Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 05-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (7)
Send a message via AIM to monsterhunter
Default Families new ride: 1941 Dodge Pickup

well its not new and drivable yet. but as of today we bought a 1940 Dodge truck for cheap, now this things got some rust here and there some spots worse then others but this thing has some great potential, its got a flathead straight 6 with a 3 speed manual. clutch feels really good, brakes dont work, and it doesnt run. but who cares? its got awesome potential.
we will have the truck back at the house on Monday since we needed to get it towed.
the first steps for this is to
1. fix the frame cross member rust
2. remove the running boards
3. get it running
4. get the brakes to work.
after all thats done we will probably run it like that for a little as we slowly build up the 400 big block we have to do a motor swap.

and as it says under the DODGE logo... Made In The U.S.A.

and just a little look at the frame right now, its just the end of it so it shouldnt be too hard to fix that, since we will be boxing the whole frame anyway and also the frame it self is good just the rear cross member have rust only.

Last edited by monsterhunter; 05-30-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Old 05-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

That's the **** right there, but don't take that straight 6 out! I would absolutely love to own an old medium duty for a tow rig.

How much did you get it for?

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 05-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Camaro98

Wow, that's in pretty good shape! Not much rust at all!

My buddy has a '48 Chevrolet Custom; it used to be a Coca-Cola delivery truck (one of the yellow ones with the sillouette of the girl drinking the coke on the doors). Wooden flatbed, 2-speed rear end, straight-6 with gobs of torque, cab lights, and dual rear wheels. Funky vacuum-brake system, too. His truck has a LOT more rust than yours, though. He picked it up for $1300, and has been starting the restoration job....currently re-doing the oil lines and brake system. That sucker is a beast....you can't stall it, even with the clutch being in worn out shape. It just grunts and GOES.

What do you plan to do with the paint? Are you going to keep the truck in the old colors like it is now?

Nice find!!
Old 05-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
That's the **** right there, but don't take that straight 6 out! I would absolutely love to own an old medium duty for a tow rig.

How much did you get it for?
yea i dont think we would take the straight 6 out for awhile if we even do. we are now too sure what we gonna do, probably gonna keep the straight 6 in it. and we grabbed this sucker for $600. so cheap, it has rust but its really not that bad, just the back of the cab and the lower parts of the fenders running boards and floor, i have already found running boards and floor pan on ebay for pretty cheap. it all needs windows which i have already found too. it use to be a dual rear tire, if we keep it stock(which we probably will) we are gonna put the dual tires back on, its a 3 speed manual, and the clutch is good still and trans seems to shift fine when just playing with the shifter.

Quote:
What do you plan to do with the paint? Are you going to keep the truck in the old colors like it is now?
we will probably end up just leaving it how it is, and pounding out all the dents, this will end up being a really slow restoration since the lack of cash and such. so it will remain like that for a while, but it really doesnt look too bad anyway. and the Chrome is even in pretty good shape some have dents and such tho, but still in pretty good shape.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:37 PM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

i would just make it run and then use it for mudding. there's something about 40s vehicles and mud that i love.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Elite member

no wayy, this thing might be my tow rig for later,i wouldnt do much to this thing since its basically my project since my dads got his car(73 charger) to work on. im on this truck.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 PM
MSI <3

well, to each their own, but you don't know what you're missing.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Advance member

ya we just picked up a 45' international kb-2 for free. yes free. we already had a 49 international rat rod but my dad saw this on craigslist and had to get it. it is sweet the old horn even still works lol. and it isn't missing a thing it still even had the orgininal title with matching #'s
Old 05-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird999 View Post
well, to each their own, but you don't know what you're missing.
nah see thats why im buying a Ramcharger

Quote:
ya we just picked up a 45' international kb-2 for free. yes free. we already had a 49 international rat rod but my dad saw this on craigslist and had to get it. it is sweet the old horn even still works lol. and it isn't missing a thing it still even had the orgininal title with matching #'s
dang, nice score! i havnt figured out what model this truck is yet or if its a 1/2 ton 3/4 ton or 1 ton yet, we only got a bill of sale(good enough) so once i get the truck to my house(monday) im gonna decode the VIN and see what i can find out, so far i know its either a 1/2 ton 3/4 ton or a 1 ton, not too sure dont think its a 1/2 tone since its a dually so im guessing either 3/4 or 1 ton, will figure that out sooner or later.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

When you get it, can you provide me with some direct pictures of the front of the wheels, and take a couple pics of the inside of the wheels as well?

