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomocona
I monitor several webpages on behalf of Ford and I hope you don't mind me posting a comment here. The calendar issue was a misunderstanding and it has been resolved. Ford does not intend to alienate any enthusiasts clubs and that's why we moved quickly to clear the air. For more details please see the Black Mustang Club official website BMC Calendars: Approved by Ford & For Sale! - BMC Forums - Black Mustang Club . We appreciate our loyal customers and Mustang enthusiasts such as the Black Mustang Club members.

Fighting in a forum is like being in the special olympics, Win or lose Your still retarded!