View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to redrkt Send a message via MSN to redrkt Send a message via Yahoo to redrkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDisFASTER View Post
Any RTR nitro, specifically a touring car or stadium truck from Team Associated (ZING!), Team Losi, HPI (eck), and Tamiya are all great for beginners. You should have a budget of at least $500. $300 for the vehicle, and $200 for maintenance, replacement parts, and tuning parts (specialty tools).

If you haven't done anything hobby grade R/C, which I would assume you haven't, since you just Copypasta'd Tower's list, I would HIGHLY recommend you begin with electric R/C first. It will be MUCH easier and less of a headache! And mind you, less expensive
OK I would not call Associated, Losi, or HPI beginner Nitro.
And you had better have at least $1k to spend (possibly more) because the car/truck/buggy is going to run you at least $500 plus all the accessories(NO nitro is really RTR out of the box, because they cannot ship fuel, and the batteries need at least 4 hours to charge correctly out of the box)

I do agree that starting with electric's is a lot easier and less expensive until you start having to replace batteries and parts(which cost the same whether you are running nitro or electric)

AND I sure as hell would not buy anything made by Exceed (if you know nitro you will notice it is an HPI knockoff) Hell their entire site looks like a mangled HPI site.

Going from 1/28th scale (hobby grade) to the larger scales just cost more money proportionate to the scale you upgrade to.

My next Large Scale is the 1/5th scale HPI Baja 5B Retail price right around $1k but runs on pump gas and 2 stroke oil not that **** expensive Nitro (around $22/gal here in Houston)

Best of luck upgrading to the larger Hobby Grade r/cs if you have any questions you can PM me or email me and I will get right back to you asap.