Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to mpevine11
Default were are the best place for speakers?

ok i bought a speaker system the other day and put it in the trunk.......is that a good place or is it better off to be somewere else?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to NoBack

well if you got yourself a sub or 2 then yeah, thats the correst place to put them.... facing the trunk itself will increase their loudness.... but if they're something like 6X9s in a box, then.... no. Take them out and mount them where your stock speakers currently are or were.... and don't put 6X9s in a box... it doesn't make them louder or more bassey (new word).

What kind of car do you have? What size speakers did you get? and also, I'd like to know what brand ^_^

...and by all of this I'm guessing you mean your actual car. lol
Old 03-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to minesskylineracer

if your looking 4 extra bass get 2 seperate boxes and point 1 2 the right or left and the other straight up or just get 1 sub if u had 2 the the second 1 overrides and lowers the bass from the extra woofer it has alot 2 do w/ sound waves and how bass is non directional but yeah the trunk is the right place or under the rear seat facing the front but there hard 2 mount there also u can try puting the speaker upside down on the box
Old 03-17-2005, 11:28 PM

if you've got a good quality sub and the proper amp to push it you're only gonna need one. A ported box will 9 times out of 10 make it louder if built to specs. If you want solid, punchy bass, get a sealed box. You can get a 2 chamber sealed box from any audio store, or build one yourself out of MDF. But try to get it as close as the manufacturer's specs as possible. try sitting in your car and point the subs in different directions to see what you like best. From my experience, they seem louder when pointed towards the back.

um... yeah, thats all for now till I know what you've got and the other components as well
Old 03-18-2005, 03:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikepevine

ya i need to get an amp hpw many chanels and how many watts shoud i get?

im me at m11px and e mail is [email protected]
Old 03-18-2005, 07:02 PM

well, how many subs do you have? What brand and model (ex- Alpine Type-S 12")?

If you mean interior speakers, what brand a model? You can't just mix any amp with any speakers. Let me know what you've got so I can help ya ^_^
Old 03-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBack
well, how many subs do you have? What brand and model (ex- Alpine Type-S 12")?

If you mean interior speakers, what brand a model? You can't just mix any amp with any speakers. Let me know what you've got so I can help ya ^_^
lol yeah u can unless u hav sensorless speaker but those r like 1000 dollar speakers and r spring driven instead of magnet just hook it up and try bridging it and try a crossover 2 make it louder it will say how 2 do this usually on the underside of the amp but never run 2 much power itll blow your speakers and never run an amp under your rms power itll blow the amp not quickly but it will
Old 03-19-2005, 02:54 AM

Quote:
lol yeah u can unless u hav sensorless speaker but those r like 1000 dollar speakers and r spring driven instead of magnet just hook it up and try bridging it and try a crossover 2 make it louder it will say how 2 do this usually on the underside of the amp but never run 2 much power itll blow your speakers and never run an amp under your rms power itll blow the amp not quickly but it will
wow, try punctuation? anyways

- You can't match up any amp to any sub. you could be overpowering/underpowering your sub. if you don't have the same resistance then you could blow your sub, only if the resistance you'vegot fron your amp is lower.... that's why you can't bridge it without checking the ohms on the speaker and what the amp produces.

-A crossover will not make a sub louder. A crossover just controls what frequencies the sub can play (ex under 80hz). By raising the hz on the crossover, you'll get higher pitches and there is a cutoff point wherever you set it to. You can usually set this from your headunit, but your amp might have more options. its all personal preference.

-You can run too much power to your sub and it will still be fine, as long as you're not hard clipping your amp (going past the max 'clean' power of your amp, gain all the way up). It's better to run too much where you're not overworking your amp, then running to little with the amp at max power. If you run too little and clip your amp then you'll probably be hearing distortion from your sub. Distortion=very bad. This will heat up the voice coils, causing them to weld themselves together and blow your sub.

