Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:23 AM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
huh? i didnt understand lol fill me in.
I like the way you stated that you would be happier with something that you had a direct part in creating rather than paying for something that you did nothing to create.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:28 AM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
I like the way you stated that you would be happier with something that you had a direct part in creating rather than paying for something that you did nothing to create.
ooo gotcha lol.

So true though. that 2.5RS i posted above. ive taken that car from stock, to a boosted sti swapped show car worthy sleeper. Ive got more pride and blood and sweat in that car than i had in my own sti, and i dont even own it. Which is one reason im going this rout now vs buying a new suby. i was so close to buying a new baja for my next project from the dealership, it was as close as going down and picking up the keys. but at the last minute i was like naaa. dont want too. been there done that, im building something this time. ive built cars for everyone else but my self my entire car career pretty much. figured its time to finally finish one of my own projects.

So this is where i am now. that feeling of building it from scratch and winning that first trophie is undescribeable to me.
hell building my buddys car and him winning his first award was an amazing feeling to me, to know that was my blood and sweat.

Last edited by SPR; 12-21-2008 at 01:31 AM..
Old 12-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (19)

I am not saying there is anything wrong with a salvage title because in my experience 8 out of 10 times you get a great car with minor problems that can be fixed for under a 1000 dollars. So a car with a salvage title is a car I can do whatever I want to it and not pay so much that I don't want to touch it. Good luck with your project.
I need alloy rims but not the rs alloy rims. If you have some you are willing to part with let me know. Paying top dollar for them and even better if they are top cad alloy rims as I will pay full price and a half for them.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:35 AM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdragon View Post
I am not saying there is anything wrong with a salvage title because in my experience 8 out of 10 times you get a great car with minor problems that can be fixed for under a 1000 dollars. So a car with a salvage title is a car I can do whatever I want to it and not pay so much that I don't want to touch it. Good luck with your project.

while i agree 100% of the time, salvage tires decrease the value. they dont drop the value $26,300. on a sti, 2k max of a price drop for a salvage title.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Advance member

True, but you have to look at what all was done to it to lower the price and then look at how bad the person selling it wants to get rid of it. But even with a salvage title once you get the car back up to speed you will definetly get some of the value back if and when you go to sell it.
I need alloy rims but not the rs alloy rims. If you have some you are willing to part with let me know. Paying top dollar for them and even better if they are top cad alloy rims as I will pay full price and a half for them.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:59 AM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdragon View Post
True, but you have to look at what all was done to it to lower the price and then look at how bad the person selling it wants to get rid of it. But even with a salvage title once you get the car back up to speed you will definetly get some of the value back if and when you go to sell it.
well to find a shell like this, its going to one a once in a blue moon thing to pick it up with a clean title.

but even with a clean title it would sell for about the same. its really only worth its weight in scrap metal.

i dont ever plan to sell this. by the time i do, IF i ever decided too... i wont get my money out of it. ill lose money. But i like the idea of owning my car for once in my life and not having a 400 dollar a month payment. i think ill hang onto it for a long time and rally the **** out of it. When i get to a place where i can manage my money better and not having so many bills and buy a nice new daily driver. well this thing will just get that much more work done to it to turn those 1/4 mile times even faster.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Advance member

Trust me I know. I get cars all the time but I look for ones with salvage titles because here in Philly people don't care if it is salvage or not they just want a reasonable car for a nice price that runs and has heat. So when I see them I try to get them and resell here. Example: just got a 92 jaguar for 400.00 with a clean title and have an offer for a 1000. Can't beat that and salvage cars go pretty much the same way. So I have no problems with salvage cars as long as they run.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:47 AM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Trader Rating: (0)

I would put a Small block chevy in it and a 4l60, seems the cheapest to me.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:47 AM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythekid1 View Post
I would put a Small block chevy in it and a 4l60, seems the cheapest to me.
then your back to fabbing everything. custom everything. and a gas sucking motor. Sounds like more money to me.

plus no awd. if i wanted a chevy id go buy a chevy. i like my awd.

a chevy motor would be to deep to mount to a subaru tranny/drive train. it would be sticking threw the grill.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:23 AM
The Daywalker

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

yea, I immediately knew either completely stripped, or really stupid seller, or some combination. as a wrecked STi is easily close to 10g.

