Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Camaro98

Default Tire Wear?

I'm noticing what looks like curb rash on the road surface of my stock xmod tires. It's not even around the circumference of the tire, but it's definitely worn rubber. Like roughened patches. Is this normal? Can I expect actual wear on my tires to the point where they would have to be replaced?

I have low hours on the cars (can't drive them much in a tiny apartment), but I've put them through about 6 hours worth of driving on a large concrete floor that has some drywall dust.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:15 AM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

depending on your setup its not uncommon to see tire wear. the hotter the setup the more wear you will see. same goes for soft tires vs hard tires. the softer the tire the quicker you will see wear.. i know when i had my chili i would go through tires quite frequently.

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526

Last edited by zippo855; 01-20-2009 at 11:44 AM..
Old 01-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

and you might skid your tires when braking on slipperyer surfaces. this could make "flat spots" in your tires that would eventually lead to ultamit failure if the case is bad enough. it would throw the tire and wheels balance off and make your car do some pretty odd and unpredictable things
Old 01-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro98 View Post
I'm noticing what looks like curb rash on the road surface of my stock xmod tires. It's not even around the circumference of the tire, but it's definitely worn rubber. Like roughened patches. Is this normal? Can I expect actual wear on my tires to the point where they would have to be replaced?

I have low hours on the cars (can't drive them much in a tiny apartment), but I've put them through about 6 hours worth of driving on a large concrete floor that has some drywall dust.
Its pretty normal to get this wear. What I have seen, is the tires perform better over time and become more predictable, especially if the wear can be over the entire surface of the tire. My best tires for racing are the oldest tires in my box!

I have never had Xmod tires tear-up to the point of needing to be retired. However, I have had off-brand tires shred on the inner edges.

+ Nissan GT-R
+ Audi R8
Old 01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to greenday Send a message via Yahoo to greenday

lol, I think this occurs on every Radioshack R/C ever made. All of them have more motor and etc. they always wear. as long as it is not excessive I would not concern myself with it.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
Its pretty normal to get this wear. What I have seen, is the tires perform better over time and become more predictable, especially if the wear can be over the entire surface of the tire. My best tires for racing are the oldest tires in my box!

I have never had Xmod tires tear-up to the point of needing to be retired. However, I have had off-brand tires shred on the inner edges.
ya i have had tirestear on the inner edge. it might just be wear, or i have this slight suspicion that it is being ground up by suspension and steering parts...
Old 01-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Camaro98

Hmm, okay; thanks for the feedback, guys. Hopefully the tires will wear more evenly and not develop flat spots. But if you guys have all seen this, and it's common, then I won't worry about it. Thanks, guys.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (1)

mine are getting pretty worn too... i think it's time for some new ones from atomicmods