Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 12:55 AM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

here's a problem:
if we did this, it would be mostly just us, so we'd make the races accessible to all, but the problem is we're all over the place. us US citizens are isolated into corners of the country, and then there's everyone else everywhere else. i know Atlanta would be a good place to accomodate the southeast US (blacksky, me, winner, b-shizzle, and of course some others live there, plus it's very central), but we'd have to have a northeast, a northwest, a southwest, australian, british/european, canadian, and possibly others. nobody's gonna hop onto a plane to race an xmod, so there's no way we could have an international or even national competition. it's just too hard.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:49 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

There are already many established mini-z clubs out there. The only difference is you'll be stacked against Zs as well. Like you said, you know you'll lose to them so just focus on beating other xmod owners, and if you beat some Z owners then good work.

In my local club that I now run, 5 of us have mini-z and 3 of us have xmods. The resources are already there and hfay has already got the ball rolling. I'm willing to meet up with anyone in my area with an xmod that wants to run hfay. I'm pretty open minded, xmod owners in my area are welcome to meet up with us, run the track and participate in hfay for FREE. I'm sure other 1/28 clubs would too. Of course if you guys want to have your own thing I'm not mad at you, its just that this scale could use the backing from the support of Z and xmod owners. Its not that popular of a scale already. Hell, you guys dont even know how much longer xmods will be around for so many of you may have to race mini-z one day if you really do like 1/28 scale.

Last edited by Donziikid; 06-01-2009 at 03:14 PM..
Old 06-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.hotrod View Post
hey how does that microsizers counter work? like what makes it function?
Its good for only one car. Its the same basic lap counter as the ZipZaps one radioshack sold. It has a main unit that sends out a IR or laser beam across the track to reflective piece. Once the beam is broken it registers the lap.

FYI, the unit was not powerful enough to beam across my mini-96, so I used one of my wifes tiny mirrors from her make-up powder to reflect the beam. Works flawlessly now.

I sat the unit outside the RCP track and cut a small hole in the track rails for the beam to transmit through. I taped the edges of the mirror on the opposite inside of the track to reflect the beam.

So racers, who individually has or can come up with a track??? Or who has access to a track?? Post if you do.

+ Nissan GT-R
+ Audi R8
Old 06-01-2009, 11:18 AM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird999 View Post
here's a problem:
if we did this, it would be mostly just us, so we'd make the races accessible to all, but the problem is we're all over the place. us US citizens are isolated into corners of the country, and then there's everyone else everywhere else. i know Atlanta would be a good place to accomodate the southeast US (blacksky, me, winner, b-shizzle, and of course some others live there, plus it's very central), but we'd have to have a northeast, a northwest, a southwest, australian, british/european, canadian, and possibly others. nobody's gonna hop onto a plane to race an xmod, so there's no way we could have an international or even national competition. it's just too hard.
all you need is a track. how hfay works from what i have read is you get plans on how to lay the track out, timing system, and you post your lap times with video. so its not like you have to all be in one location....

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 06-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Stage 1 member

Send a message via AIM to supraracer

Quote:
here's a problem:
Thats one of the best things about HFAY, you dont need to be able to get together. Everyone sets up the same track layout and you get your time/number of laps and you post it online to compare and set your rankings. I agree ,although not very into xmods anymore, this would be a good idea considering the lesser performance to mini-z. and yes it alot to do with the driver but a better base doesnt hurt.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

now this is spooky

if you go on xmf you will know what im talking about lol

it would be nice if you could trust people to run a car that is what it says

but chances are someone will run a mod car and claim its stock

XMS and XMF february COTM winner
Old 06-01-2009, 01:34 PM
MSI <3

another problem is that people can go and go and go again until they get a nearly impossible time.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:13 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Everyone needs to keep a cool, level head or I'll lock this. Leave your emotions and problems at the door. This is a mature discussion; quit "calling each other out."

I've deleted the useless banter and bickering between each other. Learn to play nicely.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Elite member

Cheating shouldn't be too big an issue except for a mini-z board being placed into an xmod. Speed upgrades are relatively worthless. One time I threw in a better motor into my mini-z to run Hfay to see if it would even make a difference and my car was slower around the track because it just makes it harder to drive accurately. Hfay is all about handling and consistency.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:54 PM
MSI <3

but then again, speed can't hurt, just make every aspect proportional... i mean don't do that. that's bad.

Last edited by firebird999; 06-01-2009 at 04:56 PM..
Old 06-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo855 View Post
all you need is a track. how hfay works from what i have read is you get plans on how to lay the track out, timing system, and you post your lap times with video. so its not like you have to all be in one location....
Quote:
Originally Posted by supraracer View Post
Thats one of the best things about HFAY, you dont need to be able to get together. Everyone sets up the same track layout and you get your time/number of laps and you post it online to compare and set your rankings. I agree ,although not very into xmods anymore, this would be a good idea considering the lesser performance to mini-z. and yes it alot to do with the driver but a better base doesnt hurt.
Thats exactly the point. All of us (for the most part) are spread-out all over the world. One of us here...one of us there. This about you doing this from your own residence, if you're not apart of a racing group.

Quote:
another problem is that people can go and go and go again until they get a nearly impossible time.
Yeah, thats sorta it. Everyone gets a month to record/video their best times on that months track. Don't post a crappy run, but keep practicing until you get a flawless race. At the end of the month everyone submits their best times and video.

