Go Back   XmodSource.com > Mini & Micro > Mini & Micro Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

Trader Rating: (8)
Default Skyline GT-R R35

I am gonna be working on my first Mini-Z and am very excited to get to work on it. I plan on using a lot of carbon fiber/graphite parts on the chassis. To keep with the carbon look, I will use dark colored aluminum for all parts that will need to be aluminum. I just got it in the mail yesterday...

Here it is all packaged up w/ the light kit and the graphite front and rear box covers (I really like how Kyosho packages their cars)...

Mini-Z001.jpg

Here is a nice side/front view of the car (You can really notice the detail they put into their bodies)...

Mini-Z007.jpg

Here is a straight on view of the front...

Mini-Z008.jpg

Here is a view of the rear...

Mini-Z009.jpg

I will continue posting more updates when I get new parts...
Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 AM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

nice.... looks excellent

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 02-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via MSN to Spoon_Tuner

So it does come with wide rear wheels...
Old 02-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

Here are some pics of the graphite front and rear box's that I have installed...

Here is the stock chassis. I notice that the pos battery wire had a capacitor attached to it. The instructions said that it is a circuit breaker the cuts power to the motor when heavy loads or damage to the motor causes excessive electrical flow. Since this is my first Mini-Z, I'm not sure if they all are like that or not.

Mini-Z002.jpg

Here is a full view of the chassis...

Mini-Z003.jpg

Here are the graphite pieces...

Mini-Z004.jpg

Here is what the rear looks like w/ the graphite...

Mini-Z005.jpg

And here is what the front looks like w/ the graphite...

Mini-Z006.jpg

The box said that the MA-010 is equipped with an "RA-12" receiver unit that has a built-in speed control amp with approx. 30% more capacity for more running power.
I have another thread that has what I had to do to get the lights to fit since this body style didn't have any spots for the lights.

http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16038
Old 02-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

Yes it did come with wider wheels in the rear
Old 02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Advance member

Send a message via MSN to Spoon_Tuner

Yeah all of the Mini Z's these days have the circuit breaker on them.

They call those the "revised" motors.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:28 PM
aka xmod4life

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Kustom Send a message via MSN to Dr. Kustom

The car is looking clean my friend, also, great job on the lights.
Any other upgrades you gonna add on to the chassis?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

I'm probably gonna do bearings next, after that I think I'm gonna get the clear grey Skelton chassis. Do they make a carbon fiber or aluminum chassis? I haven't seen one. After that I will probably do the SAS suspension upgrade after the chassis. Then I think I'm gonna start to get the titanium knuckles, drive shaft, and gears. Not to sure what to do after that. I will eventually upgrade it to the 2.4 ghz. Will probably wait on that though, since it is so expensive.

This is all just a thought right now. Since there is so much I can do, I'm not sure what will be next.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineLvr View Post
I'm probably gonna do bearings next, after that I think I'm gonna get the clear grey Skelton chassis. Do they make a carbon fiber or aluminum chassis? I haven't seen one. After that I will probably do the SAS suspension upgrade after the chassis. Then I think I'm gonna start to get the titanium knuckles, drive shaft, and gears. Not to sure what to do after that. I will eventually upgrade it to the 2.4 ghz. Will probably wait on that though, since it is so expensive.

This is all just a thought right now. Since there is so much I can do, I'm not sure what will be next.
I have a SAS suspension I'm not using. Let me know if you want it, though I don't like it. I recommend tire upgrade immediately. You will regret it if you do all aluminum gears. Do not change your stock driveshaft, trust me although others are lighter, none are as straight and perfect as the stock. You'll lose mores power from the imperfections than the weight reduction and reduced rotating momentum is worth.

It looks like on RCP that body will slow you down. What kind of offsets are those?

I know you like the body, I can relate because I LOVED my lancia delta body, but had to give it up to be competitive. I still plan on making a drift car out of it one day so I can use that body again. Oh and what length is the chassis? its going to be 90, or 94mm.

