Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2008, 06:09 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid
Default Batteries.

Howdy Xmodsource members,

This is a sad and frank reminder thread that all batteries can be dangerous, no matter the chemical make up. Below you will see why..

Today I ran the RC18MT like any other day on the stock NiMH batteries. After they were reaching the end of their charge cycle I noticed a little jitter with the throttle; which I never experienced before with the same setup. I wrote it off as a glitch and stopped the RC18, went inside and took the battery out and gave it a good once over as well as cleaned her. After about two hours I decided it was time to drive her again, so I plugged in my batteries. Typically, my batteries take about fourty-five minutes to charge at 1.0amp; today, however, it was taking longer. After about the hour and fifteen minute mark I stopped to examine the cells..

Unknowingly I picked up the pack by a fistfull, initially thinking they're just going to be luke warm. To my dismay they were actually leaking acid and scolding hot. I couldn't smell anything from my computer desk, but as I picked up the pack with my bare hand I could notice the foul smell as well as feel the gooey substance running up my fingers. Immediatly I yanked the battery from the charger and ran to the bathroom to wash my hands with cold water; unfortantly I'm still left with a minor burn and one less battery pack.

Below are the images of the faulty cells. Unfortunatly I am left with only two more packs.. I have come to the conclusion that I charged these batteries at too high of an amperage (1.0amp with them being 1100mAh batteries) which caused them to become faulty and lead to some sort of short within. I should take the same precautions with NiMH that I do with my LiPo, but, unfortunatly, I do not and this is what can happen..

Consider this a friendly warning from your neighborhood Donziikid. It would be unfortunate to see anyone go through the same experince because of faulty cells, so please be careful; whether they're radio packs for a Nitro or expensive NiMH/LiPo batteries for an electric.. I know none of you want your mother on your *** for having cells "explode" in your room.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."