Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 11-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (5)
Default My Car

so my dad had a nice rover 25 he bought off eBay almost a year ago (severel owners). he had a old rover 214 but got rid because the mot kept costing more each time because the engine was breaking. anyway this 25 had a few problems which were fixed easily then on Tuesday while he was dropping me off at college, cough cough splutter, head gasket blown. Got it to the garage then a day later we get the phone call. the oil and water mixed together and make a cappuccino sort of liquid that has got into all of the engine and has dryied and ceased the engine. my dad now has 2 options, get a replacment engine for £500 with labour charge on top or just get a new car.

his options are either a rover 25 with 1 owner and he knows the guy.

a vauxhall vectra for £2000

or a old ford mondeo.

i personal am liking the vectra

Last edited by deckerz; 01-29-2010 at 02:11 PM..
Old 11-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Elite member

ok no comments ah well no pics, will have them up tomorow, pics of the rover now and my dads new car he bought today. he got a golf gti mk4.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:43 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Personally I would have gone for the Vectra... I've driven both in the past and the Vectra is way better than the Mondeo....

The golf is a golf... good all around car but a step down in the size department but solid and fun to drive so definitely not a bad decision.

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 11-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

wre can you get a 2006 vxr for 2000 grand nothing personal but i doubt it
Old 11-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Elite member

alright so he went for the golf but the night before he went to collect it somebody had crashed into it so he got his deposit back and bought a rover 400 with honda accord engine in it.

but good news for me, he gave me the 25, declared off the road and everything and im just saving now for a new engine £200 - £300 on ebay, a winch and a jack unless the neighbors have one.

body work is perfect, so is chassis, no rust, scratches.

Under the hood.

In the boot lol.

i have parts coming, a chrome rocker/cam cover, e-tech front strut brace, MG ZR grill and smoothed rear boot handle.

Last edited by deckerz; 11-18-2009 at 04:42 PM..
Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (1)

nice score on the car but something about buying a motor on ebay seems unreliable to me
370z-stock
Old 11-18-2009, 11:22 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Look for the 1.6 Honda engine eBay is normally littered with them from stupid kids crashing their tomcats....

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 11-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Elite member

i was thinking honda engine but don't know yet, this is going to be a nice stretched out project. my brother was saying get a golf or audi engine but i said no because it would be difficult to fit and the the hardest bit would be converting to RWD which we hope to do anyway.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:46 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Nah the 1.6 Honda engine from the Rover Tomcat is amazing... best engine they ever put into that line of cars, they should have stuck with it rather than building there own... otherwise you could look at the 2.0 Turbo also from the Tomcat which I think is still from the Honda line of Rover engines a lot of those come up on eBay but they usually need rebuilding.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Elite member

cheers big, i think i will have to invest in one. As it was in a rover it should be easy to fit and by the look of it, it looks pretty much same size engine so hopefully it will fit on the same mounts. of not still shouldn't be able to fit.

is it the same engine as the old rover 214?

EDIT: just did some research, its a perfect transplant, same mounts blah blah.

Last edited by deckerz; 11-19-2009 at 05:51 PM..
Old 11-19-2009, 07:02 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Yeah its the same engine as the 214...

214:

Tomcat:

As you can see pretty much the same car expect the Tomcat was the 2 door performance edition, came with two engines the 1.6 and the 2.0 Turbo both from Honda during the period of time that Rover got there engines from Honda... either one is solid and fast and should be a direct transplant, if you can find a turbo then likelihood is the turbo if the not the whole block needs a rebuild but if you've got the time, skill and tools you may as well go for it.

I had a friend with a 1.6 Tomcat and it was faster than my 2.0 Focus, then another friend had the new shaped 214 with a 2.0 Turbo transplant and NOS, car was ridiculously fast!!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Elite member

great

my dad used to have the 214, was a very nice humming engine but the car weighed quite a bit + the engine was breaking but any engine does after 160000 miles :/ and previous owners who didn't maintain it hehe.

hopefully i can bolt the current transmission straight onto it.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Elite member

double post :S

found out i cant use this engine, its the same as the one thats in my dads new car thats had some trouble. it would fit in yes but it would not be funtional because it used different electricals and pipes and im not really wanting to buy them. the guy at the garage said the only engines that will work are rover/mg engines made between 99 and 05.

So basically the engine im going to get is a replacment ZR/25 1.4, maybe a 1.8.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Elite member

ok so its been a while and i found out big that i cant use that engine, yes it will fit in and exact same mounts but the wiring is different on the engine.

from 1999 the engines had different wiring put on them and the distributor was replaced with a coil.

i would have some pictures but the new cam i got for christmas only had manuals in the box which was a huge dissapointment so have to waait till monday to phone the company to get a replacment.

Last edited by deckerz; 12-26-2009 at 10:25 AM..
Old 12-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)

I didnt even know honda made a turbo engine everything in the states come N/T all they have here is VVVVVVVVVVVVV-TTTTTTTTAAAAAKKKKKKK...... I hate honda people that thing there honda is fast because of a fart can.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Gen 1 junkie !

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to dontspamme Send a message via MSN to dontspamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonx9 View Post
I didnt even know honda made a turbo engine everything in the states come N/T all they have here is VVVVVVVVVVVVV-TTTTTTTTAAAAAKKKKKKK...... I hate honda people that thing there honda is fast because of a fart can.
Wait, what ? N/T ? I think you mean N/A for naturally aspirated. Don't have on Honda, not all of them think their fast just because they have a fart can. Maybe they picked it up cheap and haven't got the time or money to replace the exhaust with a stock exhaust. Plus, some Honda's will run circles around you.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Elite member

ok its been a while, the grill is now removed ready for a face off grill which is basicaly a open mouth grill. Also i have a rover 200 tailgate handle coming that i will colour code to the car and i will colour code the black bumper trim too.

Iv ordered a battery cut of switch which will wire only to the alternator, starter motor and obviously to the battery so the imoblilser and alarm will stay on.

came up with top half of dash design.

original design:

paint design:

haven't installed fireworks n that yet so pretty basic, thanks to bondos tut on carbon fibre paint effect i can save buying CF film.

updates to come.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

Wait... What?

Can you describe what you are trying to do in a way someone other than yourself will be able to understand it?

What is the purpose of the battery cut-off switch?

Why do you need a ECT gauge and Oil gauge on a stock Honda engine?

What series Honda engine is it anyway?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Elite member

hmm should of done that really.

basicaly this is going to be for road and track when complete.
the engine im getting from a friends dad is a mg zr rover 1.8 inline 4 twin cam.

stripping it down then installing uprated pistons, conrods, cams, plugs, head gasket set, ect.

a battery cut off switch has a key of its own that can be removed, when turned off it will cut the power to the alternator and starter motor so even if somebody was to try steal my car they would not be able to start it without the battery cut off key, hot wire wouldn't work. its for security and safety on the track.

the engine is not staying stock, honda engine had the exact same engine mounts, the only difference was they put the timing belts on the right side of the engine when on the rover/mg engine the timing belts are on the left to make room for a bigger induction kit.

Last edited by deckerz; 01-13-2010 at 04:40 PM..
Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Elite member

i bought a brushed aluminium gear knob that i find much eaisier to use and looks alot better, how could i say no at £3.

also a mock up pic of where the cut of switch will go and what it looks like.

EDIT: is it possible for a mod or admin to change the name of the thread to "My Car" ? thanks.

Last edited by deckerz; 01-29-2010 at 11:05 AM..