Last edited by Action B; 02-16-2009 at 05:56 PM..
Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 PM
aka xmod4life

Quote:
Do not change your stock driveshaft, trust me although others are lighter, none are as straight and perfect as the stock. You'll lose mores power from the imperfections than the weight reduction and reduced rotating momentum is worth.
Hmm...after i installed the carbon fiber drive shaft in one of my AWD, it seems like it helps increased the acceleration of the car...
Old 02-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Elite member

They make carbon fiber now? Hmm. maybe those are good. I dont know about them honestly. I was referring to the titanium upgrades. I haven't seen a carbon one yet.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:18 AM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

titanium screws are kinda helpful
shafts of titanium i agree are not worth it.
and it looks like a 94mm chassis

a PN chassis extension might be in order here as well as either a mclaren or enzo bodyshell if you're going to race it.
tires have the most effect on the handling. get the right tires, and some corners get so much easier to drive through

Last edited by XMDrifter; 02-17-2009 at 12:22 AM..
Old 02-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

thats one clean skyline bro!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 AM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Instead of graphine I'd get full alum front/rear covers with arms. You've strengthened the arms, but the plastic cover might still give out in a long run rendering your new arms useless. Alum would only break if the screw posts get busted, and that may well happen too.

If anything, get the gray/blue SP skeleton and keep it as a reserve.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

I'm not sure what the length is. The box says "Wheelbase/M/90MM L/94MM". I might consider changing some parts to aluminum, or titanium. I wanna keep some of the look Carbon fiber. I will either have to just modify some parts to get the look I want. Not sure how yet though, seeing as I really don't have anything to work with yet. I will get a new body once I get her ready for it. Right now I am just working on drifting.

I re-did the tail lights. I took the lights out of my Xmod GTR and modified them to fit into my Mini-Z. They light up a lot better, and look better too. I will post some pics after work
Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
Instead of graphine I'd get full alum front/rear covers with arms. You've strengthened the arms, but the plastic cover might still give out in a long run rendering your new arms useless. Alum would only break if the screw posts get busted, and that may well happen too.

If anything, get the gray/blue SP skeleton and keep it as a reserve.
I love the graphite pieces. I dont think it will crack in the center. Though, I have money on that your smoke chassis will crack below the batteries eventually.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Never said the graphite will crack, but the plastic gearbox cover underneath.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:37 PM
aka xmod4life

Quote:
I'm not sure what the length is. The box says "Wheelbase/M/90MM L/94MM". I might consider changing some parts to aluminum, or titanium. I wanna keep some of the look Carbon fiber. I will either have to just modify some parts to get the look I want. Not sure how yet though, seeing as I really don't have anything to work with yet. I will get a new body once I get her ready for it. Right now I am just working on drifting.

I re-did the tail lights. I took the lights out of my Xmod GTR and modified them to fit into my Mini-Z. They light up a lot better, and look better too. I will post some pics after work
The GT-R is 94mm wheelbase.
As for the lights, here's some pics on how I mounted the LEDs. They might give you some ideas.

Last edited by Dr. Kustom; 02-17-2009 at 02:55 PM..
Old 02-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

I did a similar set-up with my head lights. I wish you would have posted this a few days ago. I like how you have the tail lights set up. I ended up ruining my stock tail lights and had to use my Xmod GTR tail lights. They are a little bit smaller, but they fit pretty well. I may end up buying a new body and trying out that set-up eventually.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

I was gonna get the ceramic bearings for my Mini-Z, but I installed the open bearings from my Skyline X-mod (She has a damaged ep, so she's just on the self for now) and it works great. I think I'm gonna wait on the ceramics until after I get my Xmod up and running.

Now I'm not to sure where I wanna go next. I am thinking about doing a chassis upgrage to the Skelton. I wanna get the clear grey one, but have heard that the clearer plastics aren't as strong as the dark grey/blue chassis. Is this true?