Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 04:07 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default 1/10 Exceed Electric Buggies

These are cheap, do you think they're any good? I mean, I've been thinking about getting a 1/18 buggy, but then I see these 1/10 for less than $100.

I'm attributing this new obsession with an electric buggy to a traumatizing experienc from my childhood. I got a RC buggy for Christmas one year, it was like a Nikko I think, the kind of stuff you get at Toys R Us, I drove it once and it stopped working, it wasnt'the batteries, the thing just stopped.

So now I need to resolve this unfulfilled childhood need by getting a good electric buggy that will actuall work and not break easily.

Is 1/18 fun? Or is it better to go 1/10?

Last edited by RallyWRX; 08-24-2007 at 04:13 AM..
Old 08-24-2007, 04:58 AM
XMS moderator

Send a message via MSN to tayyab

if u really want to go offroad, jumping etc. i suggest 1/10
otherwise stick with the 1/18
Old 08-24-2007, 05:43 AM
The One And Only

1/10 all the way. My friend has a 1/10 buggy and a 1/18 and his 1/18 got run over lol the 1/10 he has tho goes super quick
Old 08-24-2007, 09:13 AM
is here

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

i have a 1/18 rc. its not a buggy, but if you want something that you can use in smaller spaces, get the 1/18. if you want something big and possibly faster go with the 1/10. if you go with 1/18 try the rc18b. dont go with the rs pro pulse.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:57 AM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodracer1 View Post
dont go with the rs pro pulse.
There is exactly nothing wrong with the MegaTech ProPulse. Although they're not as high of a quality as AE, there is still nothing wrong with them, you can do just about the same with them as an AE. Also, I've heard many and seen many things done to a ProPulse and they're still going strong. Anyone who has a mindset that the ProPulse is just a cheap piece of plastic, obviously hasn't owned one, or asked someone who owns one what they think of it.

RallyWRX, I myself have been contiplating getting a 1/18th Buggy/Truck. There are very, very, very many choices and they all come up a little short of what I would want to do with it.

You just have to think about what you want to do. Are you wanting to race indoors with it? Most places aren't large enough for 1/10, so you'd have to go 1/18th. Are you going to be doing a lot of offroad bashing? Most 1/18th scales do not have the ground clearance to do that. Or are you just going to be running up and down the street? If you're going for speed runs, the 1/18th is going to top out a lot faster than the 1/10th, so you would be able to achieve greater speeds with a 1/10th.

But then there's cost. So you may have to skimp a little and just deal with the 1/18th, or you can just keep saving and go with the larger 1/10th.

What did you have in mind to do with this new Buggy?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to redrkt Send a message via MSN to redrkt Send a message via Yahoo to redrkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
There is exactly nothing wrong with the MegaTech ProPulse. Although they're not as high of a quality as AE, there is still nothing wrong with them, you can do just about the same with them as an AE. Also, I've heard many and seen many things done to a ProPulse and they're still going strong. Anyone who has a mindset that the ProPulse is just a cheap piece of plastic, obviously hasn't owned one, or asked someone who owns one what they think of it.

RallyWRX, I myself have been contiplating getting a 1/18th Buggy/Truck. There are very, very, very many choices and they all come up a little short of what I would want to do with it.

You just have to think about what you want to do. Are you wanting to race indoors with it? Most places aren't large enough for 1/10, so you'd have to go 1/18th. Are you going to be doing a lot of offroad bashing? Most 1/18th scales do not have the ground clearance to do that. Or are you just going to be running up and down the street? If you're going for speed runs, the 1/18th is going to top out a lot faster than the 1/10th, so you would be able to achieve greater speeds with a 1/10th.

But then there's cost. So you may have to skimp a little and just deal with the 1/18th, or you can just keep saving and go with the larger 1/10th.

Speed cost $$$, How fast do you want to go? I have yet to see a 1/18th scale outrun a 1/10th scale either in accelaration or top speed, but it all depends on how much money your willing to spend.

