View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMKIV View Post
I was actually going to attend in October aswell. Orlando is so expensive though and i have family issues to take care of. I have a few pics from when i went last summer to check it out. good luck

Did you talk to chris tarentino?
Dude, do it anyway. It would be sweet if we were in class together! I didn't speak with Chris, but I did see him while I was there. My representative was Indrid Gomez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Good news is, if you find a solid shop or dealership, the service side has so far stayed pretty busy compared to the sales side. Unfortunatly, a lot of dealerships don't see it this way and continue keep service, "business as usual".

While the autoindustry can't sell a car, things are still breaking down. My dad, a nearly 30 year ASE Mastertech, works at a local Cadillac dealership. Despite the fact that sales are slow (for everyone), the service side of things keeps moving along and these guys are staying busy. But, when it comes to stupid dealership rules, they can't service cars that are over 10 years, or 100k miles (warranty basically). And many dealerships do this, even motorcycle dealerships. Where does the work go?

Independant shops. Now, I dunno how they do right now, but a friend of mine (owns the black GMC step side used to tow the CST10 home 2 years ago), his shop is still doing quite fine, a good indy shop seems to be resession proof right now, at least here int he houston area. Jimmy can vouch to how busy his stop stays.

Just with how things now, looking at a job with a dealership should be 2nd to an independant shop. In the next few years, were going to loose a lot of domestic dealerships in the process of trimming the fat. Especially under the government rule. On the dealership side, I can tell you it's a scary place to be employed right now. Hopefully in about a 2 years time when you get out, things will be on the growing side, but at this time, the dealerships are shrinking.
Yeah, hopefully things will be better in two years. I'm going to try to work at an independent shop, if I can find an up-scale one. If not, I will look for a dealership that is still on top of things and can go without making huge cuts. As long as there are cars, there will be technicians. I doubt we will have these service-free vehicles or repair robots anytime soon, so its not like techs will be obsolete in the near future.