I'm also guessing '04, as the 5x114.3 hubs/axles/struts would be worth more than $700.

heck, even if it is an '04, you could easily make a substantial profit parting it out. bumper, hood, wing, suspension, r180 rear hubs, carpet

"Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?"
Subaru --- All We'll Drive
Member: NSW, USC, MNS, C4C. Founder/Owner: NCC
Old 12-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Stage 1 member

lucky! I would like to jump on something like this and then unload the Wrangler with my $460 a month payment...
Old 12-21-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
then your back to fabbing everything. custom everything. and a gas sucking motor. Sounds like more money to me.

plus no awd. if i wanted a chevy id go buy a chevy. i like my awd.

a chevy motor would be to deep to mount to a subaru tranny/drive train. it would be sticking threw the grill.
a chromoly frame wouldn't be that hard as far as that car is apart. A late model LS1 with fuel injection and a moderate rear end, would get about as good fuel economy as a awd Subaru. I'm going to say maybe even better. However a LS1 would cost a little more then a normal small block. But I just didn't care for you gas sucking comment, since its a common steriotype against chevy drive trains.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/noframes/19649.shtml GTO

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/noframes/20638.shtml Impreza

Last edited by jimmythekid1; 12-21-2008 at 09:48 AM..
Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
rebuild it lol. But im not going to rebuild it to 100% stock. Im going to build it to be a all around race car.

Stripped gutted interior, only the basic things it needs to be a driver.
and basic things it needs to be street legal.

sti motor and drivetrain and brakes.

2 front seats. half a dash. maybe part of a center console, heater and defroster, no A/C. only luxury it will really have is power windows and locks. maybe cruise control lol. Roll cage.. yeah stuff like that.

Rally Princess. 1/4 mile queen. Freeway Pwner.
You can make a good amount of parts.

Or think of it as the thieves did all the stripping for you.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 12-21-2008, 12:44 PM
The Daywalker

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

Quote:
a chromoly frame wouldn't be that hard as far as that car is apart. A late model LS1 with fuel injection and a moderate rear end, would get about as good fuel economy as a awd Subaru. I'm going to say maybe even better. However a LS1 would cost a little more then a normal small block. But I just didn't care for you gas sucking comment, since its a common steriotype against chevy drive trains.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/noframes/19649.shtml GTO

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/noframes/20638.shtml Impreza
yes, continue to shoot yourself in the foot. you picked the absolute least efficient subaru drivetrain (turbo and automatic, not sure on the motor....if it's the 2.5 or 2.0) to use to prove how efficient your V8 is, and the subaru still won

and the GTO would still suck in the dirt AND the snow.

also, putting the subaru parts in there like he's talking about is all bolts. no fabbing, making, cutting, welding, bending, etc. etc.

in order to put a V8 in that car, this would have to happen (this was a 2004 STi):

"Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?"
Subaru --- All We'll Drive
Member: NSW, USC, MNS, C4C. Founder/Owner: NCC

Last edited by Numbchux; 12-21-2008 at 12:47 PM..
Old 12-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

thats sad about the whole front end getting chopped up like that in a subaru...poor thing but SPR good luck with the subaru i hope it turns out well and you kick the **** outts some kids on the street man good luck i love subarus

FOR SALE!
SCION TC WITH B/K.
HUMMER BODY AND BK.
ACURA NSX BODY WITH FRONT CLIP.
G35 WITH B/K.
SOME SUSPENTION STUFF.
SWEET CUSTOM TRAILER.
PM ME.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbchux View Post
yes, continue to shoot yourself in the foot. you picked the absolute least efficient subaru drivetrain (turbo and automatic, not sure on the motor....if it's the 2.5 or 2.0) to use to prove how efficient your V8 is, and the subaru still won

and the GTO would still suck in the dirt AND the snow.

also, putting the subaru parts in there like he's talking about is all bolts. no fabbing, making, cutting, welding, bending, etc. etc.

in order to put a V8 in that car, this would have to happen (this was a 2004 STi):

just randomly picked, fan boy. GTO are fine in the snow my inlaw drove one for 4 years, now he has a g8 which is also fine. That looks like a sweet project in the photos.
I just check like all the makes for subaru and they are all about the same, so I don't really see were you are coming from? hell even an awd V8 caddy gets comparable mileage to an awd Subaru. I just don't understand you problem some times kid, telling me I'm shooting my self in the foot and crap. How serious do you really think I was about putting a SB in that any way. You always have to try to out do somebody. WTF

Last edited by jimmythekid1; 12-21-2008 at 02:20 PM..
Old 12-21-2008, 03:37 PM
SPR

Quote:
just randomly picked, fan boy. GTO are fine in the snow my inlaw drove one for 4 years, now he has a g8 which is also fine. That looks like a sweet project in the photos.
I just check like all the makes for subaru and they are all about the same, so I don't really see were you are coming from? hell even an awd V8 caddy gets comparable mileage to an awd Subaru. I just don't understand you problem some times kid, telling me I'm shooting my self in the foot and crap. How serious do you really think I was about putting a SB in that any way. You always have to try to out do somebody. WTF

and just shoot your other foot now why dont you lmao.

gto fine in the snow? its RWD!! nothing rwd is fine in the snow. suure they can drive around town on normal snow conditions and make it okay... but they are not fine in the snow.

i will pay your your inlaw's fuel to get here, and his weeks vacation to travel down 6th street in my town right now. and then at 40 mph he must down shift and punch it. i bet you 100% be plows into one of hte semis thats lining that street right now.

