Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Never said the first-fit pix were the final ones
Old 05-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Modifier

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Update w/ plenty of pix of the adjustable goodies. This weekend I'll make stickers w/ duracell/orion, ko propo, and GPM logos for the front door area.

Work flawlessly and this is probably the only 20$ an xmod REALLY needs besides a good radio.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:22 PM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

wow... :-D

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 05-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Xmod Expert

AND bearings.

Great looking xmod you got there, can't wait too see more!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Ride By Day Race By Night

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to bigez

yes this is a very nice xmods build you are doing a nice job
i am waching this and keep it up love your work

NOTHING BUT THE BEST

I AM A PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MAGNUSON RACING
Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Modifier

Drives 2-3x as smooth though no REAL way to tell until I visit RCP location again. I'll assume and hope it'll be very smooth with lil hopping due to xmod wheels. I MAY just mod the shafts to take Z wheels one I get my iwaver silver advans for MA(and MR heheh).

I can't stress enough how big of a performance leap the 2.4 board alone makes; so instead of lipos, alum chassis, too many GPM parts, you guys outta upgrade the boards first. If not 2.4 Z, then at LEAST the AM given TXes are cheap.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:48 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

mini-z board is the No. 1 performance enhancement is what you're saying right?
i agree with that. though, not averyone can spend all of that at once.
some have to settle for less-than-stellar electronics because an electronics swap is out of the question for them, either due to lack of soldering experience or funds.

but if you got enough money, by all means, do this before all else if you're looking for performance.

skv, i salute your xmod
Old 05-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Modifier

AM boards are 10-30$ at most and Kyosho TXes are 10-15$. Now, people without soldering experience can go my route and do everything without really soldering much (just solder the battery wires off of the Xmod board, which is not that hard. Worst comes to worst, cut em and strip a little bit of wire).

Lets do our math- 45$ for a pretty stellar radio. Cost of GPM parts besides knuckles and driveshafts? More than 45. Cost of LiPos with charger? More than 45$. Kyosho ASC body? 30-50. I see numerous members get any combos of these items which all run more than the radio upgrade no matter how you look at it.

Now I just happened to get a lucky haul w/ a 2.4 board, but I never said 2.4 is an absolute must. Its the best, but Z AM is still ten times better than that of a Xmod.

All that aside, I installed AWD gears, shaft, 2 spare Z bearings on the shaft and swapped shafts from the rear to the front. Civic is now 95% complete save manufacturer "decals" I'll add tomora/sat on the doors.

I have 0 issues w/ front knuckle and driveshaft mix, so either I got a lucky set or these are just good. Got a tiny bit of jitter in the servo, but slapped everything into place and its pretty solid.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)

This is great.About time someone did this.
Any chance of a picture or two of how you managed to get the pot in there?
Really interested in seeing that.if not don't worry.

I agree that the z board mod is 10 times better than the standard board.I have done it,but to be honest,I still drive the xmod boarded ones more!
I found the best thing I ever did to my xmods to improve them was not to the cars,but to the TX.
The TX is the single biggest problem with xmods.I've had close to 20 xmod TX's over the last couple of years and I do not think that any 2 of them have behaved the same.
All I did was to clean off the grease on the wiper boards and replace it with good quality dielectric compound.Now I have relible TX's that don't glitch.

But you are right though,can't beat doing the mini-z board mod.At least then you can run against other z's without getting your TX signal wiped out!
Also with the GPM and good bearings it has the ability to give a z a run for it's money,and it'll be tougher.
Also you'll have the satisfaction that you MADE it a great racer,instead of buying it ready to run great racer.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
At least then you can run against other z's without getting your TX signal wiped out!
Also with the GPM and good bearings it has the ability to give a z a run for it's money,and it'll be tougher.
Also you'll have the satisfaction that you MADE it a great racer,instead of buying it ready to run great racer.
Hows this(somewhat hypothetically)- you get this 210 gram civic w/ current upgrades(say stage 2 motor and Orions vs duracells) and I get my 170 gram MR15 and we race. If even for a second you think this civic could win, you're gravely wrong.

So I'll never stop saying the #1 moral of this story- if you HAVE the $ for a better RC, get it. Any homebrew mocks or general experiments will never surpass a superior platform, especially after hop ups.

