Go Back   XmodSource.com > XMS > Beginner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (1)
Default Bearings

I can't really find OEM Radioshack steel bearings cuz they're defunct in Canada, so I'm going to be buying them online. 2 questions:

Since they're not radioshack, they probably won't have instructions. can anyone supply me with those, or an installation diagram? thanks.

Is it worth it to pay the extra for shielded bearings? I do get quite a bit of fuzz and dirt and hair twined with my rims, but not more than your average household.

edit: i lied, 3rd question: I lost the bushing for my right rear wheel (i have no idea how it flew out) so can I operate it right now or is that going to damage anything?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:42 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

First Question:
Installation is actually quite simple. You just swap out all of the stock plastic bushings with your upgraded metal (or ceramic) bearings. You need a total of twelve 6x10x2.5mm bearings for the rear differential (two), front different (two) and two for each wheel. You'll also need two 3x6x2mm bearings for the AWD shaft. Just make sure that when you order your bearings online you are receiving all fourteen bearings!
(If you are not running an AWD platform you will not need the two 3x6x2mm for the front drive-shaft and the two 6x10x2.5mm bearings for the front differential; however it is advised to purchase them now for future use if you decide to install AWD)

Second Question:
Some will say yes and some will say no. I run "open bearings" on my Xmods without any issues and I have the same type of surface debris (dog hair, dirt/grime, etc). With the proper care and maintenance every few runs your open bearings will last nearly as long as shielded bearings. Also, you shouldn't believe all the hype about shielded bearing, they perform their best when cleaned, lubed and maintained just liked open bearings.

Third Question:
I suppose you can, however you may notice a slight performance loss because your wheel will now want to angle one way or the other since the other bushing isn't helping keep it square. You may also notice a slight tug on that wheel since one bushing is now doing the work of two. You can run it, but I would just suggest keeping it to a minimum as well as safe driving. Once your bearings arrive though you should drive it like you stole it!

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

Funny thing, though, I ended up "splurging" for the shielded ones cause they were only 5 bucks more, and the fact that I had $15 on my paypal means I only paid $9, shipping included, for the shielded bearings.. good deal!

I definitely noticed the straight-line pull towards the bushing.

Also, lots of helpful information. Thanks a lot, kyle!

Last edited by asda653; 07-07-2009 at 03:52 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM
XMS Administrator

Well, geez, if they were that close in price, then good deal! I was thinking it would be more like a $15 to $20 price difference, not $5! Awesome find.

When they arrive and you still have questions on installation just ask.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:

Old 07-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Banned

Haven't received them (I chose flat-rate which'll take about a week) but I'm still a bit puzzled. I've been doing exploratory operation. So far I can only find 11 of the 12 bearing locations: inside and outside front axles (4) inside, outside, and nearest-motor (6) and the solo bearing at the front of the driveshaft (do I even need this one? it's rwd)

I feel like such a noob, but thanks for all the enlightenment.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Owner of a 1992 Accord.

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to youngxmodder Send a message via MSN to youngxmodder Send a message via Yahoo to youngxmodder

for the bearings there are 2 for each knuckle in the car so 4 in the front 4 in the back. then 2 for the differential closest to the motor**if running AWD there would be 2 in the front differential and one bearing on each end of the awd shaft behind the gears** all together with awd there are 14 places for the bearings if not running awd there are 10 places. Since your running RWD the places for the bearings needed are the 2 in each front knuckle the 2 in each rear knuckle and the 2 in the differential closest to the motor.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngxmodder View Post
for the bearings there are 2 for each knuckle in the car so 4 in the front 4 in the back. then 2 for the differential closest to the motor**if running AWD there would be 2 in the front differential and one bearing on each end of the awd shaft behind the gears** all together with awd there are 14 places for the bearings if not running awd there are 10 places. Since your running RWD the places for the bearings needed are the 2 in each front knuckle the 2 in each rear knuckle and the 2 in the differential closest to the motor.
Thanks a lot! That means I've found all of them. Confusing, cuz the guide at Atomicmods says RWD needs 12 and AWD needs 14, but I'm happy..
Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 PM
XMS Administrator

AtomicMods is correct. When running RWD only you do not need the two smallest bearings (3x6x2mm) on the drive shaft that runs from the rear differential to the front differential. When running AWD, however, you will need those two 3x6x2mm bearings.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection: