View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)
Default Wow what a bad day of wrenching on the Emaxx.

Let me start off with saying, who ever thought phillips head screws was a good idea is about to get a major smack in the face from me if I find them.

The other day I broke a driveshaft on the 3905, my 6 has steel shafts so I am in the process of robbing them from the 6 to put them in the 5.

Whoever wrenched on the 6 before me didn't know how to properly use the right size screw driver for the screws or something, nearly all of them were stripped. It got to the point that I had to bust out the big tools to get these screws out, and I even broke a drill bit. I am non to happy about that right now. I even had to drill the freaking chassis.

So, lets start out with the tools that saved my butt for this process:

Love my drill.

Ez outs for normal screws.

The big boys, used for taking hardened bolts out. Meant for 1:1 cars. Note the broken drill bit, we'll come back to this.

Note the drilling of the chassis, this was to fit the Ez out in there, just to get to the stripped screws.

This proved to not be enough, as shown in this picture:

Hey! There's the other half of my broken drill bit!

Almost all of the screws came out looking like this.

And, a final shot of the work space just because.

All in all, NOT a good day of wrenching. I planned to order new screw kits eventually, looks like this just sped up the process. I've got some on the 3905 that are going to be a nightmare as well, and those are hex heads.