So, I'll ask again...who here has access to a RCP track?? If no ones does, then all of this bantering back and forth is worthless.

Anyone that has a RCP mini-96 that wants to do a test race for the month of June, speak-up and we'll get our race on. I'm ready to see what some of you guys have!!

+ Nissan GT-R
+ Audi R8

Last edited by aquaman; 06-01-2009 at 05:27 PM..
Old 06-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Xmod Expert

I have access to rcp at my lhs but we cannot re-arrange the track for HFAY...practicing by running over and over is allowed... that is the only way how you become a better driver.
Speed DOES hurt........if you actually race you would realize you want to find a good medium of speed and stick to it.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
As long as it's a real time that they achieved, more power to them. Did you suppose that Michael Schumacher never practiced? lol...

aquaman, good point about not having classes to begin with... "open class" suits the Xmod philosophy just fine.

I have a Mini-96 in storage... could definitely take it out during the summer and do a little Xmod HFAY with anyone interested.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by color0 View Post
As long as it's a real time that they achieved, more power to them. Did you suppose that Michael Schumacher never practiced? lol...

aquaman, good point about not having classes to begin with... "open class" suits the Xmod philosophy just fine.

I have a Mini-96 in storage... could definitely take it out during the summer and do a little Xmod HFAY with anyone interested.
Sounds great!

I've had my mini-96 out for a while and been running the cars frequently. As soon as you're ready, post and we'll decide on a track layout.

If you can't tell...I don't mess-around.

+ Nissan GT-R
+ Audi R8

Last edited by aquaman; 06-01-2009 at 07:40 PM..
Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Elite member

Well, it really depends on everyone else... not everyone can afford a $200 Mini-96 so I'd be wary of starting anything prematurely.

Man I haven't driven my cars in months, lol...
Old 06-01-2009, 10:57 PM
micro-creationist

As it has been pinted out, I have access to track and a timing system but unfortunately it's not mini-96.

I'm also going to have to get an xmod again (maybe I can build up a gen1 from my scrap heap)

Anyhow, the discussion does seem to be rolling along and we have some points worth clarifying:

1. Is "Open class" the only class? It seems to me that anything to make the car handle better would be more important than faster.

2. What surface should be raced on? Most people could/would not sheel out for a mini-96 RCP so how could we arrange this? Do we do the "garden hose on the tennis court or smooth paving" for one month and then switch to RCP for those who have it?

3. Once a surface is established and a layout agreed upon, how do we establish time/laps? Video of the event is likely but a timing system might be unlikely for those without the means to purchase one. Do we plan for a certain amount of laps during a set period and stopwatch the event?

Some continued discussion is in order, yes?
Old 06-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Elite member

Video of the run would not be a bad idea, given that a lot more of us have video-capable cameras than lap counters. Less investment, although it does raise the question of differentiating between two runs that are REALLY close.

Maybe since it's all for fun we won't have any problems with ties for placing?

Back to surfaces, our biggest issue... Tennis courts are the easiest thing to standardize, but would everyone be willing to go to one, setup a track there (this is another problem), and have a race? If so I would say this is a MUCH better solution than buying a track surface. It would also open up possibilities for larger layouts, which IMO the Xmods are more suited for.

Some tennis courts are very picky about their usage, however, and may not like you running an RC car around on the court. We should have measures to convince court owners that this won't be an issue (they're so small and harmless! ).

In one week and a few days (finals week + MRCG1.1 launch!) I'll have some time to myself; I can go down to the tennis courts, setup a track and drive some laps (either my dorm-mate's Gen 1 or my MRCG1.1) on video just to test out the concept of video timing.

Food for thought: given that Xmods are slower around a track than Mini-Z's, I'm thinking we should go for 30 laps as fast as possible instead of 50 laps.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Rethink It All

Send a message via AIM to RedSXmodder Send a message via MSN to RedSXmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by color0 View Post
Video of the run would not be a bad idea, given that a lot more of us have video-capable cameras than lap counters. Less investment, although it does raise the question of differentiating between two runs that are REALLY close.

Maybe since it's all for fun we won't have any problems with ties for placing?
It really is all for fun, and thats what I think a majority of the people who race are going to race for. Prizes just makes things tricky, and you get people who'll try and cheat and stuff.

Quote:
Back to surfaces, our biggest issue... Tennis courts are the easiest thing to standardize, but would everyone be willing to go to one, setup a track there (this is another problem), and have a race? If so I would say this is a MUCH better solution than buying a track surface. It would also open up possibilities for larger layouts, which IMO the Xmods are more suited for.
Tennis courts are GREAT, and nobody uses the tennis courts around here anyways.

What did we decide for an "official" track layout? It can't be too technical (excessive hairpins and difficult corners) but it should still be challenging enough that it requires practice. Ideas?

Team Redmade Motors- Building Motors that rise above the rest!

Rethink It All
Old 06-02-2009, 06:04 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

i'll draw one up and post it. see what you guys think.
tennis courts are the best for xmods i think. lots of bite and really smooth track surface
edit:

Last edited by XMDrifter; 06-02-2009 at 06:26 PM..
Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
i'll draw one up and post it. see what you guys think.
tennis courts are the best for xmods i think. lots of bite and really smooth track surface
edit:
Is this about right?

Here's a few others...

+ Nissan GT-R
+ Audi R8