Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)
Exclamation The BIG 50 mph. and the best way to get there?

ok, so i just got my first xmod (gen1 black skyline) and im really excited about getting to work modding it. and maybe im getting a little ahead of myself but i would like to hit the 50 mph mark with it. and it seems like the best/eastest/cheepest way to do this is by getting
1. 2 lith ions (obviously)
2. team losi or mabachi 280 motor
3. 2x4 stacked fet's or a v2.2 board

and this is what i plan on getting, but if anyone has a batter/easyer/cheeper way of doing this can you please tell me?

also i have been told that with that big of an motor, stacking fets is not going to cut it and that i need an v2.2 board. can anyone verify this, or will stacking 2x4 fets work just fine?
Old 03-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned

well of couseu will need all rs parts, a cf drive shaft from atomic mods, 2x4 or a power management board. but i would use lithpoly's cuz thay lighter and discharge better also better COG. also get like a plasmatonic or x2 light speed cuz they are the best besides a brushless and brush less is not the way to go on a xmod.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to pittbull988

ur not gunna need to upgrade ur fets if u get the v2.2 but ur definatly gunna need alloy parts ex. the whole rear driveline and front axles if ur going 4wd which i also recommend..um alloy nuts...upgrade ur wires..and if u go poly be careful they are more tempermental that liths
Old 03-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Stage 1 member

Ok thanks guys
does anyone have a suggestion on what motor I should use? because if I don’t need to use a 280 I would rather not (they are hard to mount) but I would still like something that is just as fast/powerful.
also I have been told that stacked FETS are not as stable as a v2.2 and that many people have had problems with juttering and other problems as a resalt of using them. Is this ture? because if this is I will use a v2.2, I just don’t want to spend $50 on one. I would rather spend 15 on some FETS.

Last edited by Gatecrasher; 03-23-2006 at 01:06 PM..
Old 03-24-2006, 12:57 AM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to pittbull988

i would go with the x-2 light speed motor i think its called something like that..
Old 03-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Banned

yeah the x2 is a good choice u might want to try this too.
http://teammnm.net/product_info.php/...5fb3a3d45832b5 but it might brn up pretty easy
Old 03-24-2006, 01:19 AM
Banned

wait you this 1 is better it said 60+ mph!
http://teammnm.net/product_info.php/...5fb3a3d45832b5
Old 03-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Banned

I personally think u set yur standard on how fast u want it to go. but if u want it that way. I think its great
Old 03-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Stage 1 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1212
I personally think u set yur standard on how fast u want it to go. but if u want it that way. I think its great
your right man, and I think I was asking the wrong question. what i should have been asking was "the best way to get a high top speed + performance" because if i cant turn this thing then its not going to be any fun. what i would like is a really nice top speed, and have the ability to corner (it’s a silly question because its what everyone is trying to achieve). also something thats not going to break the bank. the reason i was suggesting the 280 was because i can get one for $10, and motors like the Silver Bullet cost $55 and that’s what I was trying to get the total to be, not just the motor.
I guess something I should be looking into is 2 lith ion cells, stacking my own fets (save some money) and I guess a 180 motor.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:43 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

a decent amount of speed won't take too much money. (50mph is way too much for 1/28 scale anyhow).

if you can stack your own FETs, all the better; if possible, stack 3x2. then use li-poly instead of li-ion, and build yourself a plasmatomic.

so, totals:

FETs -- probably about $20, depends on vendor.
li-poly -- $10 a cell, you need two.
plasmatomic -- $25 plus shipping.
gpm rear cupjoints -- $7 or so.
hard front tires, soft rears (from mini-z application) -- $5.

it's feasible, if you gear it down, you'll hit 35mph with plenty of punch, and you shouldn't be stressing the li-polies too much (you would definitely stress li-ions though).

and if less than 35mph is okay with you, get yourself a slower motor, like a hyper dash 2 ($4), and put that into the atomic bb motor can. 20-something-mph is a good speed for outdoor racing, the car should remain controllable.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Stage 1 member

can you use li-poly on a gen1?