My subaru would bust the *** end out wide, start spinning all 4 tires and take off straight like a bat out of hell ready to pass a car.

back to the gas millage comment. i was not talking about new LS1 motors. i was talking about CHEVY SMALL BLOCKS. normally when your talking about CSB's your talking about older model carberated motors. My 67 camaro gets about 8 mpg on the freeway if im lucky and makes somewhere in the 350 range for hp. a 350 whp subaru could still pull 25 mpg on the freeway. my buddy in his wrx making 290 whp pulls 21 mpg romping the crap out of it.

Now yes i have seen fuel injected chevys that make 600 hp at like 30 mpg... its possible... but you know how much money that cost? more than what i plan to invest into this new sti all together. and again. not what i would concider a small block chevy motor. even thou technically it is still a 350.

Chux, did they even try to keep the AWD in that swap? or was it being converted to a rwd drag car?

Last edited by SPR; 12-21-2008 at 03:41 PM..
Old 12-21-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
and just shoot your other foot now why dont you lmao.

gto fine in the snow? its RWD!! nothing rwd is fine in the snow. suure they can drive around town on normal snow conditions and make it okay... but they are not fine in the snow.

i will pay your your inlaw's fuel to get here, and his weeks vacation to travel down 6th street in my town right now. and then at 40 mph he must down shift and punch it. i bet you 100% be plows into one of hte semis thats lining that street right now.

My subaru would bust the *** end out wide, start spinning all 4 tires and take off straight like a bat out of hell ready to pass a car.

back to the gas millage comment. i was not talking about new LS1 motors. i was talking about CHEVY SMALL BLOCKS. normally when your talking about CSB's your talking about older model carberated motors. My 67 camaro gets about 8 mpg on the freeway if im lucky and makes somewhere in the 350 range for hp. a 350 whp subaru could still pull 25 mpg on the freeway. my buddy in his wrx making 290 whp pulls 21 mpg romping the crap out of it.

Now yes i have seen fuel injected chevys that make 600 hp at like 30 mpg... its possible... but you know how much money that cost? more than what i plan to invest into this new sti all together. and again. not what i would concider a small block chevy motor. even thou technically it is still a 350.

Chux, did they even try to keep the AWD in that swap? or was it being converted to a rwd drag car?

dude I wasn't attacking you so chill. RWD is fine in the snow. Do you think people never drove in the snow before 1980. I have driven RWD my whole life, my first car was a 79 Impala. I currently drive a G Van. Check the weather in Michigan right now. I'm not saying RWD is better then AWD in the snow, I'm just saying its possible to get around safety and efficiently with a RWD car. We get lots of snow where we live over a foot in the last few days. Also a 92 TBI Fullsized chevy sedan could get 24mpg on the highway. TBI SB are a cheap score too. but I'm done with this conversation it not going any where.

Last edited by jimmythekid1; 12-21-2008 at 03:56 PM..
Old 12-21-2008, 04:00 PM
SPR

[QUOTE=jimmythekid1;199889]I'm just saying its possible to get around safety and efficiently with a RWD car. QUOTE]

thats exactly what i just said... but they still suck in the snow compared to a subaru. which is what chux said, and is the subject we were on. we never said they had to be parked in a garage for the winter. just that they suck compared to a subaru.

ive never once ran chains or studs on my sti, half the time i run my bridge stone potenzas all winter long. (which are basically half a drag slick) yeah they tires spin sometimes, but the car keeps going straight and forward. still passes every car and truck on the road going up to the mt snowboarding. and when its soooo bad that they are requiring you to pull over and chain up for everyone. i point and laugh at all the people out in the cold blizzard putting chains on their car while im still rippin up the hill with out studs.

hardly any 4wd trucks can even do that. let alone anything rwd. point is they suck in the snow. never said they couldnt get around. but they still suck.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:09 PM

I guess the definition of suck depends on the driver. Personally I enjoy driving sideways down my whole block. But I have been said to be a little nuts. Michigan does not allow chains or studs so I have never used them myself.