Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2009, 03:05 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Guess who's going to UTI!?

That's right. XMS's very own AJB32690 got accepted to Universal Technical Institute in Orlando. I'm taking the core Automotive class as well as the Ford FACT training. In about a year and a half I will be a Master Automotive Technician! I don't start classes till October 5th... I wish it were sooner, but I've got to save up some money so I can find my own place... Anyway, I went on a tour of the place on Thursday, and let me tell you guys, I thought my jaw was about to fall off, it was hanging open the whole time. Giant classrooms filled with tons of engines, classrooms filled with tons of performance engines, classrooms filled with brake systems, classrooms filled with electronics, classrooms filled what whatever car parts you could imagine, several garages, the biggest had about 30 cars in it. Three dynos (One was just an engine dyno) and loads of other fun things. I saw more turbos and superchargers than I had ever seen before. According to my guide, at one part during the course, there is actually a build-off between all the students in the class. (The class sizes are only about 25-30 people, sometimes less) You have to build an engine, stick it in an old t-bucket roadster and dyno test it. The student with the most HP/TQ wins. The FACT thing is pretty cool too. The class size is even smaller (Around 15 students) and it focuses mostly on some of the more complicated computer systems found on newer Fords and even high-end vehicles. The representative told me about one of the students that she knew (She only handles 1/8 of the students) graduated top 90% of his class in both the core classes and the FACT program and got hired on the spot by Mercedes and his starting wage was over $80,000! I can't wait to start! October is too far away!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Xmod Expert

Im going to MIT!!

Lol Joking, obviously im to stupid...

But hey congrats i know of UTI (obviously) its an awesome school (no duhhh)...

Im going to BCIT next year (prove your worth and tell me if youve heard of that?)...
Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Good luck, the auto industry is a battle zone right now. I thought about UTI and Wyo, but I'd rather enjoy working on cars, and not have to see it as a "job"

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-11-2009, 08:31 PM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Good luck, the auto industry is a battle zone right now. I thought about UTI and Wyo, but I'd rather enjoy working on cars, and not have to see it as a "job"

amen, plus your body will last longer
Old 04-11-2009, 09:22 PM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

good for you! sounds pretty fun there. does the winner like get to keep his/her engine and/or the car or something? sounds fun. i personally would prefer to be in the design industry if i worked with cars as a job, i'd like to do the hands-on work as a hobby instead. for some reason it's more fun if you don't get payed. of course, i'm not even sure about that. i'd prefer to work with either rockstar or criterion games. but that's another story. so good job getting in, hope you pass everything and work for gm, then you can revive the firebird and give me all the prototypes! muahahaha!
Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

Congrats AJB! You're a bright guy, should be cake for you.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Im going to MIT!!

Lol Joking, obviously im to stupid...

But hey congrats i know of UTI (obviously) its an awesome school (no duhhh)...

Im going to BCIT next year (prove your worth and tell me if youve heard of that?)...
Thanks. I can't say that I have.

Quote:
Yeah, I know what you mean, but I did take a long look at my interests and possibilities and I think this is the best suited career for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird999 View Post
good for you! sounds pretty fun there. does the winner like get to keep his/her engine and/or the car or something? sounds fun. i personally would prefer to be in the design industry if i worked with cars as a job, i'd like to do the hands-on work as a hobby instead. for some reason it's more fun if you don't get payed. of course, i'm not even sure about that. i'd prefer to work with either rockstar or criterion games. but that's another story. so good job getting in, hope you pass everything and work for gm, then you can revive the firebird and give me all the prototypes! muahahaha!
I don't know what the winner gets, she didn't mention. I thought about being an automotive engineer, but I decided against it because I would much rather work with my hands than paper. I don't like dwelling in the world of possibilities, I like here and now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_star View Post
Congrats AJB! You're a bright guy, should be cake for you.
Thanks.

I wish I could see some of the other campuses. Orlando is actually UTIs smallest campus, and its still huge!

Last edited by AJB32690; 04-12-2009 at 01:33 AM..
Old 04-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289

Good luck too. I might go there, but thats alot of money, and if they dont accept me, they still keep the money. Most people just call it UTI. I talked to a person from the that goes to schools teaching people about UTI, I was very interested in it, but thats alot of money that can be put to better use, and I can spend half that at the Ohio auto institut (sorry for got the name of it), they have a rock crwaling course, a very small town, and cheaper.

Its a good place, you'll get a job in sometie after you finish, but I'm sure you will be making more than $10. an hour. I have a friend that go there now.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboi1289 View Post
Good luck too. I might go there, but thats alot of money, and if they dont accept me, they still keep the money. Most people just call it UTI. I talked to a person from the that goes to schools teaching people about UTI, I was very interested in it, but thats alot of money that can be put to better use, and I can spend half that at the Ohio auto institut (sorry for got the name of it), they have a rock crwaling course, a very small town, and cheaper.

