Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Got my track built

Finally got all the foam mats i needed from Harbor freight ( 6 packs ) to build my track . Heres how it looks.

Its soooooo much better then driving on an uneven garage floor. I love this track.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 PM
dirtlover/moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

great to see...nice job...told you that was a good cheap way to go...congrats1

cleaning out my garage this weekend...so i can try to do the same thing LOL

Team X.I.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Stage 1 member

Thanks floyd.... I never would have thought about going to HF for the mats
Now if only I can get some people over to race. The scion is sick on this track, ill get a vid of it later.

I'm moving at the end of the month, and its got a 1 car garage ( which sucks) but I will see whar kind of track I can come up with.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 AM
dirtlover/moderator

at least its a quick assemble/disassemble when necessary...

i hunted a long time for something affordable...and stumbled on those at a HF sale...FYI they are 7.99 at our HF's for the month of FEB...might have to grab a couple more packs...i would like to be able to completely cover our 2 1/4 car garage LOL...

what did you do for the inside rails?...are they the edge picecs zip tied flat?...looks like a nice and clean set-up...i like the wider corners as well... is that working better for your driving/drifting?...i would hope it leads to less rubbing on the walls and better contollability...

i still think this next time i set it up i want to do 2 tile wide straights and maybe 3 tile wide corners...i'd like to get a few cars going at the same time without too many collisions...

i'd also like to try and mimic the mini z track set-ups i see on MZR...for HFAY races...i think?...or something similar would be cool...then you could start comparing race times to other people...

you have definitely inspired me

Team X.I.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Stage 1 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydfanYodaman View Post
at least its a quick assemble/disassemble when necessary...

i hunted a long time for something affordable...and stumbled on those at a HF sale...FYI they are 7.99 at our HF's for the month of FEB...might have to grab a couple more packs...i would like to be able to completely cover our 2 1/4 car garage LOL...

what did you do for the inside rails?...are they the edge picecs zip tied flat?...looks like a nice and clean set-up...i like the wider corners as well... is that working better for your driving/drifting?...i would hope it leads to less rubbing on the walls and better contollability...

i still think this next time i set it up i want to do 2 tile wide straights and maybe 3 tile wide corners...i'd like to get a few cars going at the same time without too many collisions...

i'd also like to try and mimic the mini z track set-ups i see on MZR...for HFAY races...i think?...or something similar would be cool...then you could start comparing race times to other people...

you have definitely inspired me
At my HF they where the same price, but I got 3 more packs yesterday and the price jumped up to $9.99. Still better then reg price though ($14.99).

2 1/4 car garage, thats alot of track , If I was not moving I would have my whole 2 car garage covered

Yes the inside rails are to edge pieces, One is tied to the track and the other is just connected to the tied one. You can zip tie it, I used thick string, so I can untie it and not have to cut it ( crab trap string to be exact). I think I may do the same to the outside rail s aswell.

HFAY has some nice track setups. I was looking at them before I put mine together ( for Ideas). But I didnt have enough mats to do them. I think that is a great idea to compare times. It would be a race, but without all the traffic.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 PM

nice track! I'm about to get one setup too
Old 02-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Stage 1 member

Coo. I spent about $65 for mine.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 PM

Do the HF mats have a smooth surface? I was looking at a four-pack mat on HF's website today...hard to see the surface but one side looked textured. I bought Golds Gym mats at WalFart a few years back and now I want more mats...WF doesn't stock the GG mats anymore and they were pricey at 18 bucks for a six pack.

I'm hoping the HF mats are the same thickness...

Thanks for any input!

MM
Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 PM
dirtlover/moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
Do the HF mats have a smooth surface? I was looking at a four-pack mat on HF's website today...hard to see the surface but one side looked textured. I bought Golds Gym mats at WalFart a few years back and now I want more mats...WF doesn't stock the GG mats anymore and they were pricey at 18 bucks for a six pack.

Thanks for any input!

MM
sometimes different makers mats dont mesh correctly at their teeth...sometimes the textured sides are different...HF mats have a smooth and a textured side...good for drifting...kinda...smooth for grip...

if it was me i'd take the wally world mats and use them in your garage to stand on...maybe to race ...but for an affordable starter track start fresh with HF mats...get them when you can...as you can...ON SALE...a pack or two at a time...and you'll get there

good luck...have fun...get creative...

Team X.I.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Stage 1 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post

Thanks for any input!

MM
HF mats is ridged on one side but smooth on the other, I use the smooth side. I can drift my AWD lancer with rubber slick tires, RS stage 2 motor and the green 9 tooth gear. I was doing it last night. I will have to get a vid of that as well.

But you better hurry on getting the mats from HF, I think the sale ends in a couple of weeks ( not for sure, but my HF sale ends by the end of Feb.).
Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 PM
dirtlover/moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FasImp View Post
HF mats is ridged on one side but smooth on the other, I use the smooth side. I can drift my AWD lancer with rubber slick tires, RS stage 2 motor and the green 9 tooth gear. I was doing it last night. I will have to get a vid of that as well.

But you better hurry on getting the mats from HF, I think the sale ends in a couple of weeks ( not for sure, but my HF sale ends by the end of Feb.).
i think the sale ends at the end of the month...or at least this one does...

also helps to have the coupon(s) from the HF flyer...to make sure you get the cheapest proce...$7.99 with coupon atm...reg sale is $9.99 i think...and i think reg price no sale is like $14.99...

also they are 4 pieces to a pack...2x2 tiles...4 x 4 per pack...so 16 sq feet...just an fyi to compare things...

Team X.I.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Stage 1 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydfanYodaman View Post
i think the sale ends at the end of the month...or at least this one does...

also helps to have the coupon(s) from the HF flyer...to make sure you get the cheapest proce...$7.99 with coupon atm...reg sale is $9.99 i think...and i think reg price no sale is like $14.99...

also they are 4 pieces to a pack...2x2 tiles...4 x 4 per pack...so 16 sq feet...just an fyi to compare things...
If I'm correct I think the exact date is 2/27, then they will be $14.99 each. And yes make sure u have coupons. The last 3 packs I bought the price was 9.99 each. I spent a total of $33 for those 3 packs.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Thanks for all information! everyone! Much obliged!

I ended up finding more Golds Gym mats at a WalMart close to where I work so I picked some up. The closest HF was too far for me to get there during the week at lunch and much too far from home to make it worth it.

So yeah, paid a little more but at least I can finish my track and enjoy some basement driving until the snow and slop gives way to spring...which may be June up here in Wisconsin

Best regards!

MM
Old 04-06-2012, 08:22 PM
dirtlover/moderator

not to be a thread bumper...but anyone interested in HF foa mats....whether for tracks or for your garage...are on sale for $6.99 at our store...just a heads up...

Team X.I.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Stage 1 member

MM, where r u from in wisc?