Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > Misc Electric
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)
Default what to get?

i want to step up from xmods and get somthing that can drive in my backyard. anything from 1:18 -1:10
i would like to get for about $200 and thats total ,like RTR,not after i buy the servo, motor, body, battery pack and controler. but any advice on what to get or where to go? everything (but spam) will be appricated. and if you give a example include specs or info about said rc.

Last edited by 65mustangrock; 09-22-2008 at 05:39 PM..
Old 09-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

ok i suggest the rc18t, 170$ then upgrade the motor or something small with the 30$

if you can afford a mini z get one, if not get a xmod

Last edited by mytitan; 09-22-2008 at 05:40 PM..
Old 09-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Elite member

200-170=30 not 20 but math is a stupid subject anyways so dont worry about it. but ill look into the rc18t. going to make a list and then search em to see which i think is the best for me
Old 09-22-2008, 05:34 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

What do you mean by "backyard"? In my opinion a backyard consists of grass and maybe some patio bricks. An RC18 (1:18th) may be able to handle something like that, but certainly not as easy as any 1:10th. Many 1:18th's do not have the ground clerance and wheel spin to keep them up to a good speed that would be enjoyable. For you to fully enjoy an '18th you'll need concrete or dirt (in my opinion).

Once I know your definetion of "backyard" I'll be able to expand further with my opinions.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Elite member

you are correct donzii. just grass and dirt. i dont know anything about this so i guess i would count as a noob to this stuff.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Advance member

how could i mess that math up lol, im editing that out lol,

if you want to run in grass, get a stampede xl5, i think there in that range, if not get the original xl1 stampede, but even my 1/10 rustler can hardly go in grass lol, but the stampede does realy good in grass, theres 2 in my family lol.

Last edited by mytitan; 09-22-2008 at 05:43 PM..
Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Freedom Provider

Send a message via Yahoo to XmodzICON82

i have a team associated rc18 rtr. i absolutely love it, it's awd and is pretty fast just stock until i get upgraded parts...i bought some offroad wheels which i believe go to a traxxas or something to the sort but will fit on my rc18....i can't put the car body back on but i can go through grass pretty much like it's nothing....i got the car for 192 after taxes at my lhs....you can find them at atomicmods...i included a url for the one i have, i love mine but your opinion on what you like is different from mine or any others....http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/A...TR__13881.aspx...you can also find upgrades for the car on atomicmods or go to a hobby town usa they should have upgrades for it....
Old 09-22-2008, 05:54 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65mustangrock View Post
you are correct donzii. just grass and dirt. i dont know anything about this so i guess i would count as a noob to this stuff.
Everyone's a noob to something, bro. With the correct information and a bit of patience you'll get far quickly.

Alright... down to business...

Obviously the 1:18th's are going to be less expensive than the 1:10th's. They're less expensive to manufacture making their MSRP a heck of a lot lower than 1:10th's. However, they're certainly not as versitile as the 1:10th's. Through my experience with my RC18MT I find it hard to run on anything but concrete, asphalt and compacted dirt. Since they weigh very little they like to "float" ontop of the grass rather than "sink" and hold a grip; this causes them to be a little less controllable and not as quick as a 1:10th would be.

A few figures to look at and ponder:
RTR: Team Associated RC18MT: $159.99 via TowerHobbies.com.
This comes with everything needed to run. Battery, charger, controller (TX) and the chassis with a motor, ESC and RX (receiver).

RTR: Traxxas Stampede XL5: $144.99 via TowerHobbies.com.
This comes with the RTR chassis and TX. RTR chassis includes a Titan 12T motor, XL5 ESC and Receiver. You would still need to buy a battery ($20-$100) and a charger ($15-$***). However, TowerHobbies does offer a "Ultimate Combo" for $182.97 which includes the RTR kit, NiCD battery and AC/DC charger.

So, for $27 more, you can get something that's 1:10th in size and something that will run a little bit easier on your surfaces. But, you must take into account the size difference; and trust me, there is a considerable size difference between the two.

For your application I would advice a 1:10th scale over a 1:18th scale. Your driving experience would be like night and day; '18's probably too small for all grass running.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 09-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Elite member

wow... thanks donzii i'll look into that. kinda new to any thing bigger then a xmod but ur right a little goes a long way. i will find and compare and consider my options. thanks again donzii
Old 09-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Advance member

yep, thats a awsome truck, and its eay for brginners, and still good for experienced drivers. btw dont get the ultimate combo nicd stinks lol