Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2005, 09:42 PM

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Steadfast
Default help!!! what do I do

I have just bought an xmod and the thing on the tip of the antenna wire (the part that was soldered) wasn't connected

all of it worked expect it only had a range of 2 ft.

if someone can help me here it would be greatly appreciated

------------------------------------------
thanks
Old 01-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Advance member

If it came unsoldered solder it back or if you cant solder just strip the wire and wrap it around the antenna that is what I did before I could solder.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to XspuXtXnikX Send a message via MSN to XspuXtXnikX Send a message via Yahoo to XspuXtXnikX

or if you dont want to rig it up and you just bought it if you still have your receipt take it back and swap it for a new one
Old 01-15-2005, 01:23 AM

thanks but my dad has a elections' solder which buy the way is huge and his wire stripers, well... just guess
could I use the warranty? or take it back. I still have the receipt?
buy the way, there's only 2 copper(very small might I add) wires inside the rubber tube. I may break the wires trying to strip the wire that's a weird sentence. any way (last ?) could you solder though the rubber?
-----------------
thanks for the suggestion
Old 01-15-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XspuXtXnikX
or if you dont want to rig it up and you just bought it if you still have your receipt take it back and swap it for a new one
ya or that and dont ya find it funny how we posted a replay at the same time
Old 01-15-2005, 01:31 AM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to XspuXtXnikX Send a message via MSN to XspuXtXnikX Send a message via Yahoo to XspuXtXnikX

thats is funny.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFastSupra
If it came unsoldered solder it back or if you cant solder just strip the wire and wrap it around the antenna that is what I did before I could solder.
ok, i tryed that and it worked (after 3/4 in. of accdental cutting torough the wire i think ill buy the solder at www.coldheattools.com
----------------------
thanks again
Old 01-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Advance member

thats nice n all but be advised I have bought several as seen on tv things and they usually suck... Just use a regular soildering iron and save yourself the money and headache
Old 01-17-2005, 09:37 PM

well my coz said to get it because he has a friend who bought 1 (a octane RC racer) and said if was the best purchase he had made n a long time too.
he also said, for him at least, it was very handy at the pit stops reconnecting loose wires, he likes it because it heated up so fast and cause it was cordless, perfect tool if ur n 2 racing rc cars(for money)

reg. ones are pricey and the cord gets n the way (sometimes)and I think there big

-----------------------------
my car has on it
-supra
-ful mild body
-hard slicks all round
-stage 2 top speed motor
-as u know an antenna that needs to b resoldered
-and rechargeable ni-mh racing bateries
-going to buy awd upgrade
-everything els... bone stock
-o ya, have a 16" racing antenna :wink:
Old 01-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Advance member

Good I am glad I could help someone, I am also thinking about buying one of thoes coolheat soldering guns tell me how it works.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Advance member

I suppose if you need one for on the go thats not a bad idea but another soildering tool that radio shack has that is just like that is a butane soildering iron its portable light and does the same thing. I dont understand what you mean by the normal soildering irons being expensive though the last one I picked up was only 7.99
Old 01-18-2005, 06:38 PM

this is to superfastsupra-i dont realy know how the cold heat solder works,but all i know is that it works and u et a free wire stripping tool free!
but its 19.95. im using the money i recived for X-mas to pay for it. all i want is something that works, good enough to fix my Xmod's antenna

and this is for u XspuXtXnikX- butane? is'nt that flamable? i dont want to burn my Xmod now do i? but thats a good price at 8 bucks. but i still would'nt give it a try becuse it uses butane. but thanks for the idea.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:07 PM

I seen a review on the coldheat solder iron and they say its good for small soldering needs but not good for bigger wire and also they said the tip is fragile and easy to break.As for the butane solder iron its not an open flame the flame is contained in the tip to prevent burning your project,the butane is good for all soldering needs small and large because the tip is about the same size as the electric one....
Old 01-18-2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter
I seen a review on the coldheat solder iron and they say its good for small soldering needs but not good for bigger wire and also they said the tip is fragile and easy to break.As for the butane solder iron its not an open flame the flame is contained in the tip to prevent burning your project,the butane is good for all soldering needs small and large because the tip is about the same size as the electric one....
thank you for that review "skeeter" but i will probly only use it for "small soldering needs"like reparing my antenna.As for the butane solder.... it would be, quickly tossed into my tool drawer.... and sold or given away later on. Bbut thank you for the review.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Advance member

dont come crying to me when you break that 20.00 soildering iron the butane one is better and is the same general concept its not like your running a open flame its just a different type of heat source for the iron to work. but anyways who cares
Old 01-19-2005, 09:58 PM

just drop the solder arugement already!!!!!!! plz?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Advance member

its not a argument its a matter of expressing a opinion
Old 01-21-2005, 10:28 PM

ya, ur rite, but i picked up one of the butane solders at RS, and it works... ok, tet not the best for wat i would use it for and i got a soldering iron, it doesent frigin work. im taking it all back 2marrow.

o and the coldheat tools solder got 2 my place yesterday, i used that to do some touch ups w/ the other solders. 2 of my batrie solders broke today
maybe all Xmods have poorly made solders or it may b 3 out of 10 who knows.

a tip- when u get a new Xmods, have a solder on hand to make a QUICK repair.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Advance member

No the soildering jobs on all the xmods are pretty weak and the wiring is also. I upgraded all my wiring on my xmods to 18g awg superflex silicone wire. It holds a heavier current its super flexible. On the other subject with the soildering iron, im not implying anything but it might not be the soildering irons that are not working. It might be the operator. I have a butane soildering iron and a regular one that works just fine for all my needs. If you tried those plus the cold heat one and your still having problems im willing to bet that you did something like gunked the soilder on too much trying to get it to stick. Also if you dont have a desoildering tool you might want to invest in one. Also you need Soildering Flux for it to stick properly. I perfer the liquid flux myself. If you were not doing any of that it might be the reason none of it was working
Old 01-22-2005, 09:39 PM

thanks for the idea. how hard is it to upgrade the wire? and the coldheat solder is also a desolder as well. im using the coldheat solder to fix.... my spekers on my home made suround sound system(just ask and ill tell u how to make it) and a few other things around my place.

wat exactly is "slodering flux?"

and im having no more probs. w/ my xmods solders and have actioly learned that if u solder copper wire to the antena, it has better responce, and resolder most od the factory solder connections for a stronger hold.