Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed
Default Detachable Steering Wheels?

Well, CRX are quite easy to steal, so I've been looking into buying a detachable steering wheel. I will bring it around at school with me all day or wide it somewere in the car (under the spare tire or under a seat). But anyone know of a place that sells OEM/JDM style wheels that are detachable (easily)??
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 01-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Proud Supra owner!

Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via AIM to WhiteMKIV Send a message via MSN to WhiteMKIV Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteMKIV

www.ebay.com lol you can probably find then there
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
that wasnt exactly a good first post....

but im flattered my tool box turns you on
Old 01-09-2008, 07:58 PM
SPR

yeah ebay they are dirt cheap for detachable hubs...

but fyi, thats about the worst meathod of anti theft. any wheel will just snap right on to it. so its not really any much harder, you need to get creative and start adding kill switches in hiden locations or pulling fuses or something so your car wont start.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Forum Idiot

Quote:
but fyi, thats about the worst meathod of anti theft. any wheel will just snap right on to it. so its not really any much harder, you need to get creative and start adding kill switches in hiden locations or pulling fuses or something so your car wont start.
I know it's not the best, but it let's me get in the car easier as well. Otherwise it's this thing were i put my right leg in and kinda slide in..

I'm gonna do a few kill switches, I just don't know were/how, and I want the wiring cleaned up first.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to redrkt Send a message via MSN to redrkt Send a message via Yahoo to redrkt

Quote:
yeah ebay they are dirt cheap for detachable hubs...

have you ever tried putting a stock steering wheel on a race car?

they use splined hubs that mate with a special connector that snaps in place.
it is not just a matter of putting another steering wheel on the shaft.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 AM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrkt View Post

they use splined hubs that mate with a special connector that snaps in place.
it is not just a matter of putting another steering wheel on the shaft.
all detachable hubs are set up about the same. basically any sparco, momo, apc, etc steering wheel will fit on the hub. so if he takes his off and walks away, any moron car jacker with a sparco wheel and pop his car open, slap the wheel on and take off just as easy as before.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Stage 2 member

Quote:
it might just be me... but i dont think his CRX has a splinted race car steering hub... i doubt that its even a race car at all... well besides stop light drags...

TwitchyVirus
Old 01-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to redrkt Send a message via MSN to redrkt Send a message via Yahoo to redrkt

Quote:
all detachable hubs are set up about the same. basically any sparco, momo, apc, etc steering wheel will fit on the hub. so if he takes his off and walks away, any moron car jacker with a sparco wheel and pop his car open, slap the wheel on and take off just as easy as before.
yeah and every car thief carries a specially modified racing wheel on the off chance that the car he is going to randomly steal has a splined steering column.
AND has the snap lock collar on it.

And just an FYI you don't get a mounting collar when you buy the steering wheel you get it with the column mounting setup and the wheel is bolted to the splined collar.

Besides we are talking about a CRX here.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:58 AM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

paint the car tye-dye. that should deter any theif.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Forum Idiot

Quote:
yeah and every car thief carries a specially modified racing wheel on the off chance that the car he is going to randomly steal has a splined steering column.
My point exactly. Throw in a kill switch and it's done. I'll catch them before that..
Old 01-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (12)

Just get an alarm dude. I have an alarm on my Si and Houston is bad for stolen si's. Mine hasn't been touched.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Forum Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic_guy View Post
Just get an alarm dude. I have an alarm on my Si and Houston is bad for stolen si's. Mine hasn't been touched.
Like it hasn't been stolen but it's gone off or what?
I'm going the little flashing red LED...

But the steering wheel makes it easier to get in the car. For those that are like 6'4" and sat in a Honda, it takes some figuring out on getting in without killing your knees.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:18 PM
SPR

Quote:

And just an FYI you don't get a mounting collar when you buy the steering wheel you get it with the column mounting setup and the wheel is bolted to the splined collar.