As long as you're powering your subs enough and don't hear any distortion, then you'll be fine. You can, however, run less power than the subs rms rating and be perfectly fine.
Subs usually have a power range with a minimum power, optimum, and it'll say when its too much. I'm running my w3 with about 150 watts where 250-260 is optimum. There's no distortion at my listening levels which is what you try to strive for. My bf has the same thing going on... he's pushing only 500 to his w7, and 1000 is optimum. no distortion there, the amp won't blow up. Just be careful with what amp you push your subs with.... go with something that actually pushes what it says it pushes... not like the $50 1000w wal-mart amps that push maybe 200 rms. lmao, I can't get over how rediculous they are

I really wonder how sensorless speakers sound..... and can they compare to high end bostons or mb's
Old 03-19-2005, 05:29 AM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to torredo

Wow Noback!!
Never knew you had it in yah! cool!

This one is pretty much covered.....

If you see an amp or sub etc... In Wal-Mart
or so that claims an outstanding 1000 watts
for like 79.99. Chances are your getting 100
watts RMS power. LMAO!!!

To get this kind of power range you need to
spend alot of cash. For example my
Alpine Type R subs rated at 1000w are
270.00 Each in Canada. Then to power
these things are interesting too.

For a 10" Sub a good name brand to
match it would safice, Right?

Then you buy a 12" sub...Here
is the trick. You need to overpower
a sub this size or bigger as it takes
alot to push these suckers to their
limits. If you use an inadequite amp
for a big sub with big power rating
you are underpowering it and just
killing the amp making it work
harder than it should.

Now lets cover Sub Sonic Filter
My Alpine Type R subs are controlled
by a Cadence sub sonic filter inline
driver. On it you can control 1 of many
things. Db/Hz/Gain/Hi-Lo Freq/Subsonic.

This is where you can FEEL the bass smashing
you but cant hear it because it is below the
frequncy for which a human cannot hear it.
10 Hz example......lol

This stuff can get real technical the deeper
into hardware you get. Then consider what
you are running for cables. If you are running
a system as I am, then using 0 guage for
your main source is a must!!!

Also keep in mind that you should have
appropraite fuse blocks in the proper zones.

You should have a fuse block at:
6" away from the battery with proper Fuse
(Remember that if you are running more
than 1 amp to calculate it into the fuse rating)

6" away from each Amplifier

Heck, I even have a Fuse 12" away on the ground
30A aswell

If you run SERIOUS power also consider at least
a 1.0 Farad capacitor. If you dont know how to
install this piece ~Have a Pro do it~ because it
is litteraly a bomb if you cross the connections.
No bull****t'n!!!

Anyhow....Have fun! just try not to go deaf!
That is the big trick of all!

AIM: SavageW26
Old 03-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBack
Quote:
wow, try punctuation? anyways

- You can't match up any amp to any sub. you could be overpowering/underpowering your sub. if you don't have the same resistance then you could blow your sub, only if the resistance you'vegot fron your amp is lower.... that's why you can't bridge it without checking the ohms on the speaker and what the amp produces.

-A crossover will not make a sub louder. A crossover just controls what frequencies the sub can play (ex under 80hz). By raising the hz on the crossover, you'll get higher pitches and there is a cutoff point wherever you set it to. You can usually set this from your headunit, but your amp might have more options. its all personal preference.

-You can run too much power to your sub and it will still be fine, as long as you're not hard clipping your amp (going past the max 'clean' power of your amp, gain all the way up). It's better to run too much where you're not overworking your amp, then running to little with the amp at max power. If you run too little and clip your amp then you'll probably be hearing distortion from your sub. Distortion=very bad. This will heat up the voice coils, causing them to weld themselves together and blow your sub.

As long as you're powering your subs enough and don't hear any distortion, then you'll be fine. You can, however, run less power than the subs rms rating and be perfectly fine.
Subs usually have a power range with a minimum power, optimum, and it'll say when its too much. I'm running my w3 with about 150 watts where 250-260 is optimum. There's no distortion at my listening levels which is what you try to strive for. My bf has the same thing going on... he's pushing only 500 to his w7, and 1000 is optimum. no distortion there, the amp won't blow up. Just be careful with what amp you push your subs with.... go with something that actually pushes what it says it pushes... not like the $50 1000w wal-mart amps that push maybe 200 rms. lmao, I can't get over how rediculous they are