I know of a micro-T that will run as fast as a Jato 3.3 but the guy has almost $1000 into it (original cost was just under $130) and when it is running at that speed the tires are as thin as a pencil is thick. (they are normally about 1 in. wide)

In the long run I think you will find that once you get the small one and get used to running it you will want to upgrade and go bigger, just a natural progression in the hobby, you would probably be happier with the 1/10th scale in the long run (more accessories and bodies available)
Old 08-24-2007, 11:48 AM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrkt View Post
I know of a micro-T that will run as fast as a Jato 3.3 but the guy has almost $1000 into it (original cost was just under $130) and when it is running at that speed the tires are as thin as a pencil is thick. (they are normally about 1 in. wide)
Tires balloon, not compress...I don't see how his tires could have gotten any smaller because of centrifical force...that's just going against the laws of physics...

Also, everyone knows that speed will cost a lot more in the long run. Also, a 1/18th scale will find it's highest top speed a lot sooner than a 1/10th would, but it will be less expensive to go with the 1/18th but not as fast.

But heck, who knows, he may be looking for an offroader, but in that case a 1/10th would be able to do more "offroading" than a 1/18th would because of the limited ground clearance.

Food for thought, just need him to elaborate on what he is/will do with one.

Quote:
the only thing bad about the pro pulse is the price for stuff is an outrage. i have the t100. they break too easily. i am already on my second chassis. ive broken shock towers, axels, bumpers, chipped and broken the diffs.
May I ask what exactly you are doing with your ProPulse to have caused that much destruction? It shouldn't break to easily if you are driving moderatly..
Old 08-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Quote:

May I ask what exactly you are doing with your ProPulse to have caused that much destruction? It shouldn't break to easily if you are driving moderatly..
the pro pulse is a weak rc. there is no comparison to the b-100 and 18B.i got an 18T when my friend come over with his b-100. we drive the same terrain and jump the same jumps. hes practically had to replace every **** part on his car.

the pro pulse was listed as a tough off road rc.....so how do you drive moderately ?

it is not hobby grade and to recommend it over an 18T is ridiculous. it would be in anybodies best interest to just spend the extra money on hobby grade and save themselves money ( in broken parts)and heart break of buying a pro pulse.

if i had to choose between 1/18th and 1/10th id go with 1/18th.
i run an 18T with rpm arms , shock towers , mamba 6800 w/stock gears. its a beast.

Last edited by Iche-1; 08-25-2007 at 10:57 AM..
Old 08-24-2007, 11:46 AM
is here

Quote:

the only thing bad about the pro pulse is the price for stuff is an outrage. i have the t100. they break too easily. i am already on my second chassis. ive broken shock towers, axels, bumpers, chipped and broken the diffs.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:00 PM
is here

i offroad it, take it off jumps, race. all of this stuff happened on my old chassis. the new one is holding up quite well. actually come to think of it, pro pulses are pretty good. just the prices for upgrades are insane! i still do all of these thing and it still works!!

Last edited by Stampedekid; 08-24-2007 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
i offroad it, take it off jumps, race. all of this stuff happened on my old chassis. the new one is holding up quite well. actually come to think of it, pro pulses are pretty good. just the prices for upgrades are insane! i still do all of these thing and it still works!!
So that's why your first chassis went to crap, because you were bashing the heck out of it. You believe this newer chassis is made with better quality plastic or are you not running it as hard as you were running your previous chassis?

You can also get upgrades somewhere else. You do not have to buy MegaTech items. (I'm talking about motors, escs, pinions/spurs, and compatable stuff. I can understand arms, links, towers, etc. need to be bought from a RadioShack/MegaTech.)
Old 08-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Elite member

ive got the duratrax vendetta 1/18 buggy. its a seriously fun buggy and any 24mm 1/10 scale wheels will fit. the way to go is brushless. im still running stock but some guys who run brushless are saying theyre getting speeds around 40-50mph.

take a look around youtube for the duratrax vendetta. sure its smaller than 1/10 or 1/8, but it goes and goes and goes. funny watching all the overpriced nitro trucks and buggys flipping over or drving off the track whilke this the little underrated 1/18 buggy flys past, its a born jumper!
Old 08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang-04 View Post
ive got the duratrax vendetta 1/18 buggy. its a seriously fun buggy and any 24mm 1/10 scale wheels will fit. the way to go is brushless. im still running stock but some guys who run brushless are saying theyre getting speeds around 40-50mph.
Since you took a touch on brushless, I would like to elaborate:

Brushless systems from Mamba Maxx are a lot more efficient at the smaller scales than the larger scales. The larger scale (1/10) have a tendancy to cause to much noise disturbance and you will definetly have to buy a Spektrum Radio to run a MM system for 1/10. But, I have heard that the 1/18th size Mamba systems run great and you don't get as much noise, and they don't overheat as easily. I don't know the full story but I've definetly heard more positive reviews on brushless at the smaller scale.

