Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Appearance > Member XMOD RC Garages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Drift maniac

Trader Rating: (7)
Default WhiteCharisma's Garage

tayyab wanted me to post this i think. i did this on another forum about a month ago. it was a comparison between a gen 1 converted with a micro-t board (xmod-t) and an evo car with an iwaver board (x-waver). this is pretty much a reference for watever way you wana go with hobby grade stuff.

i thought i'd try to make a front bevel one more time for my lancer. this time i took my time and i did A LOT of cutting to make it fit just right. it took longer than it should have, almost 2 hrs lol but it gave my Gen 1 Xmod-t car AWD and im really happy with it. Now i have 2 xmod touring cars because i found out how to make my X-waver work better on the track. here are the final specs of each car, these cars are 100% DONE!
EVO Subaru Impreza STI:
I-waver board with 4562 FETs
I-waver servo motor
new Potentiometer
S1 motor
AWD GPM drivetrain except the Rear diff.(stock) and front diff is locked to work properly without slipping
Shielded bearings
Lowering arms
GPM front knuckles
Red springs all around
Black NSX rims with soft slicks in front and hard treaded in rear(thats what fixed the track problem)
4.5 degree tie rod (helped the track problem)
wheel shims

Gen 1 car Lancer Evo 8:
Micro T board
Micro T servo
stock 2x2 FET (i think.....)
AWD GPM drivetrain
GPM tie rod
XI adjustable strut bars
Mini-z AWD rims (0 offset narrow in front, 0 offset wide in rear)
PN racing rcp slick 15 degree in front, GPM A tread Wide 25 degree tires in rear
stock silver springs
Custom Lowered battery cases
chassis has all drooping parts cut off
S1 motor
Shielded bearings

now has AWD

i couldn't be happier with the result of these 2 cars

And now the comparison of these 2 cars

STI vs EVO
Alright, ive been driving these two cars a lot lately to see which one is better, an EVO hobby grade or Gen 1 hobby grade. Dont start a flame war, this is just my opinion, these are both great cars and i love them. Here are some pics before the comparison

notice the front wheels. the impreza's wheel looks turned more because of the tie rod but.....

the inside wheel isnt turned as much. the lancer's inside wheel is turned more than the outside.

And just to show, how low the Gen 1 batteries are now compared to an EVO car with lowering arms

STI test:
(w/KT-5 mini z remote)Well, this car is amazing compared to the new xmod street cars. the response in turning is simply amazing. It didn't turn on a dime at first when i drove it, but with some modifications it was making it around my track so fast i was getting dizzy after 10 laps LOL Anyway, an X-waver mod to the EVO is definitely great, but........it doesnt win over the gen 1 in my opinion on the track. it is slower, heavier, and it cant turn as well even though it should(but this is only my car, results definitely vary). It might now shine as brightly on the track as my Xmod-T, but it drifts better than anything i have drifted. It has superb control with a locked front diff and an open rear one. Transitioning from turn to turn is very smooth and clean. It pretty much drifts like a 1/10 scale drifter. Its just a lot louder lol.
I'd give this car stats like this: (rating is out of 5 *'s)
Handling:****
Speed/Accel:****
Turning Ability:***
Drift Ability:*****

EVO test:
(w/Micro-T stock remote)And now the Gen 1 car. This car is quick! It is featherlight compared to an EVO xmod and just flies around the track. Both diffs are open, giving it superb handling compared to my X-waver. It is extremely agile and responds to every little motion of the controller. It makes me reeeeeaaally dizzy if i keep following it around the track. AWD gave it superb traction and it doesn't dare to flip now. It's drifting abilty though, is just...ok.....its just like a normal drift car, kinda sluggish, gives too much oversteer. its driftable, but it doesnt suit my style. i could lock the diffs, but that would change the car a lot, so im keeping it like this.
Overall i rate it like this:
Handling:*****
Speed/Accel:****
Turning Ability:*****
Drift Ability:***

I think it's safe to say its a tie, there is no clear winner as they both have their pros and cons. The lancer is a better track car than the impreza, but the impreza is waaay better at drifting.

I really think starting a hobby grade conversion on which platform is personal preference. If you like a good all around track car that is hobby grade, i'd say go with the EVO because installation of an X-waver or Mini-Z board would be kind of like a Solder-in-and-go type of thing where the Gen 1 hobby grade with a Micro-T board takes time and requires fabrication to make it good.
There ya go! if you need a reference to what hobby grade to do check here! i did it all for ya lol

EDIT: i think forgot to mention the gen 1 battery holders are custom lowered for better handling

Last edited by WhiteCharisma; 01-27-2009 at 07:21 PM..