View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to BulletsRain

CB antenna Fail

Well, planned to mount my firestik today... but... we got in a hurry, drilled the hole way too big on the first mount, cut and grinded a second one, painfully drilled another hole. Then we drilled the hols under the driver side tail light, well a little in front of it... Well guess what? We never freaking measured the mount so it was way to short. It needs to be about 2 inches longer I think. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Pics..

Spot where it's mounted

Small tight hole to reach the bolts to put the nuts on. That hole made me mad.

As you can clearly see, this mount = fail.

More

Alright well first off, I got to drive in some dense fog this morning. I think it's weird because the camera pics look so much clearer than it actually was. At one point I was using my phone to drive because I could see the road with the phone and I really couldn't see more than 40 feet in front of me. Anyways, took fog pics.

Got the mount done for the antenna.. it is Stainless steel, and I painted it black.

Location where I decided to put the bracket...

Coax cable running through this hole

This is right behind that removable panel in the rear cargo area on the driver side in ZJ's.

Also decided to paint this step thing

I had to take a pic with the bumper off

The mount done

Antenna

Another pic

Step thing

Random pic out when I was trying to tune the antenna tonight..

Okay... and now I think I have a problem. When tuning the antenna, I got really really high SWR's. I checked my coax, moved the washers around to see if that was it... nothing changed. It reads the same high SWR every time. I finally got a hold of my friend to see how the washer went, and I had them right so I was really confused. He said I should of sanded down the spot where the bracket mounted to the body, and I probably should of...
What do you guys think is causing the high SWR? I mean I know I mounted the antenna low, but I kind of figured it would still work... Do I need to raise it up more?

I just really want to get it right... I haven't had my CB hooked up in a long time. I want it back :laugh:

Any help is appreciated.