Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (0)

LOL, no they dont give you money for glass... Actually if you take it to the dump they charge you money to take it from you...

But you could always brake it up and just slowly toss it in your garbage bins until its gone...

Like i said i got one big window a two tiny windows done for about 250$ but i was extremely lucky that the guy gave me a discount since we were buying 3000$ worth of house glass from him...
Old 07-30-2008, 07:18 PM
The Daywalker

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

when you go into a tint shop and ask for tint, or get pulled over and the cop measures it, it's measured on the amount of light they let through. that is, 5% is uber dark.

most factory SUVs/Vans come with 20% on them. I've got a buddy that owns a shop that does tint, and he uses film. costs about $150 for a sedan.

MN law states that the front side windows cannot be darker than 50%. no limit on the rest. so it's pretty common to go darker in the rear, and doesn't look bad at all. in fact, due to scratches on my driver's window, I'm not having the fronts done at all, and 20% on the rest. I'll post pics when it's done in a couple weeks.

"Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?"
Subaru --- All We'll Drive
Member: NSW, USC, MNS, C4C. Founder/Owner: NCC
Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

I have however seen it stated both ways, 5% blockage and as 5% light passiveness, i think it was quite obvious which I was talking about.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 PM

Trader Rating: (22)
Send a message via AIM to 123Vette Send a message via Yahoo to 123Vette

do you guys think i should get the scrathcedc window replaced first? its scratch on the outside and they put the tint on the inside? so will it be fine?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM
The Daywalker

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Vette View Post
do you guys think i should get the scrathcedc window replaced first? its scratch on the outside and they put the tint on the inside? so will it be fine?
my buddy, who knows his **** and will be installing mine, says it doesn't matter. if the window is scratched.....it'll look like ***.

"Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?"
Subaru --- All We'll Drive
Member: NSW, USC, MNS, C4C. Founder/Owner: NCC
Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
5% tinted genius...

hey genious, they are only measured in one way. 5% is black. anything you hear other wise is slang terms used by idiots who dont know what they are talking about. u go to any tint shop and say you want your windows 5% tinted your wlaking out with limo tint if they will even do it for you. most wont since its illegal most the time.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
hey genious, they are only measured in one way. 5% is black. anything you hear other wise is slang terms used by idiots who dont know what they are talking about. u go to any tint shop and say you want your windows 5% tinted your wlaking out with limo tint if they will even do it for you. most wont since its illegal most the time.
I know for a fact considering i work for a construction company that house glass is measured both ways. So i think as long as your clear theyw ill understand, so stop getting so excited...

Edit: and dont call other idiots cause a lot of smart people refer to it the other way around because for people who dont know its easier to comprehend...
Old 07-31-2008, 08:14 AM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Question

Quote:
Whats a genious? Oh wait, that must be the slang term only idiots use that you were talking about.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbchux View Post
my buddy, who knows his **** and will be installing mine, says it doesn't matter. if the window is scratched.....it'll look like ***.
so i should get it replaced before then. Anybody know the approximate price to replace a window?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Proud Supra owner!

Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via AIM to WhiteMKIV Send a message via MSN to WhiteMKIV Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteMKIV

The front right window is scratch on my car idk if it was tinted over the cratch but it was like that when i bought it. Its not the worst thing in the world but if it was a volvo i would replace that window!
Quote:
that wasnt exactly a good first post....

but im flattered my tool box turns you on
Old 07-31-2008, 12:00 PM

hahah i want to but once again im limited by the price it looks like to replace will be like 100$ only hope i have glass insurance...
Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Xmod Expert

Chances are if you take it to a reputable dealer the insurance company will give you some money back definetly not 100% but some. I usually don't claim it cause itll bring up my rates a little and the amount they give you isn't worth it when i can take it to my friend and he can do it for that much cheaper...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 PM

i read up on some ways to cheaply fix it nail polish clear coat will that work? you just brush it on and wipe off the excese with a cotton rag...
Old 07-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Xmod Expert

You can always try it, if it doesnt work oh well you still have to replace the window..no loss right...

I dont know if they have those resin kits in stores that you can buy to fix windows yourself. i have some its hard as hell to do a perfect job but it looks better than a chipped window.

Ill ask my dad to see where he got it from...
Old 07-31-2008, 09:18 PM

alright thanks i asked at avanced auto to see if they had anything for it they didnt.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:12 PM

i found this picture its not my car but it is identlcail to mine and it has tinted windows and it looks great

Old 08-09-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
Just in case you don't already know this. If your car has AC the windows are tinted from the factory so if let's say 25% is the max allowed by law and you put 25% film on you are now too dark. also, 250 sounds pretty high, I got 5 windows professionally done on my Maxima for 130 with a 1 year warranty.
id like to apologise for saying you are wrong because you are right i went to the place today and the guy told me that the windows are factory tinted at 75%. So sorry about that...

Btw im getting it done next saturday and the windows will all be the same shade which is the stock 75% with 40% over it because anything darker in any window is illegal