Thread: Hey guyss
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 PM
washed-up, retired, cool.

Trader Rating: (1)
Default Hey guyss

Ohhhhhsnap, hey guys. So, I had an idea about a month ago, sitting in my room, at my desk. I was looking at my xmod stuff, and thought "WHAT CAN I MAKE?!?!?!?". SO, the thought came to mind: a Gevo. But, not the standard put-the-electronics-from-one-into-the-other-chassis. No. A true Gen-1/Evo hybrid. I wanted the compactness of the rear end of an Evo, but the steering setup of the Gen 1.

I decided to make a drift car somehow, since it'd be cool. You'll see the body later.

So then it started. I got a few measurements, and started putting together a hand-built chassis out of ~25 year old plastic from a model kit. Fail. So, I figured since I'm in Computer Integrated Manufacturing in school, I may as well use the CNC mill and software I have at my disposal. I took more measurements, and made a rough sketch of what I wanted to do. This led to a properly-drawn layout, and then a finalized sketch on CAD software.

So, once this was done, I started the task of importing the CAD sketch into the CNC mill software, and I made the cutting paths.

At this point, I'm waiting until monday to cut it out of 1/16" acrylic. White, translucent red, or translucent amber?

I made a "prototype" chassis from a CD cover to test out the suspension setup, and to modify anything if necessary. Since I want to drift this, I decided to increase the steering angle for massive rear-first entries.

dat angleeeeeeeeee

...and the body:

AE86 MISSLE DRIFT. also seen here: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18064

Things to do:
Figure out AWD
LiOn setup (2 AA's)
Servo choice (HS-55?)
Order some low-offset drifting ramz

Last edited by xmodkidd33; 01-07-2011 at 10:32 PM..