Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (5)
Default car engine

right so my dad likes rovers basicly because they're reliable so he just got a rover 25 4 door, anyway i think the ither car is a rover 418 TD (not really interested) and he says hes going to scrap it because its old and the rover 25 costs him half to run like road tax and that, im wanting the engine out of the 418 to tune (belive it or not rover engines can be tuned) and put in a light chassis like a mini (thanks Texan for plan) anyway i can convince him to let me have the engine befor he scraps it?

iv tried asking for it for collage already.....no : /

The Monster Mustang - Link

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air - Link

Old 12-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Elite member

bump

Old 12-31-2008, 07:35 PM
Owner of a 1992 Accord.

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to youngxmodder Send a message via MSN to youngxmodder Send a message via Yahoo to youngxmodder

i wouldn't spend money on a car that you have to fix i would save for a car that runs for a starter and once you save more you an get a project car to work on. like my dad says wait until you have a daily driver first then you can get a project car so when you go get parts you dont have to ride a bicycle.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Elite member

im 16, doing mechanics course at collage so i need the engine and i cant even get a provisional licience until im 17 and i wont have enough to get full licence until im 18 so i ask again, anyway for me to convince him to give me the engine? (BTW the chassis is all rusty, body works no good and its steel panels so its a heavy car)

Old 12-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

That's not what he's getting, youngxmoder.

Anyways, any motor in the world can be tuned, even lawn mower engines. But, wanting to pull the motor out of the older Rover, what sort of engine is it? TD, Turbo Diesel? How big is it, outside deminsions, will it fit in the mini? What sort of maitenance does it need before being dropped into a project car?

As for your dad, a car going to scrap metal is a waste. You can part cars out and get more money if you don't mind a scrap car in your home. Or use that craigslist link I gave in the other thread and post a FS. It's not hard to sell anything on there, even if the car had no motor (assuming you pulled it).

In the US, most scrap yards take cars for about 50-100 bucks, for junkers. I'm sure in the UK it's not much different.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 PM
SPR

try paying for it.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Owner of a 1992 Accord.

Send a message via AIM to youngxmodder Send a message via MSN to youngxmodder Send a message via Yahoo to youngxmodder

i know that he wants the engine from his dad rover but it would cost money to buy the body, parts, and etc. but if he wants to do the modification yea it would cost some money to make everything fit and work properly. the mechanics/autobody/electrical/metal/welding classes where i go to all put money down on a used car and parts for it not just one person pay for everything. im part of the mechanics and autobody class and this years project car is honda civic. and i bet his dad doesn't want scrap in the yard my dad always yells at me even if its my bike.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngxmodder View Post
i know that he wants the engine from his dad rover but it would cost money to buy the body, parts, and etc.
Of course it would cost money, no matter what route you take it costs money. It purely depends on how well you spend that money. He's already decided to plan a build car. By grabbing a car that has everything in running order you save yourself the time and money. Hardest part and possibly the most expensive is getting everything to fit.

But then agian, I've seen Ford 5.0s with a T5 swapped into a volvo 240, including the cost of the Volvo for "$500" Viva la 24 hours of Lemons

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 12-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Owner of a 1992 Accord.

your right it would cost money either way you go but it sounds like you and me have the idea that buying a running car to drive first will save some money and time right? i stated buying a car first in the first post i made.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Elite member

thanks Texan, the engine is a 2litre turbo, 140hp, should fit in mini if mounted in the back and frame built then soundproofed, i think my dad is wasing it abit, shocks are good, brake calipers and disks are good, tyres are brand new. Engine will just need cleaning as its abit dirty on the outside.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289

Your 16 and going to college, you dont seem that smart to be going to college at the age of 16. Or do you mean like a after school thing?

Just do what Texan says, I guess.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Elite member

in uk we can go straight into collage when we have finished high school, and collage is free until we are 19 and the course is only 2 years. And what you meen im not that smart!

Old 01-01-2009, 07:00 AM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckerz View Post
in uk we can go straight into collage when we have finished high school, and collage is free until we are 19 and the course is only 2 years. And what you meen im not that smart!
hehehe... in the US we graduate high school at 17-18.... we have more time in high school unless we drop out or we are a genius and are too smart for high school and then we go right to college... and he says your not a genius... but dude if your already in college then wait until you graduate and save some money for a REAL project car... but if you need an engine for your Mechanics coarse then you should take it but not spend the time or money in putting in in a mini cooper unless the mini is going to be your new daily driver when you can drive..

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 01-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Elite member

it is worth taking it out because its a good engine and the rover its in goes quite fast and thats steel panels, if the mini is all steel panels its ok because my dad has a old friend who makes carbon fibre panels, he will give you them if you give him the oringinal panel.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 AM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

... the mini is a light weight metal.... like aluminum.. put a powerful engine in it and you could go pretty fast....

but i guess if its going to be your daily driver go for it

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

just go for it.
what size engine is the mini?
2.0L gas?
oh well, you get a bigger boot(formerly the engine bay) once you get the engine fitted.
what's your plan?
mid engine rwd?
mid engine awd?
mid engine fwd? <----this is the worst format ever
Old 01-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
... the mini is a light weight metal.... like aluminum.. put a powerful engine in it and you could go pretty fast....

but i guess if its going to be your daily driver go for it
The car is steel. It's just tiny and simple, hence it's light weight. You have seen on in real life right? There's no fancy tricks to the car, it's just SMALL! That, and the lack of safety and luxary items help it too.

The red one is the classic mini he's looking into, sitting next to the newer Cooper S.

13 inch wheels are large on a classic mini.

Quote:
but dude if your already in college then wait until you graduate and save some money for a REAL project car...
What, is this a FAKE project car?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
just go for it.
what size engine is the mini?
2.0L gas?
oh well, you get a bigger boot(formerly the engine bay) once you get the engine fitted.
what's your plan?
mid engine rwd?
mid engine awd?
mid engine fwd? <----this is the worst format ever
mid engine AWD if i can, if not rwd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
The car is steel. It's just tiny and simple, hence it's light weight. You have seen on in real life right? There's no fancy tricks to the car, it's just SMALL! That, and the lack of safety and luxary items help it too.

The red one is the classic mini he's looking into, sitting next to the newer Cooper S.

13 inch wheels are large on a classic mini.

What, is this a FAKE project car?
mini remade the classic in 2000 i think it was a little bigger, that would be better i think to put the engine in, more space and a bigger front boot (will need convertion).

Old 01-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Your not going to find a new cooper stripped out for cheap. People can put in the Chevy Small Block V8 (5.7 liter typically, but can be built to over 7L), what powers my truck) into the classic cooper. Your gonna have no problem with a little rover V8