Otherwise thanks for the comments and taking the time to read through. Stickers coming on tonight.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

this is where your wrong and half the guys are wrong.The xmods are built to be AWD so you race them with MA-010 not MR-02 MR-15.It's like me racing my 2 wheel drive on road with the pinon right on the big gear and race a AWD buggy .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
Hows this(somewhat hypothetically)- you get this 210 gram civic w/ current upgrades(say stage 2 motor and Orions vs duracells) and I get my 170 gram MR15 and we race. If even for a second you think this civic could win, you're gravely wrong.

So I'll never stop saying the #1 moral of this story- if you HAVE the $ for a better RC, get it. Any homebrew mocks or general experiments will never surpass a superior platform, especially after hop ups.

Otherwise thanks for the comments and taking the time to read through. Stickers coming on tonight.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Modifier

Except Xmods were intended as both drives and share features of both MR02 and MA designs, so as far as I'm concerned its a fair game to pit them against either. I wouldn't pit Evo against 15, but gen 1 is a fair game.

Evo against MA- MA would need all wide rims to come to a fair testing grounds since XMs always have wides. Against MR, like I said, weight would be key.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:02 PM
drifter and engineer

weight weight weight...
a lot fo racing all comes down to weight: total, distribution, cg, inertia...
mini-z has better weight management.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Elite member

how can you say that.....The MR-02 & MR-15 has 2 gears when the xmod has 4 for 2 wheel drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
Except Xmods were intended as both drives and share features of both MR02 and MA designs, so as far as I'm concerned its a fair game to pit them against either. I wouldn't pit Evo against 15, but gen 1 is a fair game.

Evo against MA- MA would need all wide rims to come to a fair testing grounds since XMs always have wides. Against MR, like I said, weight would be key.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (6)

You should make it FWD for it to be an official Civic xD.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:29 PM
製作者

Trader Rating: (0)

Can you buy mini z elelctronics separatly?Or do you have to buy the whole thing?
Old 05-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-z drift View Post
You should make it FWD for it to be an official Civic xD.
My bad, when I said I installed AWD gears I meant that I made it FWD w/ the kit, so it is and works just fine in this config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead14 View Post
Can you buy mini z elelctronics separatly?Or do you have to buy the whole thing?
Yes but price reflects new, retail product so you're better off getting a used ready set and selling the Z if you really dont want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco72 View Post
how can you say that.....The MR-02 & MR-15 has 2 gears when the xmod has 4 for 2 wheel drive.
I don't know man, maybe because they share a battery layout and thats a pretty big design element? And comparison to MA is obvious. Also, RWD MA drives just as good as MR; it is also much lighter than RWD xmod, so it would still have the upper hand.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to merc3des

I really love this car, and the performance it is capable of.

I think we need to stop stressing the difference between and Xmod, and a Mini-z, you get what you pay for, and if you want the better platform, go Z.

Xmods is a lot of DIY, Mini-z is not. Xmods isn't competitive, Mini-z is. They're different cars, that share a scale, its about time we stopped arguing.

I bet you someone can build an Xmod that is race-worthy against a Z, it may take a lot of money, but its possible..

As to say Xmods are bad, its not true, they serve a different purpose. A higher quality RC doesn't mean a higher quality community, if everyone in this community bought a mini-z, there would be a lot of possibility, and the DIY aspect of Xmods would definitely give our Zs an edge.

Stop the arguing. There it is, plain.and.simple ^

Great car by the way But I'm not sure about your whole perspective of that the only way your Xmod is useful, is if it has a Mini-Z board in it...

Mercedes Track Car v2 (50% finished) :
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18360

Comeback Supra Project (trust me tune in):
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20546

Last edited by merc3des; 05-17-2009 at 11:50 AM..
Old 05-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Modifier

Any better board in it. Merc, remember that almost ANY radio TX upgrade can be worth a million others and stock XM boards don't even allow that much.

Also merc, Xmods have higher quanity community and thats sadly true. IMO their purpose is to attract states-bound newbies and teach em the ropes. After that they'll realize that there are MUCH better RCs right around the corner and ditch xmods if $ allows. That happened to me and thus I pay some respect to my Xmod, but I'll never say they're better or more fun in any way.

And lastly, yes- you can make ANYTHING better than competition w/ money, but is it REALLY worth doing?
Old 05-17-2009, 02:06 PM
drifter and engineer

really what i think xmods are: it's an introduction to higher level rc.
they're still awfully fun