Besides we are talking about a CRX here.
okay were talking about a detachable hub for a steering wheel for a CRX!. NOT a race car!!! detachable hubs bolt right to the stock steering columb, the $20 ebay special wheel snaps into the detachable hub. the hubs are like what 50 bucks on ebay.

you'd be suprised the tools a car jacker has, a $20 steering wheel isnt exactly the hardest thing to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic_guy View Post
alarms dont do **** lol. specialyl when they can be disabled in less than 10 seconds, you better hope your in hearing distance for that 10 seconds. your car hasnt been stolen because of luck, not that alarm.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Forum Idiot

Quote:
alarms dont do **** lol. specialyl when they can be disabled in less than 10 seconds, you better hope your in hearing distance for that 10 seconds. your car hasnt been stolen because of luck, not that alarm.
Considering it's parked in the 'crappy' neighborhoods, I don't think an alarm will do much (unless it's a police siren)..

Any other ways to make a car harder to steal?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:15 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Best thing to do is put a kill switch behind on of those button covers on your dash - you know the ones where you only get the button when you buy the top of the line model....

Pull the cover off fit it onto a push button kill switch put it back in place minus and bingo instant kill switch.

Car thieves will never find it.

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (12)

Quote:
Alarms are a great deterrant. If the theif wants your **** THAT bad he'll take it. In Houston I know a guy who has had his car stolen from his garage. I've also witnessed a stripped Si in our school parking lot. If theives can take it...they'll strip it.

There is nothing you can do to keep theives from taking your car. NOTHING. There's a way around every single anti-theft device. Lowjack, Alarm, Killswitch, removable steeringwheel or a locked steering wheel. Don't forget, theives don't just take the car...some just leave it where it is and strip it down to the frame.

That being said alarms are a great deterent. Why? because MOST theives are lazy (hence why they steal instead of work like everyone else) so all you're really doing is making it harder for them and alarms do that best for the amount of monet you spend.

Just get yourself an alarm that will cut power to the motor if its set off. Mine has that flashing red light when the alarm is activated and its treated me well.

There's no luck involved. My car hasn't gotten stolen because its not easy to steal. 90% of Hondas stolen in Houston don't have alarms. Alarms and other anti-theft devices are merely deterants, they make it harder and not worth stealing or stripping the car.

Sweed; a removable steering wheel may seem like a geat idea but honestly, it'll just atract more attention to your car. Plus you have to think about your car being stripped...not just stolen. An Alarm makes it hard for them to strip AND steal. Alarms these days are harder to disengage. When you're at your house park it in the garage. If you're really paranoid get Lowjack.

Hell go to your local police and find out what they reccomend...they can probly tell you what characteristics of commonly stolen cars are (ie no alarm, make and model, etc).
Old 01-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via AIM to xmodificationer Send a message via Yahoo to xmodificationer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
Best thing to do is put a kill switch behind on of those button covers on your dash - you know the ones where you only get the button when you buy the top of the line model....

Pull the cover off fit it onto a push button kill switch put it back in place minus and bingo instant kill switch.

not unless they read that post
Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 PM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post

but then they could so easily hit it by accident. i'd say do this:
behind the glove compartment of most cars (reach under and up) is a little area with nothing but metal and plastic around the edges. put the switch there. or you can have a code on the door handle, but rig it so that if more than 5 false attempts are made to activate it, it squirts ink then notifies the police.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

An aftermarket alarm is pretty useless, very rarely are they good. Sadly the most effective I have ever seen was in my mom's Saturn. Since it was integrated in OEM, unless the car was started with the coded key, the alarm won't ever reset unless the battery is disconnected for something like 2 hours, kills the ECU, and locked the radio. Doubt a thief has time to wait.. 90% of people simply ignore alarms anyways...

Kill switches, plain and simple. As SPR said, the steering wheels you find Sweed, are pretty universal. Tilt your column up when you get out, so it's easier to get in. Or get a truck.

One trick, is to wire a series of kill switches, that have to be in a certain combo to start the car. A fuel cut-off is another good way.

My plan... replace an OE switch as a kill switch, and take the column shifter with me.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 01-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Forum Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
One trick, is to wire a series of kill switches, that have to be in a certain combo to start the car. A fuel cut-off is another good way.

My plan... replace an OE switch as a kill switch, and take the column shifter with me.
The problem is I have memory lapses (been off Caffine and I have insomnia..) so I'll forget unless I right it down or something...

I'm just wondering were to put the switches...
-- One for Battery Power
-- One for the Fuel Pump
-- One for Starter
-- One for all of the above
-- One fake one...

What's a OE Switch (exuse my english)?