I really wonder how sensorless speakers sound..... and can they compare to high end bostons or mb's
i used 2 hav a set of sensorless speaker but i had 2 sell them because the amp was like 1500 dollars but my buddy has some and i used his amp 4 3 days and it busted my double ported box it blew the rear wall right off of it lol and if u hav a good quality amp it will usually hav an ohm setting on the front end and sumtimes the speaker lining will tear causing unwanted air release causing it 2 dry rot and blow your speaker so never run over your max plus it will sound like crap if u do and if its in an inclosed area dont use a ported box unless your trunk is fully dyno matted
Old 03-19-2005, 11:32 AM

way to explain it torredo. I like people to know that just because I'm a girl, I'm not as dumb as many I know my fair share of stuff.

I'd like to hear your system. My friend has either a 13 or 15 type R in his trunk but it didn't sound to impressive spl-wise. alpines are VERY clean subs but his didn't seem to get that loud. What else are you running?

anyways,
-if your speaker sorround tears you might as well just toss the thing cuz it'll rip even more with playing, unless you can get some epoxy to seal it with since thats what they use on speakers anyway

-make sure that if your subs require a sealed box, to put them in a sealed box. If its optional, then its up to you, just make sure you build it/buy it with the right airspace. Like I said earlier, a sealed box will produce more of a quick, punchy sound, whereas a ported box will sort of have a roll-off sound to it. not as tight, but it'll still sound good.

-dynamat is optional, depending on how soundproof your car is already. I'd say go to home depot and get the general stuff there cuz you'll be paying up your butt for dynamat.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to torredo

Unit: Panasonic CD
Amp 1: Cadence Z1000
Amp 2: Kenwood 300w (Mids)

Speakers front: Alpine 6" Mid drivers w/ flush tweeters (Comp)
Speakers rear: Alpine 6x9" 2-way (comp)

Subs: 2-12" Alpine Type-R in sealed enclosure

Inline driver: Cadence Subsonic filter

Cap: Lightning Audio 1.0 Farad

Gold Plated fuses at the proper zones
(60A Vamp/ x3-30A mains)

0 Guage Cable

I think I covered my system here....
And Im not sure why them one you heard werent impressive
because if done right 2 of those Type Rs will blow you away.
Trick with these is to OVERPOWER them and run LOW HZ.

Like I said previous:
Run low on the amp @ 50Hz
Run low on the subsonic: 10Hz

I am running 140db with this setup, and I wouldnt
go any further as this is heartstopping bass.

AIM: SavageW26
Old 03-19-2005, 05:39 PM

he was just running 1 and I'm not sure what model amp he was using (pretty sure it was an alpine also).

definately a good choice going with the alpine speakers and subs. Their products are very nice and clean compared to other mid-range brands. I still haven't heard the type-x's and I so totally want to.... the subs have a weird sorround design, but I guess it works... why else would they use it for their flagship models? :P

I'm currently running a 12W3V2 with a 2 channel eclipse... I think the 33230 model (something with a bunch of 2s and 3s in it)... it's 2 by 130 which works well to power the sub. The ported box was custom made to specs and I did my own carpeting job, lol.

I've also got an Alpine cda7894 cd/mp3 player. got an awesome deal on a floor model and wanted it basically for mp3 playback. Shortly after that, I picked up some boston fx6 6.5" coaxials for $100. I liked their sound over the type-s's that I listened to and both were in my ideal price range. I've got my stockers in back but I can barely hear them anyway since the music is faded towards the front.

It's a decent sounding system for me... better than a lot, but then again, not up to par with a lot. But it works. I haven't tested it to see what I hit but from listening to other spl systems, I can guess safely between 120-130. I don't think I'd be going with any more than what i've got..... I'm no audiophile, but I like my music to sound good :wink:
Old 05-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to mpevine11

this is a dumb question but what do amps do and how much $ for a good one?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:44 PM

amps are what power the subs, and all speakers for that matter.... without a source of power you wouldn't hear a thing.

a good car audio amp can cost anywhere from $150 to over $1000. Just because it says '2000 watts' doesn't mean that it puts out that much, or puts it out cleanly. you can find awesome deals on alpine, eclipse, and jl amps on ebay.