Its a good place, you'll get a job in sometie after you finish, but I'm sure you will be making more than $10. an hour. I have a friend that go there now.
Getting accepted is the easy part, lol. The rep that I talked to (The person who decides if you get accepted or not) loves me. I wowed her with every answer to the interview. I know tuition is a lot, but I have a plan, sorta. Tuition for core classes is $28,000. FACT included is $33,000. I'm going to get as many grants and scholarships as I can, and then get a loan to cover whatever fees I have left. There is no possible way that I would accept a job for $10/hour after graduating from UTI.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:48 PM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJB32690 View Post
Getting accepted is the easy part, lol. The rep that I talked to (The person who decides if you get accepted or not) loves me. I wowed her with every answer to the interview. I know tuition is a lot, but I have a plan, sorta. Tuition for core classes is $28,000. FACT included is $33,000. I'm going to get as many grants and scholarships as I can, and then get a loan to cover whatever fees I have left. There is no possible way that I would accept a job for $10/hour after graduating from UTI.
Thats not to bad. I paid at least that much putting my self through community college. But I did take out cost of living loans and change my major from graphic design over to automotive science.

After school most places pay flat rate started out around $14 per hour. so if you can flag 60 hours of work in 40 hours time you really come out ahead. The last dealer ship I worked for I was around $25, I make less per hour now but times are changing and I have a guaranteed salary.

The down side about flat rate is when times are slow you may only flag 20 hours in one week, very hard to make a living this way.

Last edited by jimmythekid1; 04-12-2009 at 01:52 PM..
Old 04-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Proud Supra owner!

Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via AIM to WhiteMKIV Send a message via MSN to WhiteMKIV Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteMKIV

I was actually going to attend in October aswell. Orlando is so expensive though and i have family issues to take care of. I have a few pics from when i went last summer to check it out. good luck

Did you talk to chris tarentino?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
that wasnt exactly a good first post....

but im flattered my tool box turns you on
Old 04-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythekid1 View Post
Thats not to bad. I paid at least that much putting my self through community college. But I did take out cost of living loans and change my major from graphic design over to automotive science.

After school most places pay flat rate started out around $14 per hour. so if you can flag 60 hours of work in 40 hours time you really come out ahead. The last dealer ship I worked for I was around $25, I make less per hour now but times are changing and I have a guaranteed salary.

The down side about flat rate is when times are slow you may only flag 20 hours in one week, very hard to make a living this way.
Good news is, if you find a solid shop or dealership, the service side has so far stayed pretty busy compared to the sales side. Unfortunatly, a lot of dealerships don't see it this way and continue keep service, "business as usual".

While the autoindustry can't sell a car, things are still breaking down. My dad, a nearly 30 year ASE Mastertech, works at a local Cadillac dealership. Despite the fact that sales are slow (for everyone), the service side of things keeps moving along and these guys are staying busy. But, when it comes to stupid dealership rules, they can't service cars that are over 10 years, or 100k miles (warranty basically). And many dealerships do this, even motorcycle dealerships. Where does the work go?

Independant shops. Now, I dunno how they do right now, but a friend of mine (owns the black GMC step side used to tow the CST10 home 2 years ago), his shop is still doing quite fine, a good indy shop seems to be resession proof right now, at least here int he houston area. Jimmy can vouch to how busy his stop stays.

Just with how things now, looking at a job with a dealership should be 2nd to an independant shop. In the next few years, were going to loose a lot of domestic dealerships in the process of trimming the fat. Especially under the government rule. On the dealership side, I can tell you it's a scary place to be employed right now. Hopefully in about a 2 years time when you get out, things will be on the growing side, but at this time, the dealerships are shrinking.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMKIV View Post
I was actually going to attend in October aswell. Orlando is so expensive though and i have family issues to take care of. I have a few pics from when i went last summer to check it out. good luck

Did you talk to chris tarentino?
Dude, do it anyway. It would be sweet if we were in class together! I didn't speak with Chris, but I did see him while I was there. My representative was Indrid Gomez.

Quote:
Good news is, if you find a solid shop or dealership, the service side has so far stayed pretty busy compared to the sales side. Unfortunatly, a lot of dealerships don't see it this way and continue keep service, "business as usual".

While the autoindustry can't sell a car, things are still breaking down. My dad, a nearly 30 year ASE Mastertech, works at a local Cadillac dealership. Despite the fact that sales are slow (for everyone), the service side of things keeps moving along and these guys are staying busy. But, when it comes to stupid dealership rules, they can't service cars that are over 10 years, or 100k miles (warranty basically). And many dealerships do this, even motorcycle dealerships. Where does the work go?

Independant shops. Now, I dunno how they do right now, but a friend of mine (owns the black GMC step side used to tow the CST10 home 2 years ago), his shop is still doing quite fine, a good indy shop seems to be resession proof right now, at least here int he houston area. Jimmy can vouch to how busy his stop stays.

Just with how things now, looking at a job with a dealership should be 2nd to an independant shop. In the next few years, were going to loose a lot of domestic dealerships in the process of trimming the fat. Especially under the government rule. On the dealership side, I can tell you it's a scary place to be employed right now. Hopefully in about a 2 years time when you get out, things will be on the growing side, but at this time, the dealerships are shrinking.
Yeah, hopefully things will be better in two years. I'm going to try to work at an independent shop, if I can find an up-scale one. If not, I will look for a dealership that is still on top of things and can go without making huge cuts. As long as there are cars, there will be technicians. I doubt we will have these service-free vehicles or repair robots anytime soon, so its not like techs will be obsolete in the near future.