Go Back   XmodSource.com > XMS > New Members
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 03:04 PM

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Gnu to xmods

Hi all, I bidded on this Xmod on impulse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-XMODS-SUPRA...0|293:1|294:50

and I'm worried that I may be making the wrong decision of buying a fun r/c car over getting a Mini-Z.

Please prove me wrong. I plan to not do any racing. Just want a car that I'd be able to at least drift a little with.

Also, how is the proportional throttle on the xmods? I hear for steering its 12 point though.

Last edited by NightShadow; 03-16-2009 at 04:55 PM..
Old 03-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289

Just get a Mini,z.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:20 PM
TEAM DISPLACEMENT FOUNDER

Send a message via Yahoo to mr.hotrod

not to start a flame war or anything it all depends on what you want to do with your rc if you want to race competitivly get a mini z. if you want more of something to play with just with your friends in a garage get a xmod they will take a little more abuse. i am getting sick and tired of this get a mini z no matter what crap minizs are good and the digi propo on them is nice but they are expensive if you want to shell out the cash go ahead but if you cant afford it go get an xmod they are just as fun and they will handle the abust pretty well but its all up to you.
fast and the furious tokyo drift mustang 100%
rsx rally car 80%
nine in the quarter100%
HMU on live folks MrHotRod1971
Old 03-16-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.hotrod View Post
not to start a flame war or anything it all depends on what you want to do with your rc if you want to race competitivly get a mini z. if you want more of something to play with just with your friends in a garage get a xmod they will take a little more abuse. i am getting sick and tired of this get a mini z no matter what crap minizs are good and the digi propo on them is nice but they are expensive if you want to shell out the cash go ahead but if you cant afford it go get an xmod they are just as fun and they will handle the abust pretty well but its all up to you.
i agree. i too had that rationale when placing my bid. thanks for the comment
Old 03-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

Sounds like a good deal i got my white supra, with a bodykit for $5 no joke i seriously got it for $5 & it was in good shape. And it came with the chassi.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Welcome to the nightmare, NightShadow.

I'm sure you won't regret purchasing an Xmod. Although they can be slightly harder to drift than a MiniZ, I'm sure you'll fully enjoy the learning process along the way. I would suggest reading the following thread in its entirety; I'm not sure how familiar you are with drifting small scale RCs, so hopefully this'll help if you're not!

The 1:28 “Drift Bible”, written by Color0.

Again, welcome aboard Xmodsource, please enjoy your stay. If you have any further questions, please post them.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Gen 1 junkie !

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to dontspamme Send a message via MSN to dontspamme

You will want to get tight turns for the Gen 1 chassis. The steering is really bad.

If your drifting with the stock setup and such, get the AWD and drift kit or just tape the tires in scotch tape, electrical tape etc...

Mr.Hotrod has the correct idea. Xmods are more for playing around while Z's are more for competitive racing.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadow View Post
Please prove me wrong.
Okay, everyone, tell him what he wants to hear.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 PM

thanks guys. really reassuring.

though the tight turns thing is still over my current skill level since i have not a soldering set nor experience in soldering. i'll probably let a shop do that for me heheh.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:21 PM

in august tripple x modder might do it i cant remember if you give him the parts he installs for free
rsx rally car 80%
nine in the quarter100%
Old 03-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Xmod Expert

I won't type it out why the kyosho is better..... give me until next weekend and I'll prove it on video! (2.4ghz modified 2wd chassis running on an open/technical track)

I've done hobby grade xmods, hobby grade mini-z, and kyosho stock owns all 1:28
Old 03-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.hotrod View Post
in august tripple x modder might do it i cant remember if you give him the parts he installs for free
unfortunately that doesnt sound as easily done as it sounds. i live aaaaaaaaallllll the way in malaysia. hopefully my xmod gets through customs alright.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
I won't type it out why the kyosho is better..... give me until next weekend and I'll prove it on video! (2.4ghz modified 2wd chassis running on an open/technical track)

I've done hobby grade xmods, hobby grade mini-z, and kyosho stock owns all 1:28
look im tired of saying this kyosho is really nice but its **** expensive maybe he cant afford it. Or maybe he/she isnt carefull enough for a 200 dollar rc car. the xmods are great as a start and if you are rough on cars. It is all what you want to do with it. Frankly i loved my mini z before i sold it but i was too **** rough i was replacing parts every two days. so i started playing with my xmods again. They take the abuse way better the only thing i have done to my xmods is burn up the fets or range and i intend to fix both.
so the point to this rant was mini z is not neccsesaraly better than xmods. it is what you use them for.
rsx rally car 80%
nine in the quarter100%
Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Xmod Expert

He stated he wanted a car to drift with... a stock mini-z can drift decently but an xmod will need more modifications before making it comparable to how it can drift to the ma010 platform. I was just putting my post out there...
Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

Just get a Mini-Z. They are the best. lol, j/k. I've had Xmods and I currently own a AWD Mini-Z. I love them both. I'm really into my Z right now, but my Xmods were great. My Mini-Z is costing me a small fortune, lol. My wife really likes to rub it in my face with how much I pay attention to it, and not her, lol.

Xmods are fun. They are cheaper, can handle more abuse, easy to upgrade. I would suggest you get the awd upgrade, at least a stage 2 motor upgrade, and the suspension upgrade. You should also get the drift tire upgrade, but if you have some electrical tape, then just tape your tires up. It works great. I do that with my Mini-Z and it is a blast. I would definitely get the tight turns upgrade. It is really easy to do, and if you know anyone with a solder gun they can probably do it for you.

Good choice of Xmods too (I would have chosen a Skyline though, lol j/k). I really like the Gen 1's. Careful when you take it apart though, the wiring can be a bit fragile. I think you will really enjoy it. If you really start to get into the hobby, then you might want to take a look at a Mini-Z. I started with Xmods, then got a Mini-Z.

Before anyone starts to cry about me bashing on Xmods, I'm not. I just gave my opinion on them (and if you actually read everything I wrote, I didn't do any bashing). I love Xmods, but I'm now into Mini-Z's
Old 03-19-2009, 06:20 AM

awesome. you gais are awesome. xmods are awesome. i feel reassured. hehe.

pardon my newbieness but what does this term "fets and range" mean?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

FET's are little black transmitters that help control forward and reverse. Upgrading your FET's will allow you to run more power motors. Range means the distance you can control your car. More range means the farther away you can be from your car while controlling it. I know that there is a lot more detail that can go into explaining this, but I thought I would just give a quick and easy explaination.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Elite member

Seriously Xmods arent too bad. In my opinion its a really bad idea to drive an mini-z outside or in abusive conditions. Xmods are more durable I think, though, I only race my mini-Z on RCP track which is soft with foam walls, so, I've never broken my car by wrecking.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
Seriously Xmods arent too bad. In my opinion its a really bad idea to drive an mini-z outside or in abusive conditions. Xmods are more durable I think, though, I only race my mini-Z on RCP track which is soft with foam walls, so, I've never broken my car by wrecking.
awesome. I intend to only do driving and do not plan to participate in any sort of races
Old 03-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Elite member

I saw the auction ended, did you end up winning it?