If I am thinking correctly, the wheels on that thing are currently illegal to run. If they are the widow maker wheels anyway, if they are just the split ring wheels you will want to get rid of them to.. but they aren't illegal.

Widow makers are not a wheel you want to mess with at all, the name should say it all.. they have claimed many lives. Split rings have too, but they are much safer than a widow maker.

All of that aside, that looks like a nice solid project.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling427ttvette View Post
When you get it, can you provide me with some direct pictures of the front of the wheels, and take a couple pics of the inside of the wheels as well?

If I am thinking correctly, the wheels on that thing are currently illegal to run. If they are the widow maker wheels anyway, if they are just the split ring wheels you will want to get rid of them to.. but they aren't illegal.

Widow makers are not a wheel you want to mess with at all, the name should say it all.. they have claimed many lives. Split rings have too, but they are much safer than a widow maker.

All of that aside, that looks like a nice solid project.
that doesnt sound too good, ill get on that aspa, i should be getting the truck here tomorrow afternoon (late) so ill have the pics up later that night. i hope they the safer ones, dont really have money for wheels right now. and yea its very soild pretty much and where the rust is, its on easy fix with custom patch panels i can make at my welding shop in school. so it will take time but be very fun.

Last edited by monsterhunter; 05-31-2009 at 02:11 PM..
Old 05-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

That just adds to the excitement of it all.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 05-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Elite member

yea i cant wait, a steal at $600, really only needs brakes and windshield and a battery. for what ive found, so far. might need a gs tank not too sure yet, we shall see! first thing i gotta do check out the brakes.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Elite member

well got hoem from school and it was sitting in my driveway, afteer showin some stuff to my mom and what not, iu got to work rigth when my dad came home(around 4:30) so far, we have the front bumper, and gas tank removed working on the running boards right now, heres some pics of all the problem spots and what not.

\the cab conner thats bad.

running boards

back of fenders

running boards again

cross member rust, easy fix

back of cab and gas tank and front bumper.will have the running boards off in about the next 2 hours or less.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Elite member

well got alitle update got drivers side running board off, got too dark to get the passages off tomorrow, and the windshields come out as well.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

Well from the outside, they are not split rings. I am guessing they are the widow makers. I really need a picture of the other side of the wheels when they are off of the vehicle.

Getting a small glimpse of one of the pictures while they are on the truck.. I'm pretty sure they are widow makers. You'd be lucky to find a shop to work on them, as it's illegal to re-mount them I believe. The shop I worked at would still do it.. I never touched them.

The reason they are so dangerous is because the wheel comes apart into two pieces.. in the center. And if they are not perfectly clean at the mounting points, if the pressure is not just right.. they will blow apart. Even with 20lbs of air in the tire it's enough to severely hurt a person and or dis member a person.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Elite member

yea idk, im not too sure how long it will be before we start to pull the wheels and such, today we got alot done pretty much, almsot got the windows out, and pulled the radiator and whole front nose and passenger running board. also! new info this truck is a 1941 1 ton wd-20, or 21, with a 133" wheels base and a 9' bed box(use to have on it.)
heres some new pics for you guys,

and the trash/bad pile keeps getting bigger.

radiator and hood supports.

nose off, sorry bout the bad pic, but its the best i can get right now, better ones later.

windshield almost out.

rust floor board drivers side.

back of the nose.

radiator again, in very good shape.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:46 PM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

.. thats alot of rust.. -.-

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 06-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
.. thats alot of rust.. -.-
actually, its not that bad for its age, and i also do not know how long it has been sitting around, from the looks of all the caked dirt this truck but me original 29k truck. so far its going pretty good, just waiting on an ending actualy for some floor boards then we can pull the cab and fix that up.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Elite member

well im back! with some nice updates! found more rust the floors, its another pretty easy fix. just won a floor pan and trans cover off ebay, so as soon as we get that we wil get to work on the floors. and after we finish up the floors, we shall pull the cab! then we pound out the dents and fix the back then move on to the frame. btw this truck is a POSITIVE ground, yes positive ground, 6 volt system. we shall be converting it to 12v negative ground.
so on to the pics for now.

this is the passenger side the other is drivers(its way worse)

Last edited by monsterhunter; 06-07-2009 at 11:17 PM..