It's always advised to go with a Spektrum or FM radio when using Brushless, but...Brushless will still be cheaper at 1/18, if you decide to go there.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Does the RC18 have full bearings, ball diffs, servo saver, and an FM transmitter?

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 08-24-2007, 02:16 PM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Does the RC18 have full bearings, ball diffs, servo saver, and an FM transmitter?
Ball Bearings: Yes, sheilded.
Ball Diffs: Yes, adjustable.
Servo saver: Not sure. :?
Transmitter: No, 27mhz AM.

Why, does the ProPulse come with those items?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Yes all them standared, and the RC18 didnt come with that until recently, as far as I know. Reading on some the RC18 vs ProPulse threads.

Full sheilded bearings, adjustable ball diffs, servo saver, 27MHz FM

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 08-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Xmod Expert

I believe the RC18's servo savers are on the servo horn, rather than AE's usual bellcrank servo saver.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to lilskipro587 Send a message via Yahoo to lilskipro587

Yeah the saver is on the horn. I would know seeing as I lost the spring for it last night. Super Glue is stronger anyway.
"free the heel and ski for real"

Fujica STX SLR still for sale.
Looking to build computers by order.

-Contact me on both.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:41 AM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to redrkt Send a message via MSN to redrkt Send a message via Yahoo to redrkt

Quote:
Tires balloon, not compress...I don't see how his tires could have gotten any smaller because of centrifical force...that's just going against the laws of physics...
Donzi I never said that they got smaller or compressed. when they balloon they get to be about a pencil thickness.

Matter of fact go watch someone running a 1/10th or larger and get them to do donuts and watch what happens to the wheels when they come off the ground,
that is until they blow off the rim.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:25 AM
Elite member

Cool, thanks guys, this has been a very informative thread, not at all like the "Calling all Girls" thread.

I'm glad to hear some good things about Pro Pulse, that's what I wanted to hear. I'm going to try an hold out for a sale on Pro Pulse, I can't believe I missed the 2 for 1 sale. Makes me mad. They must have sold a lot with that sale because they're still out of stock on RadioShack.com

I didn't know they were made by Megatech. That's cool. I wouldn't be buying too many upgrade parts for it though, maybe just a motor and maybe wheels. The upgrades are way overpriced.

What I want to do foremost is race at a nice indoor track here in Utah, www.ir-cr.com if you want to see it. It seems like 1/18 is a good size for that track.

But I would also like to do some bashing, now you'd think that 1/10 would be more expensive, but these Exceed 1/10 are only Like $89. Maybe they don't have all the good stuff, like bearings. But still, I don't need something too awsome to bash with.

If I wait to long and Pro-Pulse never has a good sale or goes away, then I'll look into a Mini Inferno or the Duratraxx.

Wow, I can't believe that someone actually spent $1000 dollars on upgrading a Micro T. That's crazy, you know how many xmods that is? A lot. Ha ha!

Well, you won't hear much from me for a few days, I shouldn't be writing right now either, I'm recovering from a horrible, and I mean horrible muscle spasm that I had today in my back by my shoulder blade. I was just holding my cell phone between my head and shoulder and washing my hands when it all of a sudden hit me. It almost put me on the floor, then It kept coming back throughout the day, later it did put me on the floor and made me cry like a baby. The worst pain I've ever had.

Thank goodness for insurance though, I went to the doctor (still in pain and still having aftershocks) and he gave me an injection like a super shot of Ibuprofen, then he sent me to the physical therapist for some shock treatment and stuff. He perscribe a muscle relaxer, but the pharmacy was closed, so I'll get that tomorrow. Man, I hope nobody ever has to have one of these, not fun. Bad, very bad.

Last edited by RallyWRX; 08-25-2007 at 03:53 AM..
Closed Thread