View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 PM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodcanuck View Post
A choice of designs, diameters, offset, height, deep dish, etc, etc...I would love to give these options, but do you have ANY clue how much work is involved in making just one set. I don't have CAD, so every set I make is a result of several prototypes being made. Colour is a personal choice, so if someone wants blue rims, I could make them blue. As for paint, Corian is nonporous, so I don't think paint would adhere. (And I say 'I don't think' because I am NOT a painter.)
look at this from a buisness point of view.
do you like money?
free material=high profit.

autocad is reletively cheap conscidering how much you could actually make with all but free supplies.
it would pay for itself after the first few batches sold.
there's also the possibility of subbing work to autocad masters like color0 and still turning a profit on every set.
getting finer tools for finer designs would come after selling a few of the basic proto's.
you've got a few fish on the line in less then a day of showing the prototype and this forum makes up a small percentage of the micro-scale hobby.
going by mini-z rims rims pricing(the easier of the two) most vendors sell a set of two for about $5-12.

just about any surface you can think of is paintable with the proper preperation.
there's also the possibility of plasti-electroplating wich is a base coat of paint with a high iron content wich is then electro plated with nickle and zinc(chrome) just like a metal piece would be.
this would of course cut into profits but again,when the materials are free......

i'm not trying to come down on you in any way,i'm just saying that you're fortunate to have access to materials and a CNC.
if i had the resources that you do,i'd be making a killing in this hobby.